I find that the placement of an equation number makes a difference on the amount of white after the equation. Should they both give the same amount of whitespace? Or is the difference intentional? But then why? I add a minimal example. Hans van der Meer % Test white after formula with and without equation number. \starttext \input tufte \placeformula\startformula a^2 + b^2 = c^2 \stopformula % no extra white \input tufte \placeformula[-]\startformula a^2 + b^2 = c^2 \stopformula % extra white \input tufte \stoptext