* two questions
@ 2001-07-05 12:03 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-07-05 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

1. I'm using \/ to prevent ligatures. Is there a better way to do this?
2. Is there a (predefined) way to make oldstyle numerals the default for
all numbers (with Computer Modern fonts)?

Eckhart

* Re: two questions
@ 2001-07-05 21:10 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-05 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: taco, ntg-context

At 02:03 PM 7/5/01 +0200, you wrote:
>1. I'm using \/ to prevent ligatures. Is there a better way to do this?
>2. Is there a (predefined) way to make oldstyle numerals the default for
>all numbers (with Computer Modern fonts)?

Taco probably knows this best, since it depends a bit where you prevent it
[in some places, tex rebuild ligatures].

I would say f{}i as unsafe option, and f\kern0pt i as safe option

or

\def\nolig{\kern\zeropoint}

f\nolig i

Hans

BTW, \/ is not a good choice

                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: two questions
@ 2001-07-06  7:57     ` maartenwisse
From: maartenwisse @ 2001-07-06  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> No. As simple as that. (unless you want to create a virtual font for it)
These virtual fonts do exist. the cmolddig package does it for OT1 encoding, and the eco package does it for T1 Computer Modern. The only thing to fix is ConTeXt support for these packages, because they only come with a LaTeX .sty file.
Greetings,

Maarten

* Re: two questions
@ 2001-07-06  9:11   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-07-06  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eckhart Guthöhrlein, ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 02:03 PM 7/5/01 +0200, you wrote:
>
>>1. I'm using \/ to prevent ligatures. Is there a better way to do this?

Hans' solution is probably the best. But there really is no way to
disable ligatures without side-effects (you loose hyphenation)

>>2. Is there a (predefined) way to make oldstyle numerals the default for
>>all numbers (with Computer Modern fonts)?

No. As simple as that. (unless you want to create a virtual font for it)

Greetings, Taco

* Re: two questions
@ 2001-07-07 14:47     ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-07-07 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:11 06.07.2001 +0000, you wrote:

>Hans' solution is probably the best. But there really is no way to disable
>ligatures without side-effects (you loose hyphenation)

I looked into babel.sty and germanb.ldf how the shorthand "| is
implemented. The following (stolen) definition allows me to prevent a
ligature while allowing hyphenation at this place as well as before and
afterwards in the same word. (With cmr, babel's choice of .03em looks good,
I think.)

\def\nolig{\nobreak\discretionary{-}{}{\kern.03em}\nobreak\hskip\z@skip} %
(after changing the catcode of @)

Is there any problem with that definition? If not, I would suggest
including a similar command in ConTeXt, since ligatures in words like
"Auflage" or "hinauffliegen" have to be corrected.

Eckhart

* Re: two questions
@ 2001-07-08 22:57       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-08 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:47 PM 7/7/01 +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
>At 09:11 06.07.2001 +0000, you wrote:
>
>>Hans' solution is probably the best. But there really is no way to disable
>>ligatures without side-effects (you loose hyphenation)
>
>I looked into babel.sty and germanb.ldf how the shorthand "| is
>implemented. The following (stolen) definition allows me to prevent a
>ligature while allowing hyphenation at this place as well as before and
>afterwards in the same word. (With cmr, babel's choice of .03em looks good,
>I think.)
>
>\def\nolig{\nobreak\discretionary{-}{}{\kern.03em}\nobreak\hskip\z@skip} %
>(after changing the catcode of @)
>
>Is there any problem with that definition? If not, I would suggest
>including a similar command in ConTeXt, since ligatures in words like
>"Auflage" or "hinauffliegen" have to be corrected.

You german guys love shortcuts so much  ...

\starttext

\definetextmodediscretionary :
  {\prewordbreak\kern.25em:\space\ignorespaces}

\definetextmodediscretionary ;
  {\prewordbreak\kern.25em:\space\ignorespaces}

\definetextmodediscretionary *
  {\prewordbreak\discretionary{-}{}{\kern.05em}\postwordbreak}

\startlanguagespecifics[de]
  \installcompoundcharacter "| {|*|}
\stoplanguagespecifics

\de \hyphenatedword{hinauff|*|liegen} \hyphenatedword{hinauff"|liegen}

\stoptext

i think that the : and ; are handy for french and we can still abuse the *
for the ligature killer (btw, this one is like |~|). I think that .05 is
better than .03

this only works with the version i uploaded saturday [the definable
discretionaries were needed for GB's speech module]

Hans

PS. Tobias, it this okay? If so, i'll move it into the lang modules.

