* Re: Fwd: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-22  8:42 siep.kroonenberg
From: siep.kroonenberg @ 2000-11-22  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On 21 Nov, Frans Goddijn wrote:
> Siep quoted a looong set of quotes and added:
>
>> I would say that by not documenting `fine points of typo' in
> the manual,
>> you are locking out the non-programmers, not the non-designers.
>
> I am not a programmer and also not a designer. I merely want to
> profit as simply as possible from the wonderful powers of
> ConTeXt. I pour in that ascii and ConTeXt puts out nice looking
> documents.
>
> Did you forget adding a number of smileys here or are you really
> sour and bitter? What I've seen so far is that Hans is
> contributing immense amounts of time on ConTeXt development,
> making it available for free for those who might enjoy using it
> and he is always willing to explain where extra options are and
> what's on his to-do list. He offers help on this list and on
> TEX-NL. You also help out people who've got stuck somewhere which
> is great and you spend lots of time on MAPS for which everyone is
> grateful as well. I think it's helpful when you point out to-do's
> for Hans' list but sometimes it seems like you want to list a
> number of arguments why you should not be forced to use ConTeXt.
> Nobody here *is* pushing you! ;-)))
>
> Note that smiley there.
>
> Frans

I am using Context because of the maps and because of my work, and I
don't always find it easy to handle my frustrations in a constructive
way. Sorry.

--
Siep Kroonenberg
Kluwer Academic Publishers, Prepress Department

* Re: Fwd: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-22  9:50 ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-11-22  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hello Siep,

> I am using Context because of the maps and because of my work,
and I
> don't always find it easy to handle my frustrations in a
constructive
> way. Sorry.

Don't feel *too* bad about it. In fact, I have done some teeth
grinding myself in the past but that's with any system, LaTeX,
ConTeXt, operating systems; It happens when I'm convinced that
what I want is just an inch away but I can't seem to get there in
one jump. I am typically an impatient student, as I want to be
impressed by great results that come instantaneous and that
rarely happens. I see something "not working" as a problem
messing up my day. A mutual friend like Taco seems to welcome any
software problem as one more festive opportunity to conquer it.
Herman, another friend, sees a source of amusement in any bug as
if thesebugs were specifically hidden there for him to discover.
If something won't work and I don't understand why, it makes me
feel unintelligent and I want it solved for me right away ;-))
And the fun part is that with (free!) software like ConTeXt it
usually is! Thanks Hans! And Taco!

Groet!

Frans

* Re: Fwd: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-22 11:12   ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-11-22 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frans Goddijn wrote:
> Don't feel *too* bad about it. In fact, I have done some teeth
> grinding myself in the past but that's with any system, LaTeX,
> ConTeXt, operating systems; It happens when I'm convinced that

Thank you for your consolation!

I just sent my book to the printshop without all problems solved.
With a layout program like QuarkXPress I could have fixed most
by hand. Therefore some other things like t.o.c., index, footnotes
would have been extremely annoying to do. All in all I think, I
would have needed the same time. I'll stay with ConTeXt.

My next big project is a twomonthly magazine. The workflow must
run until the end of 2001. I think that's possible. ;-)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://angerweit.tikon.ch/lieder/
http://www.planet-interkom.de/fiee.visuelle/formelsammlung.html

* Re: Fwd: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-22 15:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-22 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 12:12 PM 11/22/00 +0100, Hraban wrote:
>Frans Goddijn wrote:
>> Don't feel *too* bad about it. In fact, I have done some teeth
>> grinding myself in the past but that's with any system, LaTeX,
>> ConTeXt, operating systems; It happens when I'm convinced that
>
>Thank you for your consolation!
>
>I just sent my book to the printshop without all problems solved.
>With a layout program like QuarkXPress I could have fixed most
>by hand. Therefore some other things like t.o.c., index, footnotes
>would have been extremely annoying to do. All in all I think, I
>would have needed the same time. I'll stay with ConTeXt.

If you clearly formulate the problems and supply minimal sample files, i'll
see what can be solved,

>My next big project is a twomonthly magazine. The workflow must
>run until the end of 2001. I think that's possible. ;-)

Guess so,

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Fwd: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-22 16:16       ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-11-22 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> If you clearly formulate the problems and supply minimal sample files, i'll
> see what can be solved,

Thanks, but too late.
I didn't manage to get "empty" pages really empty -- the printshop will
not impose them.
There were some widows and orphants left; my manual tricks (with \blank
or \strut\par or \vfill) didn't work everywhere -- not *that* bad.
The index has some ugly column breaks, couldn't find out how to fix that.

(I learned not to use a "new" program for a big project that has a date...)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://angerweit.tikon.ch/lieder/
http://www.planet-interkom.de/fiee.visuelle/formelsammlung.html (neu)

* Re: Fwd: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-22 16:39         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-22 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 05:16 PM 11/22/00 +0100, Hraban wrote:
>Hans Hagen wrote:
>> If you clearly formulate the problems and supply minimal sample files, i'll
>> see what can be solved,
>
>Thanks, but too late.
>I didn't manage to get "empty" pages really empty -- the printshop will
>not impose them.

\startstandardmakeup

\stopstandardmakeup

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Fwd: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-22 16:58           ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-11-22 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> >I didn't manage to get "empty" pages really empty -- the printshop will
> >not impose them.
>
> \startstandardmakeup
>
> \stopstandardmakeup

We had discussed that already: The pages must be numbered, but the numbers
(and headers etc.) must not be shown.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

@ 2000-11-22 17:38             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-22 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 05:58 PM 11/22/00 +0100, Hraban wrote:
>Hans Hagen wrote:
>> >I didn't manage to get "empty" pages really empty -- the printshop will
>> >not impose them.
>>
>> \startstandardmakeup
>>
>> \stopstandardmakeup
>
>We had discussed that already: The pages must be numbered, but the numbers
>(and headers etc.) must not be shown.

\page \noheaderandfooterlines \strut \page

or

\page[left]
\page[right]
\page[+1]

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Fwd: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-22 18:28         ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-11-22 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Hraban wrote:

> There were some widows and orphants left; my manual tricks (with \blank
> or \strut\par or \vfill) didn't work everywhere -- not *that* bad.

Perhaps making a few pages somewhat smaller or larger would have worked
out quite nicely... :-)

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* changing layout length (was: beginner's questions)
@ 2000-11-23 17:07           ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-11-23 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Berend de Boer wrote:
> > There were some widows and orphants left; my manual tricks (with \blank
> > or \strut\par or \vfill) didn't work everywhere -- not *that* bad.
>
> Perhaps making a few pages somewhat smaller or larger would have worked
> out quite nicely... :-)

Thank you for your tip, even if I damned it (sorry, but you suggested to
change the width), and imagine -- I used \adaptlayout where it could fit
my needs, made some pages "longer" or "shorter", but only if the facing
pages didn't get different lengths.
But \adaptlayout has no effect with contents or registers. (Would that
be possible, Hans? Would nice if one could use the same command all over.)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

@ 2000-11-23 17:12               ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-11-23 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> \page \noheaderandfooterlines \strut \page

I wished I had found that in the docs in time.

I'll send you a copy when it's printed & bound.
I'm sure you will find many details that I could have done better...
(But it has to be ready before christmas.)

EOT

Let's talk about something completely different... ;-)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---