From: Andreas Fieger <andreas.fieger@ServiceBarometer.de>
Subject: problem with supp-pdf.tex
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:53:34 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear all,

after installing a new TeX (Web2C 7.3.2x) I' having a problem
with included MetaPost figures. I'm using pdflatex to compile,
but as I found supp-pdf.tex (part of conTeXt) to be involved,
I hope I'm not off topic on this list.

I include the source with further descriptions and the
results I found so far below.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andreas

% TeX used to compile:
% pdfTeX 3.14159-14f-released-20000525 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
%
% Result:
% badly positioned text after graphics inclusion by
% \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx} and \includegraphics{<file>}
% which also reads supp-pdf.tex from the Context macro package.
%
% The graphics file mptest.mps is produced by
%
%   beginfig(1);
%     label("a simple graphics file", origin);
%   endfig;
%   end
%
% and simply
%
%   cp mptest.1 mptest.mps
%
%
% The definitions in supp-pdf.tex seem to be the problem:
% Version 1999.26.01 produces the badly positioned text, whereas
% Version 2000.04.28 produces an error in the MetaPost label
% (extra `[' and `]' arround words).
%
% The difference between the two Versions seems to be the bounding box
% as we can see from the \fbox{} output. With Version 2000.04.28 the BB
is
% correct (the text extends the BB only because of the additional `['s).
%
% Further, we only observe the problem only with
%   label("This is a simple graphics file", origin);
% not with
%   label(btex This is a simple graphics file etex, origin);
% as this results in different ps code where every word is
% positioned by itself and the problem seems to be with the
% spaces between words.
%
% By runnning diff on the two versions of supp-pdf.tex
% and experimenting a bit (without really understanding
% the \TeX-code) we find (?) the problem in
%
%            [\gMPa\scratchcounter]\space
%
% (see definition of \handleMPfshow in sup-pdf.tex version=2000.04.28).
%
% If we change it to
%
%            \gMPa\scratchcounter\space
%
% everything seems to work fine (except for a slightly too narrow
% bounding box which is probabply due to the missing `space-character'
% in cmr; if we change the font by using defaultfont:="phvr8r"; the
% bounding box is OK).
%
% I don't understand the concept behind the macro definition
% but there surely is some reason to have the `[' and `]'
% I deleted. I simply did not observe it yet.
%

\documentclass[pdftex]{article}

\usepackage{graphicx}

\begin{document}

Text only: pagenumber in bottom center position.

\newpage

Text \par \fbox{\includegraphics{mptest.mps}} \par plus graphics:
pagenumber and text following graphics inclusion not properly
positioned or `[' `]' arround words (depending on the version
of supp-pdf.tex read in above).

\end{document}

--
Andreas Fieger