* multiple lines in footers
@ 2002-01-01 11:08 Ron van Ostayen
From: Ron van Ostayen @ 2002-01-01 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

Hi all,

First of all, a happy new year and best wishes for 2002 !!

Secondly, I still have a problem using footers.  I have asked this
question on this list before but I didn't get a reply.
I would like to use multiple lines in my document footers.  I've tried:

\setupfootertexts[proceedings of the TEST CONFERENCE \\
\currentdate}][---\pagenumber---]
and
\setupfootertexts[proceedings of the TEST CONFERENCE \crlf
\currentdate}][---\pagenumber---]

but they both ignore the newline command and produce only one line?
I'm using the version of ConTeXt on the latest TeX-Live CD:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-pre-1.0-unofficial-20010704-2.1 (Web2C
7.3.3.1)
ConTeXt  ver: 2001.7.11  fmt: 2001.10.16  int: english  mes: english

Can anyone help me?
Best regards,

Ron van Ostayen

* Re: multiple lines in footers
@ 2002-01-01 12:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-01 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:08 PM 1/1/2002 +0100, Ron van Ostayen wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>First of all, a happy new year and best wishes for 2002 !!
>
>Secondly, I still have a problem using footers.  I have asked this
>question on this list before but I didn't get a reply.

seems that only i know the answer -)

>I would like to use multiple lines in my document footers.  I've tried:
>
>\setupfootertexts[proceedings of the TEST CONFERENCE \\
>\currentdate}][---\pagenumber---]
>and
>\setupfootertexts[proceedings of the TEST CONFERENCE \crlf
>\currentdate}][---\pagenumber---]

\setupfootertexts
   [\vbox
       {whatever you \endgraf
        want to \endgraf
        show up there}]
   [---\pagenumber--]

so, just use a \vbox or \vtop (additionally you can set \setupfooter
[before=...,after=...])

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: multiple lines in footers
@ 2002-01-01 12:43 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-01-01 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, Hans Hagen

Hi.

> First of all, a happy new year and best wishes for 2002 !!
The same to you and all others!

> Secondly, I still have a problem using footers.  I have asked this
> question on this list before but I didn't get a reply.
> I would like to use multiple lines in my document footers.  I've tried:

I also struggled once and used this as quick and dirty solution:
\vbox{\hbox{foo}\hbox{bar}}

Tobias

* Re: multiple lines in footers
@ 2002-01-01 17:35   ` Ron van Ostayen
From: Ron van Ostayen @ 2002-01-01 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 12:08 PM 1/1/2002 +0100, Ron van Ostayen wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >First of all, a happy new year and best wishes for 2002 !!
> >
> >Secondly, I still have a problem using footers.  I have asked this
> >question on this list before but I didn't get a reply.
>
> seems that only i know the answer -)
>
> >I would like to use multiple lines in my document footers.  I've tried:
> >
> >\setupfootertexts[proceedings of the TEST CONFERENCE \\
> >\currentdate}][---\pagenumber---]
> >and
> >\setupfootertexts[proceedings of the TEST CONFERENCE \crlf
> >\currentdate}][---\pagenumber---]
>
> \setupfootertexts
>    [\vbox
>        {whatever you \endgraf
>         want to \endgraf
>         show up there}]
>    [---\pagenumber--]
>
> so, just use a \vbox or \vtop (additionally you can set \setupfooter
> [before=...,after=...])

Thanks all for your speedy replies (some off-list).
All solutions offered work OK and are basically the same: Make separate
hboxes and collect them in a vbox.

Hans, why do I have to use \endgraf ?
The TeX-book says that \par and \endgraf are basically the same but if I
use
\par it results in an error-message, \endgraf does not.

The left and righthand footer are now aligned on the bottom.  How can I
align
them on the top?

Ron

* Re: multiple lines in footers
@ 2002-01-02  8:52     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-02  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 06:35 PM 1/1/2002 +0100, Ron van Ostayen wrote:

>Hans, why do I have to use \endgraf ?
>The TeX-book says that \par and \endgraf are basically the same but if I
>use
>\par it results in an error-message, \endgraf does not.

indeed, that is why \endgraf is needed; tex is very sensitive about \par's,
one reason (probably) being that in th eold days it was a good thing to
catch an unbalanced argument (which often contains an empty line or \par).
Endgraf (which is a 'copy' of \par is not seen as a literate par
(interesting since it's a straight copy).

One way around is to define all macros in a call chain with parameters as
\long (\long\def\...). Unfortunately there is no switch to disable this
'feature'. Another funny error catcher is \outer but in context i
\let\outer\relax in an early stage so that is kind of gone.

>The left and righthand footer are now aligned on the bottom.  How can I
>align
>them on the top?

\vtop

if needed add a couple of \strut's (say \showstruts to see them in action)