* Background on the "page" of the first page
@ 2001-01-06 17:05 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2001-01-06 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'd like to have a fency background and a colour on the first (and with
doublesided also on the last page). Somehow I cannot figure out how to
do so. I either get an error message, or not the whole page has that
background or all pages have that background. (I tried
\backgrounds[page][state=stop] after the first page with no success.)

Tobias
--
This above all: To thine own self be true / And it must follow as
the night the day / Thou canst not then be false to any man.

* Re: Background on the "page" of the first page
@ 2001-01-06 21:25 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-06 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

At 06:05 PM 1/6/01 +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to have a fency background and a colour on the first (and with
>doublesided also on the last page). Somehow I cannot figure out how to
>do so. I either get an error message, or not the whole page has that
>background or all pages have that background. (I tried
>\backgrounds[page][state=stop] after the first page with no success.)

Just do:

\setupbackgrounds
  [page][background=color,backgroundcolor=red]

\setupbackgrounds
  [page][background=]

So, there is no state involved. See s-pre-*.tex for more examples.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Background on the "page" of the first page
@ 2001-01-07 16:42   ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2001-01-07 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> >I'd like to have a fency background and a colour on the first (and with
> >doublesided also on the last page). Somehow I cannot figure out how to

If you want a picture as background, try this:

You need a picture "bild.pdf" that has the same proportions as your page.

\useexternalfigure[hintergrund][bild][width=21.5cm]
% width about 5 mm wider than the page, that it can be cropped
\defineoverlay[titelbild][{\externalfigure[hintergrund]}]
% becomes automatically centered

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=titelbild]
% instead of page you may say rightpage or leftpage

\setupbackgrounds	[rightpage][background=]
% switch it off afterwards

--
*corvus tecum*
  -_hraban_-

* Re: Background on the "page" of the first page
@ 2001-01-07 23:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-07 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 05:42 PM 1/7/01 +0100, Hraban wrote:
>Hans Hagen wrote:
>> >I'd like to have a fency background and a colour on the first (and with
>> >doublesided also on the last page). Somehow I cannot figure out how to
>
>If you want a picture as background, try this:
>
>You need a picture "bild.pdf" that has the same proportions as your page.
>
>\useexternalfigure[hintergrund][bild][width=21.5cm]
>% width about 5 mm wider than the page, that it can be cropped
>\defineoverlay[titelbild][{\externalfigure[hintergrund]}]
>% becomes automatically centered
>
>\setupbackgrounds[page][background=titelbild]
>% instead of page you may say rightpage or leftpage
>
>\setupbackgrounds	[rightpage][background=]
>% switch it off afterwards

There is a better way -)

First, you can use \overlaywidth and \overlayheight as dimensions, so that
you don't have to have explicit sizes:

\defineoverlay[titelbild][{\externalfigure[hintergrund][width=\overlaywidth,
height=\overlayheight]}]

a bit shorter is:

  \defineoverlay[titelbild][\overlayfigure{hintergrund}]

Concerning the .5cm overshoot,

  \setupbackgrounds[page][background=titelbild,backgroundoffset=2.5mm]

will do the trick.

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* transparent PNG on a coloured background
@ 2001-01-08 20:01   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2001-01-08 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Hi Hans, hi all,

I now have a problem with a logo (PNG file) which is round and has a
transparent background. I simply insert it using \externalfigure and the
background of the transparent parts is white (not the colour of that
page).

Tobias

* Re: transparent PNG on a coloured background
@ 2001-01-10 10:00     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-10 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Han The Thanh, ntg-context

At 08:37 PM 1/9/01 +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:
>Hi Han The Thanh,
>
>> transparency in pdf is not support in the current version of pdf yet (1.3,
>> acrobat 4.x), so the alpha channel of png figures will be ignored.

Do you mean, in the png inclusion? Does the png library support it?

>Who bothers with PDF 1.3, why don't you use PDF 1.4?

Who knows what that is? Does adobe keep us informed then?

>As far as I know only Adobe Illustrator writes it so far, but since TeX
>is always on the leading edge.
>
>If you are concerned that one cannot view it -- have a look at
>Ghostscript 6.50.

What happens in 1.3 viewers if it it used?

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: transparent PNG on a coloured background
@ 2001-01-09 19:37   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2001-01-09 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Han The Thanh,

> transparency in pdf is not support in the current version of pdf yet (1.3,
> acrobat 4.x), so the alpha channel of png figures will be ignored.

Who bothers with PDF 1.3, why don't you use PDF 1.4?

As far as I know only Adobe Illustrator writes it so far, but since TeX
is always on the leading edge.

If you are concerned that one cannot view it -- have a look at
Ghostscript 6.50.

See for reference:
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/technotes.html#acrobat-pdf
http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/AFPL/6.50/Language.htm

With warm regards (and looking forward),

Tobias

--

@ 2001-01-09 15:16 ` Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2001-01-09 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi,

> > I now have a problem with a logo (PNG file) which is round and has a
> > transparent background. I simply insert it using \externalfigure and the
> > background of the transparent parts is white (not the colour of that
> > page).
> >
> > Tobias
>
> I remember having this problem with [pdf]latex too.

transparency in pdf is not support in the current version of pdf yet (1.3,
acrobat 4.x), so the alpha channel of png figures will be ignored.

Thanh

* Re: transparent PNG on a coloured background
@ 2001-01-09 14:33 siep.kroonenberg
From: siep.kroonenberg @ 2001-01-09 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  8 Jan, Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Hi Hans, hi all,
>
> I now have a problem with a logo (PNG file) which is round and has a
> transparent background. I simply insert it using \externalfigure and the
> background of the transparent parts is white (not the colour of that
> page).
>
> Tobias

I remember having this problem with [pdf]latex too.

--
Siep Kroonenberg
Kluwer Academic Publishers, Prepress Department
Achterom 119, 3311 KB Dordrecht, The Netherlands
siep.kroonenberg@wkap.nl