* idea: titles in tocs, menues, headers and footers
@ 2000-12-18 21:15 Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-12-18 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello happy contextuals,

while making a document to an interactive one, I thougt about titles.  One
of the main advantages (between many, many others ;-)) of (La/Con)TeX(t) is
the easy way to table of contents, menues and living page titles (1). But
these have different requirements:

1. titles should be verbose and explanatory and so are often long
2. toc lines should be like titles but not too long
3. page titles must fit into one line
4. menu entries have to be short

So the ConTeXt way of discarding some part of the title with \nomarking is
in my eyes not suited for page titles and menu entries.

What about different (configurable) levels of title names?  Maybe with a
fixed structure like:
  \title[short="Menues",middle="Menues explained"]{How to make interactive
     menues"}
or with configurable levels
  \newtitlelevel{veryshort,long}

And then when you place your toc (or lof, lot) you can give the level that
should be used for it.

What do you think about this feature?  Or is there an easy way to achieve
this with the present commands?

Uwe

(1) What is the english word for "Kolumnen-" oder "Rubriktitel"?  Does
anybody know an online dictionary for typography?)

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: idea: titles in tocs, menues, headers and footers
@ 2000-12-19 11:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-12-19 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:15 PM 12/18/00 +0100, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>Hello happy contextuals,

glad that you're happy

>while making a document to an interactive one, I thougt about titles.  One
>of the main advantages (between many, many others ;-)) of (La/Con)TeX(t) is
>the easy way to table of contents, menues and living page titles (1). But
>these have different requirements:
>
>1. titles should be verbose and explanatory and so are often long
>2. toc lines should be like titles but not too long
>3. page titles must fit into one line
>4. menu entries have to be short

For this we often set [maxwidth=...] in menus or lists.

>So the ConTeXt way of discarding some part of the title with \nomarking is
>in my eyes not suited for page titles and menu entries.
>
>What about different (configurable) levels of title names?  Maybe with a
>fixed structure like:
>  \title[short="Menues",middle="Menues explained"]{How to make interactive
>     menues"}
>or with configurable levels
>  \newtitlelevel{veryshort,long}
>
>And then when you place your toc (or lof, lot) you can give the level that
>should be used for it.
>
>What do you think about this feature?  Or is there an easy way to achieve
>this with the present commands?

\unexpanded\def\titles%
  {\doquintuplegroupempty\dotitles}

\def\dotitles#1#2#3#4#5%
  {\ifcase\titlelevel\or
     #1\or#2\or#3\or#4\or#5\else wrong level%
   \fi}

\def\titlelevel{1}

\starttext

{\def\titlelevel{2}\placelist[section]}
{\def\titlelevel{3}\placelist[section]}

\section{\titles{one}{first}{dit is de eerste}}
\section{\titles{two}{second}{en dit de tweede}}
\section{\titles{three}{third}{vooruit, een derde}}

\stoptext

I can think of cooking this into the head mechanism [a similar mechanism is
present in references, where one can have more that just a simple ref].

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: idea: titles in tocs, menues, headers and footers
@ 2000-12-19 19:49 ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-12-19 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Koloska wrote:
> (1) What is the english word for "Kolumnen-" oder "Rubriktitel"?  Does

Header header ;-)
lebender Kolumnentitel: running head
toter ~: folio / page number
Rubrik: section / column
Rubriktitel: heading

> anybody know an online dictionary for typography?)

Leider nicht. Sag' mir bitte Bescheid, wenn du eins findest.
Laut Aussage meiner Lehrer an der Fachschule für Drucktechnik
ist leider auch das einzige empfehlenswerte gedruckte Fach-
wörterbuch vergriffen. :-(

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://angerweit.tikon.ch/