* new font installation and missing ligatures
@ 2002-02-16 21:17 Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-02-16 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have installed a new font (Adobe Sabon) using texfont and have added
the procedure and examples to my beginner's help page at
http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html.

Your comments and corrections are always welcome.

The font is working well, except for one problem: no ligatures (fi, fl,
``. ''. --. ---). The really strange aspect is that the ligatures _are_
displayed by the \showligatures macro used by \ShowFont, but are _not_
displayed in my own sample code. This is odd because looking at
\showligatures, it just specifies the ligatures as plain text input.

I can access the ligature gylphs by character number, for example by:

\def\Endash{\getglyph{Serif}{\char150}}
\def\Emdash{\getglyph{Serif}{\char151}}
\def\Fl{\getglyph{Serif}{\char8}}
\def\Fi{\getglyph{Serif}{\char12}}
\def\OpenDquote{\getglyph{Serif}{\char147}}
\def\CloseDquote{\getglyph{Serif}{\char148}}

These ligature macros are working: \ae, \AE, \oe, \OE.

Any ideas?

-Bill

* Re: new font installation and missing ligatures
@ 2002-02-17 19:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-17 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:17 PM 2/16/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>I have installed a new font (Adobe Sabon) using texfont and have added
>the procedure and examples to my beginner's help page at
>http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html.
>
>Your comments and corrections are always welcome.
>
>The font is working well, except for one problem: no ligatures (fi, fl,
>``. ''. --. ---). The really strange aspect is that the ligatures _are_
>displayed by the \showligatures macro used by \ShowFont, but are _not_
>displayed in my own sample code. This is odd because looking at
>\showligatures, it just specifies the ligatures as plain text input.
>
>I can access the ligature gylphs by character number, for example by:
>
>\def\Endash{\getglyph{Serif}{\char150}}
>\def\Emdash{\getglyph{Serif}{\char151}}
>\def\Fl{\getglyph{Serif}{\char8}}
>\def\Fi{\getglyph{Serif}{\char12}}
>\def\OpenDquote{\getglyph{Serif}{\char147}}
>\def\CloseDquote{\getglyph{Serif}{\char148}}
>
>These ligature macros are working: \ae, \AE, \oe, \OE.
>
>Any ideas?

this sounds strange, since lig building is done deep down into tex, and if
\showligatures works, then i would expect other usage to work as well

how does the smallest non working example code looks like?

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new font installation and missing ligatures
@ 2002-02-20 12:41   ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-02-20 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:

> this sounds strange, since lig building is done deep down into tex, and if
> \showligatures works, then i would expect other usage to work as well
>
> how does the smallest non working example code looks like?

Stranger and stranger. \showligatures displays the correct glyphs when
called by \ShowFont, but does not show the glyphs when I call it
directly in my job.

Here is demo.tex:
***
\usetypescriptfile[type-sabon]
\usetypescript[Sabon]
\setupbodyfont[Sabon, 30pt]
\noheaderandfooterlines

\def\Endash{\getglyph{Serif}{\char150}}
\def\Emdash{\getglyph{Serif}{\char151}}
\def\Fl{\getglyph{Serif}{\char8}}
\def\Fi{\getglyph{Serif}{\char12}}
\def\OpenDquote{\getglyph{Serif}{\char147}}
\def\CloseDquote{\getglyph{Serif}{\char148}}

\starttext
\startlines
>plain
`` fi fl '' -- ---

>glyphs
\OpenDquote\ \Fi\ \Fl\ \CloseDquote\ \Endash\ \Emdash

>showligatures[Serif]
\showligatures[Serif]

>macros
\ae\ \AE\ \oe\ \OE\
\stoplines
\stoptext
***

And its result: http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/demo.pdf

Here is the result of texnansi-adobe-sabon.tex as generated by texfont.
It renders the existing ligatures correctly. (I've commented out 3 of
the 4 fonts):
http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/texnansi-adobe-sabon.pdf

-Bill