* Multicolumn itemizations - again...
@ 2008-11-05 20:09 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-11-05 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have

\setupitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro,columns,two][stopper=)]

in the environment.  In one place, however, I want to have a one-column
itemization.  What do I do?  I thought that

\startitemize[columns,one]

would override the environment setting - but it didn't work.

I tried to do something like this:

\defineitemgroup[onecolumnitemize]
\setuponecolumnitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro][stopper=)]

but it didn't work - still the settings from \setupitemize[2][...] were
in use.

What's going on?

Greets

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

- Why are vim users so terribly egocentric?
- Because they begin every sentence with `I'.

* Re: Multicolumn itemizations - again...
@ 2008-11-05 20:39 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-11-05 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 09:09:06PM +0100, Marcin Borkowski napisał(a):
> Hi,
>
> I have
>
> \setupitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro,columns,two][stopper=)]
>
> in the environment.  In one place, however, I want to have a one-column
> itemization.  What do I do?  I thought that
>
> \startitemize[columns,one]
>
> would override the environment setting - but it didn't work.
>
> I tried to do something like this:
>
> \defineitemgroup[onecolumnitemize]
> \setuponecolumnitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro][stopper=)]
>
> but it didn't work - still the settings from \setupitemize[2][...] were
> in use.
>
> What's going on?

Before anyone asks me for an example, here it is:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Mbork
(the last part)

Greets

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

Jest tak. Friedman ma weksel Schapira z żyrem Glasa i windykator jest
Balenstein. On daje dwadzieścia pięć procent franko loko, towar jest u
Lutmana, tylko ten towar jest zajęty przez Honigmana z powodu weksel
Roitberga. Za ten weksel Roitberga można dostać gwarancję od jego
teścia Rozenzweiga, tylko on jest przepisany na Rozenzweigową, a
Rozenzweigowa jest chora.
                                    (Kabaret Dudek)

* Re: Multicolumn itemizations - again...
@ 2008-11-06  8:40   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-06  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> Dnia Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 09:09:06PM +0100, Marcin Borkowski napisał(a):
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have
>>
>> \setupitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro,columns,two][stopper=)]
>>
>> in the environment.  In one place, however, I want to have a one-column
>> itemization.  What do I do?  I thought that
>>
>> \startitemize[columns,one]
>>
>> would override the environment setting - but it didn't work.
>>
>> I tried to do something like this:
>>
>> \defineitemgroup[onecolumnitemize]
>> \setuponecolumnitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro][stopper=)]
>>
>> but it didn't work - still the settings from \setupitemize[2][...] were
>> in use.
>>
>> What's going on?
>
> Before anyone asks me for an example, here it is:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Mbork
> (the last part)

concerning the intro ... mixed one-two column modes are somewhat tricky
and have limitations (if only because tex itself has no concept of
columns); when mkiv is further down the road i'll look into multi
columns and see if i can provide more control, but for that i need to
implement a few other things first

nested itemizations are currently not possible (or more precisely: they
are (they are intercepted simply because there is no guarantee that all
varianst work); however you can say \startitemize[n=1] at the second
level and get just one column then

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-11-06  9:04     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-11-06  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 09:40:07AM +0100, Hans Hagen napisał(a):
> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> > Dnia Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 09:09:06PM +0100, Marcin Borkowski napisał(a):
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have
> >>
> >> \setupitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro,columns,two][stopper=)]
> >>
> >> in the environment.  In one place, however, I want to have a one-column
> >> itemization.  What do I do?  I thought that
> >>
> >> \startitemize[columns,one]
> >>
> >> would override the environment setting - but it didn't work.
> >>
> >> I tried to do something like this:
> >>
> >> \defineitemgroup[onecolumnitemize]
> >> \setuponecolumnitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro][stopper=)]
> >>
> >> but it didn't work - still the settings from \setupitemize[2][...] were
> >> in use.
> >>
> >> What's going on?
> >
> > Before anyone asks me for an example, here it is:
> > http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Mbork
> > (the last part)
>
> concerning the intro ... mixed one-two column modes are somewhat tricky
> and have limitations (if only because tex itself has no concept of
> columns); when mkiv is further down the road i'll look into multi
> columns and see if i can provide more control, but for that i need to
> implement a few other things first
>
> nested itemizations are currently not possible (or more precisely: they
> are (they are intercepted simply because there is no guarantee that all
> varianst work); however you can say \startitemize[n=1] at the second
> level and get just one column then

