* fonts / proposal
@ 2001-08-03 15:32 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm currently working on fonts, not so much in context itself, as well as
installation. Since i want a clean way to install fonts [commercial ones
for instance] and since licence policy is always tricky, i now put them in
a dedicated tree texmf-fonts.

In the texmf tree [as distribited by tex live] there are a couple of free
fonts [we're talking outlines] but not that much. I don't want to let the
rather latex oriented font naming and organization scheme 'spoil' things
and i want users to be able to easilly use other encodings that ec too. How
do users handle this currenlty, say that they want polish encoding?

Installing fonts comes down to

(1) generating the tfm's
(2) if needed create vf files
(3) if neede copy files to the right location
(4) create a decent map file for pdftex

in addition, if needed:

(5) create slanted fonts
(6) create small caps

Now, since one font can be on the system in say texnansi, ec, pl0, csr or
whatever encoding, and since users may have different opinions on how
slanted or small capped a font may be, we end up in so many files that the
current tex naming sheme drives at least me crazy. Also, i really want to
avoid latex like fd files scattering the system. Therefore, this is what i
have implemented and can support:

(1) users choose a default encoding but can derive from it if needed, let's
assume ec here

(2) texfont creates a series of files from the afm files (we assume urw
palatino):

     ec-urw-palatino.map
     ec-raw-*.tfm
     ec-*.tfm
     ec-*.vf

(3) if needed also create slanted/caps alternatives

(4) also, a tex test file generated that show that things are done ok

(5) typescript files will mape symbolic names in an efficient way

(6) map files will be loaded at run time [when enabled]

an example of a generated file is: ec-blabla-slanted-167.tfm which is a
bitthe x windows way of naming fonts. If needed one can have say 10 slanted
and 5 extended and 2 capped files of one font.

[there is currenty a make file that makes all files needed]

What does this mean in practice? A couple of more files, but named in such
a way that simple font users like me can see what happens. It also means
that we can use one set of typescripts for all kind of encodings. A
dedicated font tree so that we can consider zipping it and posting it.

Now, if context comes with the typescripts that define fonts this verbose
way. we can have a problem with users who want to stick to the 8 byte names
and/or want to sort out the funny names themselves. Since filename mapping
is implemented recursively, they can have a way out with a special file like:

\definefontsynonym [ec-uplr8a-slanted-167] [uplro8t]

where they may hope that the latter is indeed available, slanted 167, and
in ec encoding.

Are there any strong [and valid] objectiona against this scheme? The idea
is, in the end to have a way to set up a minimal consistent system.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl