* pending issues
@ 2001-10-01 16:13 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-01 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I want to make a list of pending issues, if you have the feeling that
something got lost in my mailbox, let me know,

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: pending issues
@ 2001-10-04 16:05 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-10-04 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Monday, October 01, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> Hi,

HH> I want to make a list of pending issues, if you have the feeling that
HH> something got lost in my mailbox, let me know,

My personal list, not necessarily in priority order:

TEX

((1)) "small" database support in TeXUtil: ability to sort with
      multiple keys, in ascending and descending order. And to
      sort the same data multiple times, having the results of all
      the sortings available (so that you can have e.g. a list of
      the data sorted by, say, name, and a list of the same data
      sorted, say, by content). I noticed there is already a
      database support in TeX provided by the module core-dat. Am
      I wasting my time with the xdesc module? Or will xdesc make
      core-dat obsolete?

((2)) \defineitemize

((3)) Nine levels for itemizations (I need this for WordPerfect
      compatibility

((4)) Inline itemization: (a) like (b) this (c) more or less (I
      know it's there in the core ...

((5)) A way to get the (internal) number of a reference, so that i
      can be used by TeX (without it being typeset).

((6)) Pseudo-floats: things that are of the same class as real
      floats, have captions, are numbered along with the real
      floats, but *do* *no* *move* and can (possibly) be split
      (e.g. tables etc).

((7)) Subfloats: this was partly done by a recent patch, but it
      needs some additions, mostly the possibility to reference each
      subfloat separately.

((8)) The footnote bug: footnote ending on the wrong page when
      footnote reference is at bottom of the page. (See attached
      footbug2.tex; note that the bug appears both when there is a
      footnote in the columns (pages 1--2) and when there is no
      other footnote (pages 3--4))
      IIRC you mentioned at EuroTeX that you already have a fix
      for this, but that such fix would break something else in
      certain cases. Is it possible to let this fix be "triggable"?
      (You choose when to apply it and when not to)

((9)) Threaded documents: I missed that at EuroTeX, so at least
      the explanation of the ConTeXt interface to PDF threads
      would be greatly welcome :-)

((10)) Abbreviation: some abbreviations are better in small caps,
      some are better in normal style. A way to selectively set
      this?

META

((1)) MetaFun/ConTeXt interface to MetaObject

((2)) Finer grid in charts.

((3)) Interface limit:

     connection_smooth_size := \@@FLOLstraal ;
     connection_arrow_size  := \@@FLOLstraal ;
     connection_dash_size   := \@@FLOLstraal ;

     (in \dodogetFLOWchart) don't allow for fine-tuning
     of the settings. (Should have different options for different
     sizes.)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

[-- Attachment #2: footbug2.tex --]

\setupindenting[medium]

\starttext

\input knuth

\blank

\input zapf

\blank

\startcolumns
\input tufte\footnote{This was a text from Tufte. Let's now get
this footnote a little longer, so as to trigger the second bug. We
need at least two lines, maybe three of four\dots}
\stopcolumns

\blank

\input tufte\footnote{\input zapf }

\blank

\input knuth

\page[yes]

\input knuth

\blank

\input zapf

\blank

\startcolumns
\input tufte
\stopcolumns

\blank

You don't need another footnote to trigger the bug: just
enough text to push the last line of the problematic
paragraph to the end of the page.

\input tufte\footnote{\input zapf }

\blank

\input knuth

\stoptext

* Re: pending issues
@ 2001-10-04 19:41 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2001-10-04 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

>Hans wrote:
> I want to make a list of pending issues, if you have the feeling that
> something got lost in my mailbox, let me know,

After the introduction of a new font-mechanism in CONTEXT, I would be glad
to have TTF-font support.
I assume, that that should be possible, because pdf(e)tex does support them
already.

Willi

* Re: pending issues
@ 2001-10-04 20:31   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-10-04 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

If it's time to make wishes... I'd like it if ConTeXt could
work with the tabular commands that i learned using LaTeX.

Groet,

Frans

* Re: pending issues
@ 2001-10-05  6:35     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-10-05  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

"Frans Goddijn" <frans@goddijn.com> writes:

> If it's time to make wishes... I'd like it if ConTeXt could
> work with the tabular commands that i learned using LaTeX.

What's wrong with the ConTeXt ones? Does LaTeX offer something not
supported by ConTeXt?

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: pending issues
@ 2001-10-05  7:40   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-10-05  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

If you use pdftex as your default executables and have TeX metrics for the
TTF font in question, this is already supposed to work. To put it another
way: I think this functionality is already there. If not, can you explain
what you feel is missing?

--
groeten,

Taco

* Wishlist (Re: pending issues)
@ 2001-10-05  8:27   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-10-05  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some remarks on Giuseppe's list:

> ((1)) "small" database support in TeXUtil: ability to sort [...]
>       database support in TeX provided by the module core-dat.
>       Or will xdesc make core-dat obsolete?

Eventually, probably both will become obsolete ;) At least, I hope
so: I am gradually trying to move everything DB-like to XML.

> ((2)) \defineitemize

I like this idea as well.

> ((4)) Inline itemization: (a) like (b) this (c) more or less (I
>       know it's there in the core ...

Me too, me too!

> ((5)) A way to get the (internal) number of a reference, so that i
>       can be used by TeX (without it being typeset).

I don't understand this one. You mean the internal data from
\in etc.?  You can get that stuff number from within the macro
\doifreferencefoundelse. Does dat help?

> ((6)) Pseudo-floats: things that are of the same class as real
>       floats, have captions, are numbered along with the real
>       floats, but *do* *no* *move* and can (possibly) be split
>       (e.g. tables etc).

Non-moving floats are already in context:  \placefloat[here][...] ?
(otherwise I misunderstood your request). They do not split though
and yes, I want that as well.

> ((7)) Subfloats: this was partly done by a recent patch, but it
>       needs some additions, mostly the possibility to reference each
>       subfloat separately.

Right. I have (somewhere) a workaround that uses \reference to
reach this goal.

--
groeten,

Taco