Thank you - this sort of clarifies my continuous problems with
two-column itemizations: it seems that they just won't work now (at
least not in the context (!) where I need them).  I'll be waiting
patiently for progress in luatex;).

However, I tried \startitemize[1] and it didn't work (neither at my
computer nor in online ConTeXt, with the example I have provided on my
user page).

Please do not think that I am angry at you, Hans, or anything like that;
I really admire your (and not only your) work with ConTeXt.  But I am a
bit disappointed - and hope that itemizations will eventually work.  And
now I guess I'll have to work this around in some nasty way (most
probably, I'll just do the only one-column itemization by hand).

And you may be pretty sure that I will be a good beta-tester for the
itemization stuff - as I already told, I use itemizations a lot,
together with math, nesting itemizations, two-column ones etc.  For the
purpose of testing any new things in this area I'm leaving the examples
on my user page, too.

PS. Looking back at the steady progress of ConTeXt & luatex, I am pretty
sure that this _will_ be solved in finite time anyway, so I can just
\relax, wait and then test and provide feedback;).

Greets

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

- Gandalf!  A ja myślałem, że nie żyjesz.  Co prawda o sobie też byłem
tego zdania.
				Sam Gamgee

* Re: Multicolumn itemizations - again...
@ 2008-11-06 12:29       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-06 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> However, I tried \startitemize[1] and it didn't work (neither at my
> computer nor in online ConTeXt, with the example I have provided on my
> user page).

[n=1]

> Please do not think that I am angry at you, Hans, or anything like that;
> I really admire your (and not only your) work with ConTeXt.  But I am a
> bit disappointed - and hope that itemizations will eventually work.  And
> now I guess I'll have to work this around in some nasty way (most
> probably, I'll just do the only one-column itemization by hand).

well, although tex can do a lot, there are limitations; column related
stuff for instance is a matter of programming all possible aspects of
it; and there can be conflicting demands

> And you may be pretty sure that I will be a good beta-tester for the
> itemization stuff - as I already told, I use itemizations a lot,
> together with math, nesting itemizations, two-column ones etc.  For the
> purpose of testing any new things in this area I'm leaving the examples
> on my user page, too.

ok; but as mentioned before only mkiv will have improved itemizations

> PS. Looking back at the steady progress of ConTeXt & luatex, I am pretty
> sure that this _will_ be solved in finite time anyway, so I can just
> \relax, wait and then test and provide feedback;).

thanks

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-11-06 16:24         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-11-06 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 01:29:07PM +0100, Hans Hagen napisał(a):
> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> > However, I tried \startitemize[1] and it didn't work (neither at my
> > computer nor in online ConTeXt, with the example I have provided on my
> > user page).
>
> [n=1]
I tried

\setupitemize[1][n,intro]
\setupitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro,columns,two][stopper=)]

\starttext
\startitemize
\item Item one
\item Sub-itemize:
  \startitemize
  \item sub-one
  \item sub-two
  \item sub-three
  \item sub-four
  \stopitemize
\item Sub-itemize with one column:
  \startitemize[n=1]
  \item A
  \item B
  \item C
  \stopitemize
\stopitemize
\stoptext

on the online ConTeXt (MkIV).  Didn't work...

