From: Bill McClain <wmcclain@salamander.com>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: new font installation and missing ligatures
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 06:41:52 -0600	[thread overview]

Hans Hagen wrote:

> this sounds strange, since lig building is done deep down into tex, and if
> \showligatures works, then i would expect other usage to work as well
>
> how does the smallest non working example code looks like?

Stranger and stranger. \showligatures displays the correct glyphs when
called by \ShowFont, but does not show the glyphs when I call it
directly in my job.

Here is demo.tex:
***
\usetypescriptfile[type-sabon]
\usetypescript[Sabon]
\setupbodyfont[Sabon, 30pt]
\noheaderandfooterlines

\def\Endash{\getglyph{Serif}{\char150}}
\def\Emdash{\getglyph{Serif}{\char151}}
\def\Fl{\getglyph{Serif}{\char8}}
\def\Fi{\getglyph{Serif}{\char12}}
\def\OpenDquote{\getglyph{Serif}{\char147}}
\def\CloseDquote{\getglyph{Serif}{\char148}}

\starttext
\startlines
>plain
`` fi fl '' -- ---

>glyphs
\OpenDquote\ \Fi\ \Fl\ \CloseDquote\ \Endash\ \Emdash

>showligatures[Serif]
\showligatures[Serif]

>macros
\ae\ \AE\ \oe\ \OE\
\stoplines
\stoptext
***

And its result: http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/demo.pdf

Here is the result of texnansi-adobe-sabon.tex as generated by texfont.
It renders the existing ligatures correctly. (I've commented out 3 of
the 4 fonts):
http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/texnansi-adobe-sabon.pdf

-Bill