From: Taco Hoekwater <bittext@quicknet.nl>
Cc: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>, ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: fonts / proposal
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:45:15 +0200	[thread overview]

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> I think the TeX Directory Standard puts fonts under

I strongly believe that was a mistake. Because that way, the different
parts
that make up a font are split over two or three separate directories.
But that is not important now...

> I think the (only) problem with this is that it fails on pure DOS
> system (8.3 naming constrictions). Since the font naming is X
> Windows-like, why don't you just use the X Windows scheme?

The X system has rather a lot of keys that dont make sense in TeX.

Here is the list and an example:

Foundry            Adobe
Family             Helvetica
Weight             bold
Slant              oblique
Set Width          expanded
Additional Style
Pixel Size         12
Point Size         120
Resolution X       75
Resolution Y       75
Spacing            proportional
Average Width      69
Charset            iso8859-1

Slant and Spacing are actually one letter in the X font name, so this
font's name is:

-adobe-helvetica-bold-o-normal--12-120-75-75-p-69-iso8859-1

Slant is normally one of (o,r,i) for oblique,roman,italic

Spacing is normally one of (c,p,m) for cell,proportional,monospaced
(cell is roughly the same as monospaced)

AddStyle is normally not used.

Point Size is in 1/720th of an inch (value 0 for scalable font).

PxlSize, resX and resY are never really applicable to a type 1 font.
(values 0)

AvgW is a bit of a weird thing that is sometimes handy when trying to
replace the font for a block of text, but it is usually generated
on-the-fly and not saved in the name (value==0).

Therefore, the example font is actually specified in the font directory
as:

-adobe-helvetica-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1

Whatever Hans comes up with, at should be documented straight away. And
by that I mean a precise specification of what the font installer can
generate in the fields.

Just some background info.

Greetings, Taco