* Re: Acrobat Reader 5.0 available / Ghostscript 7.0 available
       [not found] <Pine.BSF.4.30.0104190934040.39167-100000@ringo.physik.fu-berlin.de>
@ 2001-04-19 10:25 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-04-19 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Tobias,

> > Does anybody know what the "illustrator 9 graphics that contain
> > transparancy" really are? That sounds like something that is potentially
> > interesting.
> Note that you only wrote to me not to the list.

Corrected that later by sending the message to the list as well :)

> Well there is:
> http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/technotes/acrobatpdf.html
>
> PDF: Changes from Version 1.3 to 1.4
> #5409   03/26/01 (PDF: 781 KB / 236 pages)
>
> Which contains a chapter: "Transparency in PDF"

Just browsed through it. Sounds like the only two programs
in the world that are capable of providing the correct
(read: implemented in Reader) output are Photoshop and
Illustrator. I get the impression that the specs are a
straight conversion from AP/AI's layer/channel options,
and that Reader is actually sharing code with these programs.
It also leads me to expect that the Linux version will be
some months away and will reach new heights on the
bug per feature ratio.  :(

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Acrobat Reader 5.0 available / Ghostscript 7.0 available
@ 2001-04-19  7:28     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-04-19  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 02:04 PM 4/18/01 +0200, S2P development wrote:
>
> >I found this on the feature list:
> >
> >  What makes Acrobat Reader 5.0 better than previous versions?
> >  -- Compatibility with previous versions of Acrobat Reader
> >
> >Now that's funny ;)
>
> Not at all. Acrobat 5.0 reports a problem with th emetafun manual. Error
> 18. Does anyone know what this is (the doc views ok)?

I certainly don't. And I cannot test it either :(
--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Acrobat Reader 5.0 available / Ghostscript 7.0 available
@ 2001-04-18 15:56   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-04-18 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:04 PM 4/18/01 +0200, S2P development wrote:

>I found this on the feature list:
>
>  What makes Acrobat Reader 5.0 better than previous versions?
>  -- Compatibility with previous versions of Acrobat Reader
>
>Now that's funny ;)

Not at all. Acrobat 5.0 reports a problem with th emetafun manual. Error
18. Does anyone know what this is (the doc views ok)?

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Acrobat Reader 5.0 available / Ghostscript 7.0 available
@ 2001-04-18 14:14   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-04-18 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:04 PM 4/18/01 +0200, S2P development wrote:
>Tobias Burnus wrote:
>>
>> The Acrobat Reader 5.0 is available from
>
>Well, the macintosh and win9x versions are :(
>
>I found this on the feature list:
>
>  What makes Acrobat Reader 5.0 better than previous versions?
>  -- Compatibility with previous versions of Acrobat Reader
>
>Now that's funny ;)

indeed, so we may expect the same bugs

>Does anybody know what the "illustrator 9 graphics that contain
>transparancy" really are? That sounds like something that is potentially
>interesting.

I looked into transparance but could not find an example and gs crashed on
my rough stuff. Looks doable.

@ 2001-04-18 12:04 ` S2P development
From: S2P development @ 2001-04-18 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-04-18 11:14 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2001-04-18 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tobias Burnus

The Acrobat Reader 5.0 is available from
   ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader
Note that the FTP server is really(!) crowed.

Moreover: Ghostscript 7.0 (AFPL) is available and 6.51 (GNU) will come in
the next days:
  http://www.ghostscript.com/article/11.html

With warm regards from Bologna,

Tobias