@ 2001-07-09  7:58       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-07-09  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:

> At 09:11 06.07.2001 +0000, you wrote:
> \def\nolig{\nobreak\discretionary{-}{}{\kern.03em}\nobreak\hskip\z@skip} %
> (after changing the catcode of @)
>
> Is there any problem with that definition? If not, I would suggest
> including a similar command in ConTeXt, since ligatures in words like
> "Auflage" or "hinauffliegen" have to be corrected.

Not really a problem, but it also allows hyphenation at this point, and
ensures that hyphenation for the partial (left&right) words is also
possible.
This isn't always desired, I think. So there should be two commands I
guess. One to just block ligatures, and another that does what babel
does.

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: two questions
@ 2001-07-09  8:48         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-09  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:58 AM 7/9/01 +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
>>
>> At 09:11 06.07.2001 +0000, you wrote:
>> \def\nolig{\nobreak\discretionary{-}{}{\kern.03em}\nobreak\hskip\z@skip} %
>> (after changing the catcode of @)
>>
>> Is there any problem with that definition? If not, I would suggest
>> including a similar command in ConTeXt, since ligatures in words like
>> "Auflage" or "hinauffliegen" have to be corrected.
>
>Not really a problem, but it also allows hyphenation at this point, and
>ensures that hyphenation for the partial (left&right) words is also
>possible.
>This isn't always desired, I think. So there should be two commands I
>guess. One to just block ligatures, and another that does what babel
>does.

taco, do you remember what the proposed [etex] lig prevention primitive
was? \nolig or \noligs or so [lots my notes] and what is the most robust
definition? \kern\zeropoint?

Hans

@ 2001-07-10  9:17           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-07-10  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 09:58 AM 7/9/01 +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>>Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
>>
>>>At 09:11 06.07.2001 +0000, you wrote:
>>>\def\nolig{\nobreak\discretionary{-}{}{\kern.03em}\nobreak\hskip\z@skip} %
>>>(after changing the catcode of @)
>>>
>>>Is there any problem with that definition? If not, I would suggest
>>>including a similar command in ConTeXt, since ligatures in words like
>>>"Auflage" or "hinauffliegen" have to be corrected.
>>>
>>Not really a problem, but it also allows hyphenation at this point, and
>>ensures that hyphenation for the partial (left&right) words is also
>>possible.
>>This isn't always desired, I think. So there should be two commands I
>>guess. One to just block ligatures, and another that does what babel
>>does.
>>

> taco, do you remember what the proposed [etex] lig prevention primitive
> was? \nolig or \noligs or so [lots my notes] and what is the most robust
> definition? \kern\zeropoint?

IIRC, both were proposed. \noligs to disable all ligs in the current
font, and \nolig for individual use. \kern\zeropoint is probably the
cleanest definition for \nolig (\noligs is nearly undoable in macros),
and then you probably need an |x| command for the hyphenatable thing
(as in babel).

Greetings,

Taci

* two questions
@ 2007-11-06  7:07 Dalyoung Jeong
From: Dalyoung Jeong @ 2007-11-06  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs
  Cc: Unicode-based TeX for Mac OS X and other platforms

Hi all,

Recently, I had a problem using XeTeX+ConTeXt after the upgrade to
Leopard. You may read my mails to the list already.
Let me describe it in short. XeTeX and XeLaTeX worked well. But in the
output via XeTeX+ConTeXt, all korean letters are shown as blank or as
the series of squares([s6] mode)when I set mainfont using some of the
commercial fonts. All the files were worked OK before the upgrade.

I'd like to you two things.

1. Is it possible to use xdv2pdf to produce pdf file using the command
"texmfstart texexec"?

2. How to update xetex and xdvipdfmx? I downloaded latest file of them
from "minimal.context.wiki". I replaced the xetex and xdvipdfmx in the
folder /usr/texbin/ with the latest files, but it made another lm font
error.

I am using Mac with OSX Leopard, TeXlive 2007(gwTeX).

Since I have very little knowledge about TeX, I always ask you for help.
Thank you for the listening.

Best regards,
Dalyoung

* Re: two questions
@ 2003-02-08 20:08     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-02-08 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Gour,

> unable to locate it (I've found only up to up-007.pdf).

Got to www.pragema-ade.com
On the welcomescreen there is a link to ovrview.htm
Klicking on this link produces a long list of downloadble files where far
down you will find the mentioned file.

Succes Willi

* Re: two questions
@ 2003-02-07  9:32     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-07  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:26 AM 2/7/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Willi Egger (w.egger@boede.nl) wrote:
>
> > Information concerning the first two methods you can find in
> > e.g. mp-cb-en.pdf en cont-enp.pdf
> > The third method you can study in enattab.pdf (examples) and up-008.pdf
> > The third method is probably the most powerful!
>
>Please if you can provide info where to find up-008.pdf. Somehow I'm
>unable to locate it (I've found only up to up-007.pdf).

it was replaced by enattab

Hans

@ 2003-02-07  7:26   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-02-07  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi Egger (w.egger@boede.nl) wrote:

> Information concerning the first two methods you can find in
> e.g. mp-cb-en.pdf en cont-enp.pdf
> The third method you can study in enattab.pdf (examples) and up-008.pdf
> The third method is probably the most powerful!

Please if you can provide info where to find up-008.pdf. Somehow I'm
unable to locate it (I've found only up to up-007.pdf).

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr

* Re: two questions
@ 2003-02-06 19:56 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-02-06 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Tasos

I can only comment on your first question.

Context offers you three environments:

1. tabulate \starttabulate[|||]  ... \stoptabulate
2. tables    \startable [|||]  ... \stoptable
3. natural tables  \bTABLE
                                 \bTR
                                     \bTD ... \eTD \eTR
                              \eTABLE

Information concerning the first two methods you can find in
e.g. mp-cb-en.pdf en cont-enp.pdf
The third method you can study in enattab.pdf (examples) and up-008.pdf
The third method is probably the most powerful!

Zou might have a look at the Pragma ade site where you can download the
mentioned files under overview.htm:

www.pragma-ade.com

Have fun! Willi

* Re: two questions
@ 2003-02-06 17:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 07:13 PM 2/6/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>After a number of years working with "classical" TeX/LaTeX I have been
>trying out ConTeXt. I like the structured approach and the control it gives
>the user and I have been trying it out on some of my working documents.
>
>Two questions:
>
>1. On writing tables in LaTeX, there is an option p{ some length } that
>    enables paragraph mode for one or more of the table's column entries. Is
>    there something equivalent in ConTeXt? I don't seem to be able to find
>    it in the manual.

\starttable and \starttabulate both accept p(3cm) and alike; in tabulate,
if you don't specify the width, it will be automatically calculated

>2. My native language is Greek and I would like to have the capability to
>    write documents in this language. There does not seem to be support for
>    it in ConTeXt. Are there any directions, notes, how-to's, etc. around,
>    for how to add support for an additional language in ConTeXt? I'd like to
>    give it a try.

it's not that complicated to implement:

(1) what fonts
(2) what encoding
(3) what labels

i have to implement greek anyway (need it for projects), so ...; last time
i looked into it, i became puzzled by the many encodings; so, do you have
infoin (1) and (2) to start with?

Hans

@ 2003-02-06 17:31 ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-02-06 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tasos Drosopoulos wrote:

> 2. My native language is Greek and I would like to have the capability to
>    write documents in this language. There does not seem to be support for
>    it in ConTeXt. Are there any directions, notes, how-to's, etc. around,
>    for how to add support for an additional language in ConTeXt? I'd like to
>    give it a try.

If you're _really_ adventurous you could give Gamma, the ConTeXt format for
Omega, a try. For Greek it should work pretty well. Omega 1.15 or the latest
experimental version 1.23.2 is recommended for this. YMMV...

But again, only if you're adventurous:-)

Idris

* two questions
@ 2003-02-06 17:13 Tasos Drosopoulos
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tasos Drosopoulos @ 2003-02-06 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All,

After a number of years working with "classical" TeX/LaTeX I have been
trying out ConTeXt. I like the structured approach and the control it gives
the user and I have been trying it out on some of my working documents.

Two questions:

1. On writing tables in LaTeX, there is an option p{ some length } that
   enables paragraph mode for one or more of the table's column entries. Is
   there something equivalent in ConTeXt? I don't seem to be able to find
   it in the manual.

2. My native language is Greek and I would like to have the capability to
   write documents in this language. There does not seem to be support for
   it in ConTeXt. Are there any directions, notes, how-to's, etc. around,
   for how to add support for an additional language in ConTeXt? I'd like to
   give it a try.

   TIA

   Tasos

* Re: Two questions
@ 2002-07-12 16:41 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-12 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:27 AM 7/8/2002 +0200, =?utf-8?Q?scarsoluigi@libero.it?= wrote:
>1) Can i wget the context mailing list (or
>    are there any compressed collection ready for download ?)
>
>2) On page 4 of cont-enp.pdf manual, copyright says:
>  "....
>   All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced,
>   stored in a retrieval system,
>   or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical,
>   photocopying, recording
>   or otherwise, without prior written permission of the publisher.
>   ..."
>   What really have i to do to make a printer copy for personal use ?
>   I plan to use ConText at work, so must i require some authorization
>   to PRAGMA ?

Just print the manuals as you want, as long as you don't sell them for
profit it's ok

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Two questions