* Re: math punctuation
@ 2001-09-05 20:52 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-09-05 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 18:09 05.09.2001 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

>PS. For the real hackers among us: one can swap comma's and periods in
>math by saying
>
>\definemathpunctuation . mathcomma  textperiod
>\definemathpunctuation , mathperiod textcomma

Why should you? Well, I could imagine an existing input file with the wrong
decimal sign, which could be changed in this way, provided all numbers are
in math mode. If it could be of use for a normal user: What are you
thinking of?

Eckhart

* Re: math punctuation
@ 2001-09-06  6:50 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-06  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:52 PM 9/5/2001 +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
>At 18:09 05.09.2001 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>PS. For the real hackers among us: one can swap comma's and periods in
>>math by saying
>>
>>\definemathpunctuation . mathcomma  textperiod
>>\definemathpunctuation , mathperiod textcomma
>
>Why should you? Well, I could imagine an existing input file with the
>wrong decimal sign, which could be changed in this way, provided all
>numbers are in math mode. If it could be of use for a normal user: What
>are you thinking of?

converting non continental numbers into continental ones: 1,000 => 1.000

but for that purpose, there is already \digits

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: math punctuation
@ 2001-09-06  7:54 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-09-06  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
> >\definemathpunctuation . mathcomma  textperiod
> >\definemathpunctuation , mathperiod textcomma
>
> Why should you? Well, I could imagine an existing input file with the wrong
> decimal sign, which could be changed in this way, provided all numbers are
> in math mode.

That kind of input is precisely why I like this feature. :)

--
groeten,

Taco

* math punctuation
@ 2001-09-05 16:09 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-05 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Since math punctuation was on my todo list anyway, i added it to the core.
Instead of the hard codes stuff, i made them proper math symbols.

By default we have now defined:

\startmathcollection[default]

   \definemathsymbol [mathperiod] [ord]   [mi] ["3A]
   \definemathsymbol [textperiod] [punct] [mi] ["3A]

   \definemathsymbol [mathcomma]  [ord]   [mi] ["3B]
   \definemathsymbol [textcomma]  [punct] [mi] ["3B]

\stopmathcollection

and:

\definemathpunctuation . mathperiod textperiod
\definemathpunctuation , mathcomma  textcomma

which means that

\enablemathpunctuation % can go into cont-sys.tex if needed

$(1,2) (1, 2) (1{,}2) \hbox {foo, bar}$

give the desired results.

This will be available in the next beta.

I think that adding ; and : also makes sense, but i first want to know what
the french requirements are,