* Re: example of font selection
       [not found] <Pine.GSO.4.44.0201161431020.7861-100000@emerald.bio.dfo.ca>
@ 2002-01-16 21:48 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-01-16 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

"George N. White III" wrote:

> You should find an entry for texnansi-raw-bchri8a in the newly
> created .map file:
>
>   texnansi-raw-bchri8a CharterBT-Italic 4 < bchri8a.pfb texnansi.enc
>
> You can check for the existence of the font file:
>
> $ kpsewhich bchri8a.pfb
> /usr/people/gwhite/texmf-fonts/fonts/type1/bitstrea/charter/bchri8a.pfb
>
> Did you update the ls-R file for the texmf directory where the new
> files were installed?

Yes.

We must be getting close; everything seems to be in place!

The log file has this line:

pdftex : needs map file: texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map

No error message; can I presume it was located and loaded?

Then, texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map has this line (taking just one of
the fonts as an example):

texnansi-raw-bchb8a CharterBT-Bold 4 < bchb8a.pfb texnansi.enc

And "kpsewhich bchb8a.pfb" shows:

/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bitstrea/charter/bchb8a.pfb

I've verified that the pfb is good by testing with the \font macro in
TeX.

Finally, at the bottom of the log, when other processing is finished:

Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi-raw-bchb8a): Font texnansi-raw-bchb8a at
600 not found

Does this happen when searching for a pfb? If so, does that mean it is
looking for texnansi-raw-bchb8a.pfb? Which doesn't exist.
But doesn't the map direct it to bchb8a.pfb? Or, as I said before, is it
searching for a bitmap font?

-Bill

* Re: example of font selection
@ 2002-01-19 21:09       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-19 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: johannes.huesing, ntg-context

At 10:20 AM 1/17/2002 -0600, Bill McClain wrote:

>Adding the line to pdftex.cfg works for me. The generated example file
>uses \loadmapfile, which for some reason isn't working in this case.
>Commenting out that line had no effect. Its presence had me fooled.

you need to enable this feature in cont-sys.tex (see cont-sys.rme).

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: example of font selection
@ 2002-01-17 16:20     ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-01-17 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Johannes H?sing wrote:

> > Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi-raw-bchri8a): Font texnansi-raw-bchri8a
> > at 600
> > not found
>
> I had this before and supposed that the texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map file
> by itself wasn't found. So I included this file in pdftex.map, and
> everything is fine now.

Ah! That works.

I note that the generated map file says:

% This file is generated by the TeXFont Perl script.
%
% You need to add the following line to pdftex.cfg:
%
%   map +texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map
%
% Alternatively in your TeX source you can say:
%
%   \pdfmapfile{+texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map}
%
% In ConTeXt you can best use:
%
%   \loadmapfile[texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map]

Adding the line to pdftex.cfg works for me. The generated example file
uses \loadmapfile, which for some reason isn't working in this case.
Commenting out that line had no effect. Its presence had me fooled.

The log no longer says "pdftex : needs map file:
texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map" I guess that was a bad sign.

I get a warning message about two of the font files, but they are
actually are found and embeded in the pdf:

"Warning: pdfetex (file bchci8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
reading"

Thanks everyone!

-Bill

* Re: example of font selection
@ 2002-01-16 21:03   ` Johannes H?sing
From: Johannes H?sing @ 2002-01-16 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 07:28:39AM -0600, Bill McClain wrote:
[...]
> ...plus this:
>
> pdftex/config/texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map
>
> ...and a test file:
>
> texnansi-bitstrea-charter.tex
>
> This last generates errors when I run it, variations on:
>
> Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi-raw-bchri8a): Font texnansi-raw-bchri8a
> at 600
> not found

I had this before and supposed that the texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map file
by itself wasn't found. So I included this file in pdftex.map, and
everything is fine now.

Greetings

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing   There is something fascinating about science. One gets
hannes@ruhrau.de  such wholesale returns of conjecture from such a

* Re: example of font selection
       [not found] <Pine.GSO.4.44.0201151211231.18484-100000@emerald.bio.dfo.ca>
@ 2002-01-16 13:28 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-01-16 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"George N. White III" wrote:

> You should try to get the 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20010806-2.1 or later
> pdfeTeX.

First: Thanks for replying!

Ok, I've installed 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20010806-2.1 and verfied that
it works.

> Did you set up the tfm's, vf's, etc. using texfont?

I hadn't because I thought that some setup would reference the
pre-existing tfm files. But I've run it now, using bitstrea/charter as a
test. It creates these files under the fonts directory:

./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchb8a.tfm
./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchbi8a.tfm
./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchc8a.tfm
./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchci8a.tfm
./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchr8a.tfm
./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchri8a.tfm
./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-raw-bchb8a.tfm
./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-raw-bchbi8a.tfm
./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-raw-bchc8a.tfm
./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-raw-bchci8a.tfm
./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-raw-bchr8a.tfm
./tfm/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-raw-bchri8a.tfm
./vf/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchb8a.vf
./vf/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchbi8a.vf
./vf/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchc8a.vf
./vf/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchci8a.vf
./vf/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchr8a.vf
./vf/bitstrea/charter/texnansi-bchri8a.vf

...plus this:

pdftex/config/texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map

...and a test file:

texnansi-bitstrea-charter.tex

This last generates errors when I run it, variations on:

Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi-raw-bchri8a): Font texnansi-raw-bchri8a
at 600
not found

Is it searching for a bitmap font? I must be missing some part of the
setup that identifies charter as a type1. Where do I look next?

Thanks again!

-Bill

* example of font selection
@ 2002-01-15 15:46 Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-01-15 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Help a beginner, please. Font selection escapes me. I'm puzzled by the
docs and don't know TeX well enough to read the sources.

For example, picking at random two type1 fonts on my system:
adobe/utopia and bitstrea/charter. I've verified that pdftex can read
and embed these by using the \font macro and the file names. What sort
of setup must I do so that I can use something like
\switchtobodyfont[utopia] and \switchtobodyfont[charter]?

I'm currently at pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417-2.1 and
ConTeXt  ver: 2001.12.20.

This was suggested before: \setuptypescript, but it is not defined. I
don't see docs on other interesting things, such as \starttypescript or
\loadmapfile.

-Bill