* Re: Chapter-subtitle and a short version of a (long) chapter title to fit in the header
       [not found] <mailman.1752.1485246889.2018.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2017-01-24 11:37 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2017-01-24 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 24 Jan 2017, at 09:34 , Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, Robert Blackstone wrote:
>
>> So my main problem is that I need, in the command \startchapter, a third
>> form for the chapter title to fit in the header and a compatible version
>> of the setup for the headertexts.
>
> This is what the `marking` key is for.
>
> \starttext
> \startchapter[title={Title}, list={What goes to table of contents},
> marking={What goes to header and footers}]

> \stopchapter
> \stoptext
>
> Aditya
Thanks Aditya.
This is what I needed.

Best regards,
Robert

* Re: Chapter-subtitle and a short version of a( long) chapter title to fit in the header
@ 2017-01-23 22:46 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2017-01-23 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-01-10 11:23 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2017-01-10 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

Presently I’m restyling a PhD-dissertation to make it conform to the requirements of an external publisher.

One of the items is the form of the chapter-heads.
What would be needed on the first page of a chapter, Chapter 1 for instance, is:

- Chapter 1  (midaligned, boldface, smallish size (\tfa))
- some vertical space
- Chapter title (midaligned, SmallCaps, slanted, \tfc)
- some vertical space
- (for some chapters) Chapter subtitle, (midaligned, SmallCaps, slanted, \tfb or smaller)

Furthermore I would need a header with the chapter-title on the even-numbered pages and the section-title on the odd-numbered pages.
The problem here is that some of the chapter titles are too long for this and they overlap the pagenumbers in the header.
That is why I would need a shorter form of the chapter title and in some cases a main title and a subtitle.

As far as I know, in the command to start a chapter there is no possibility to introduce, in addition to the special version of the title for the ToC, another special, shorter, version of the title for the header.   nor a subtitle.

I use:

\startchapter[bookmark=,list={Accompaniment in the 16th and 17th century and the development of BC},marking=,reference=ch:HistDevel,title={Accompaniment in the sixteenth and seventeenth century and the development of basso continuo}]%[a=a,b=b]

For the headertexts I use what I found on  http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Headers_and_Footers and it works quite well:

 %%%%%%%%%%%
\setupheadertexts[]
\setupheadertexts[\setups{text a}][][][\setups{text b}]

\startsetups[text a]
  \rlap{\sc \getmarking[section]}
  \hfill
  \llap{\pagenumber}
\stopsetups

\startsetups[text b]
  \rlap{\pagenumber}
  \hfill
  \llap{\sc \getmarking[chapter]}
\stopsetups

So my main problem is that I need, in the command \startchapter, a third form for the chapter title to fit in the header and a compatible version of the setup for the headertexts.

I did try to extract that from the ConTeXt wiki but I soon got lost.

Thanks  in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Robert Blackstone