From: Bill McClain <wmcclain@salamander.com>
Cc: ntg-context <ntg-context@let.uu.nl>
Subject: Re: another example of fonts (pk files not found)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 08:13:33 -0600	[thread overview]

Andreas Ulbrich wrote:

> Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi-raw-bchri): Font texnansi-raw-bchbi at
> 600 not found

I had this also, and Hans has mentioned the fix a couple of times
recently. For me, it was because the .map file describing the relation
between the font name and outline file (tfm -> pfb) was not found. The
log will have a message something like "need map file..." which means
"need it and can't find it." If tex can't find an outline file, it drops
back and tries to find or generate a bitmap font.

The sample job which texfont generates has \loadmapfile[...] in it, but
this does not work unless

   \autoloadmapfilestrue

is set in your cont-sys.tex file. By default, it is commented out. Note
that you can place a test copy of this (or any other tex-related) file
in the current directory for experimentation purposes, and it will be
found first.

Alternatively, you can add a +map entry to pdftex.cfg, or add the new
map lines directly to pdftex.map. Neither of these are as convenient has
having the map files located and loaded automatically, as above.

When I use \autoloadmapfilestrue, I get a bunch of warning messages
about duplicated definitions, but they seen harmless.

I've just started experimenting with truetype files. pdftexman.pdf shows
that they can be referenced in a map file just like type1 fonts, using
xxx.ttf for the outline file name instead of xxx.pfb. You have to
generate a tfm file, of course. This works, but the letter spacing is
wrong for the samples I've tried, so I need to investigate more.

There has been talk of a FAQ recently. Somewhat presumptuously, I am
workining on a context/pdftex help page, which will serve merely to help
beginners like me over some of the problems I have encountered while
learning tex and context. Font definition and selection will be a big
section.

-Bill