> > Please do not think that I am angry at you, Hans, or anything like that;
> > I really admire your (and not only your) work with ConTeXt.  But I am a
> > bit disappointed - and hope that itemizations will eventually work.  And
> > now I guess I'll have to work this around in some nasty way (most
> > probably, I'll just do the only one-column itemization by hand).
>
> well, although tex can do a lot, there are limitations; column related
> stuff for instance is a matter of programming all possible aspects of
> it; and there can be conflicting demands

I believe that.  Nested itemizations (possibly with columns) are
definitely non-trivial.

> > And you may be pretty sure that I will be a good beta-tester for the
> > itemization stuff - as I already told, I use itemizations a lot,
> > together with math, nesting itemizations, two-column ones etc.  For the
> > purpose of testing any new things in this area I'm leaving the examples
> > on my user page, too.
>
> ok; but as mentioned before only mkiv will have improved itemizations

I know, I've already installed MkIV on my texlive.

> > PS. Looking back at the steady progress of ConTeXt & luatex, I am pretty
> > sure that this _will_ be solved in finite time anyway, so I can just
> > \relax, wait and then test and provide feedback;).
>
> thanks

Well, it's just true:).

> Hans

Greets

--

@ 2008-11-06 16:43           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-11-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.11.2008 um 17:24 schrieb Marcin Borkowski:

> Dnia Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 01:29:07PM +0100, Hans Hagen napisał
> (a):
>> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>>
>>> However, I tried \startitemize[1] and it didn't work (neither at my
>>> computer nor in online ConTeXt, with the example I have provided
>>> on my
>>> user page).
>>
>> [n=1]
> I tried

> \setupitemize[1][n,intro]
> \setupitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro,columns,two][stopper=)]

\setupitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro,columns][stopper=)]

If you want more than two columns by default add "n=x"
to the third argument but don't use the keywords (one, two, ...).

> \starttext
> \startitemize
> \item Item one
> \item Sub-itemize:
>  \startitemize
>  \item sub-one
>  \item sub-two
>  \item sub-three
>  \item sub-four
>  \stopitemize
> \item Sub-itemize with one column:
>  \startitemize[n=1]

You could write \startitemize[n=1] or \startitemize[one]

>  \item A
>  \item B
>  \item C
>  \stopitemize
> \stopitemize
> \stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Multicolumn itemizations - again...
@ 2008-11-06 19:00           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-06 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> I tried
> \item Sub-itemize with one column:
>   \startitemize[n=1]
>   \item A
>   \item B
>   \item C
>   \stopitemize
> \stopitemize
> \stoptext

> on the online ConTeXt (MkIV).  Didn't work...

ok, i run an experimental version here; so then you have to wait till
the update (will be rather drastic this time, so needs some testing here
first)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-11-06 19:12             ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-11-06 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 05:43:29PM +0100, Wolfgang Schuster napisał(a):

> Am 06.11.2008 um 17:24 schrieb Marcin Borkowski:
>
> > Dnia Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 01:29:07PM +0100, Hans Hagen napisał
> > (a):

> >> [n=1]
> > I tried

> > \setupitemize[1][n,intro]
> > \setupitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro,columns,two][stopper=)]
>
> \setupitemize[2][a,paragraph,intro,columns][stopper=)]
>
> If you want more than two columns by default add "n=x"
> to the third argument but don't use the keywords (one, two, ...).
>
> > \starttext
> > \startitemize
> > \item Item one
> > \item Sub-itemize:
> >  \startitemize
> >  \item sub-one
> >  \item sub-two
> >  \item sub-three
> >  \item sub-four
> >  \stopitemize
> > \item Sub-itemize with one column:
> >  \startitemize[n=1]
>
> You could write \startitemize[n=1] or \startitemize[one]

WOW!!! It *works*!!!

TTTTT   H   H    AAA    N    N   K  K   SSSS   !!
  T     H   H   A   A   NN   N   K K   S       !!
  T     HHHHH   AAAAA   N N  N   KK     SSSS   !!
  T     H   H   A   A   N  N N   K K        S
  T     H   H   A   A   N   NN   K  K   SSSS   !!

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

Jezus żyje NAPRAWDĘ.
A Ty?