* Re: Lucida Bright fonts (was Re: Context equivalent to \kern-1pt)
       [not found] <F275KzGZuNY1SWoBDys0000d5fd@hotmail.com>
@ 2000-12-10 10:44 ` siepo
From: siepo @ 2000-12-10 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

(Didn't this start on the Context list?  Anyhow, I am moving it back
there...)

On  4 Dec, Maarten Wisse wrote:

>>The Linux version comes with Type1 versions of the Lucida fonts.
> Sorry to take so much time before answering. It's true. They are
> there, but it seems that they are in Windows 1250 encoding. Can they
> be used without problems with the existing tfm etc. files in for
> instance TeTeX? Greetings,
>

> Maarten

And I took a long time answering too...

My guess is that it woould only sort-of work. Does anybody have more
concrete information or is willing to sort this out?

--
Siep Kroonenberg

* Re: Lucida Bright fonts (was Re: Context equivalent to \kern-1pt)
@ 2000-12-11  9:17   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2000-12-11  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

siepo@client44-3.kabelA.oprit.rug.nl wrote:

> My guess is that it woould only sort-of work. Does anybody have more
> concrete information or is willing to sort this out?

I had a look. The version with StarOffice is version 1.000 by
Bigelow&Holmes
(my YandY is version 1.008), and it misses a number of characters.
Compared
to texnansi encoding, it (the 1252 encoded one) misses

- ff,ffi,ffl ligs
- dot, breve, macron, ring accents
- dotlessj
- lstroke and Lstoke
- [SZ]caron, [sz]caron, Yacute (these are in the 1250 one)
- [123]superscript, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 fractions, mu
- thorn, Thorn, eth, ETH
- brokenvert, daggerdbl, permille, minus

- and the bullet dot is a *lot* heavier

If your text is in english, probably the only thing that needs attention
are the missing ligatures (lest you get holes in your words)

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Lucida Bright fonts (was Re: Context equivalent to \kern-1pt)
@ 2000-11-22  7:50 siep.kroonenberg
From: siep.kroonenberg @ 2000-11-22  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On 21 Nov, Christopher Tipper wrote:
>> > Maarten Wisse
>> >
>> > P.S. Just a note which might be interesting for ConTeXt users. Hans
>> > uses Lucida fonts quite frequently, but they are not free. Now, in
>> > XFree86 4.0, the new version of Windows which is used on Linux
>> > distributions, Y&Y has freely provided a font called Lucidux which is
>> > a clone of Lucida. Make tfm and vf out of that, and you have at least
>> > Lucida, Lucida Bright and Lucida Sans. Nice for presentations for
>> > instance. Just change the presentation style file to Lucidux and it's
>> > fixed.
>>
>> The Type1 versions of the Lucida fonts come with StarOffice 5.2, which
>> is free.
>>
>> Siep
>
> I've taken about 8 minutes looking at this issue with StarOffice 5.2 on
windows, and it's not quite true. Certainly when I distill documents,
Lucida comes out in native Type 1 in the output pdf's, but further
investigation suggests that they start life as TrueType .ttf files,
which of course lack ligatures and proper font-hinting. From what I can
gather, StarOffice relies heavily on the JRE, which seems to have a bunch
of classes to convert TrueType to Type1 "on-the-fly". Maybe somebody could
correct me on this? Maybe different on Unices?

> Christopher

The Linux version comes with Type1 versions of the Lucida fonts.

--
Siep Kroonenberg
Kluwer Academic Publishers, Prepress Department
Achterom 119, 3311 KB Dordrecht, The Netherlands
siep.kroonenberg@wkap.nl

* Lucida Bright fonts (was Re: Context equivalent to \kern-1pt)
@ 2000-11-21 16:16 ` Christopher Tipper
From: Christopher Tipper @ 2000-11-21 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context