* suppressing header and keeping footer
@ 2002-02-26 16:39 Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-02-26 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a document with page numbers in the footer and other text in the
header. On the first page of a chapter I would like to suppress the
header but keep the page number. \setuphead[chapter][header=none] (or
header=empty) doesn't do what I would expect. The header is displayed on
the chapter page as well as the others. Am I using the wrong feature?

Here is a sample doc:

* * *
\setuppagenumbering
	[alternative=doublesided,
	location={footer, marginedge}]

\setuphead[chapter]
	[number=no,
	page=right,
	header=none]

\setupheadertexts
	[]
	[{\em{\getmarking[chapter]}}]
	[{\sc How I Did It}]
	[]

\starttext
\chapter{Introduction}
First page of chapter. Should have footer but no header.
\page
Second page of chapter. Should have header and footer.
\stoptext
* * *

-Bill

* Re: suppressing header and keeping footer
@ 2002-02-26 16:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-26 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:39 AM 2/26/2002 -0600, Bill McClain wrote:
>I have a document with page numbers in the footer and other text in the
>header. On the first page of a chapter I would like to suppress the
>header but keep the page number. \setuphead[chapter][header=none] (or
>header=empty) doesn't do what I would expect. The header is displayed on
>the chapter page as well as the others. Am I using the wrong feature?
>
>Here is a sample doc:
>
>* * *
>\setuppagenumbering
>         [alternative=doublesided,
>         location={footer, marginedge}]
>
>\setuphead[chapter]
>         [number=no,
>         page=right,
>         header=none]
>
>\setupheadertexts
>         []
>         [{\em{\getmarking[chapter]}}]
>         [{\sc How I Did It}]
>         []
>
>\starttext
>\chapter{Introduction}
>First page of chapter. Should have footer but no header.
>\page
>Second page of chapter. Should have header and footer.
>\stoptext

the cleanest way is:

\setuphead[chapter][header=high] % or empty

You can also define named headers and use those for chap pages and so.

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: suppressing header and keeping footer
@ 2002-02-26 20:38   ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-02-26 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> the cleanest way is:
>
> \setuphead[chapter][header=high] % or empty

I don't get it. I've tried "high", "empty", "none": no effect from any
of them. How am I supposed to apply this?

> You can also define named headers and use those for chap pages and so.

I could use an example. Is there something in the docs?

@ 2002-02-26 23:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-26 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:38 PM 2/26/2002 -0600, Bill McClain wrote:
>Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > the cleanest way is:
> >
> > \setuphead[chapter][header=high] % or empty
>
>I don't get it. I've tried "high", "empty", "none": no effect from any
>of them. How am I supposed to apply this?
>
> > You can also define named headers and use those for chap pages and so.
>
>I could use an example. Is there something in the docs?

probably

\definetext[chaptertext][footer][pagenumber]
\setuphead[chapter][header=high,footer=chaptertext]
\setupheadertexts[pagenumber]
\setupfootertexts[left][right]
\chapter{eerste} \dorecurse{20}{\input tufte \relax}
\chapter{tweede} \dorecurse{20}{\input tufte \relax}

@ 2002-02-28 14:13       ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-02-28 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:

> probably
>
> \definetext[chaptertext][footer][pagenumber]
> \setuphead[chapter][header=high,footer=chaptertext]
> \setupheadertexts[pagenumber]
> \setupfootertexts[left][right]
> \chapter{eerste} \dorecurse{20}{\input tufte \relax}
> \chapter{tweede} \dorecurse{20}{\input tufte \relax}

Sorry to be difficult, but this (and variations) is not working for me.
Here is the job:

\definetext[chaptertext][footer][pagenumber]
\setuphead[chapter][header=high,footer=chaptertext]
\setupheadertexts[pagenumber]
\setupfootertexts[left][right]
\starttext
\chapter{eerste} \dorecurse{20}{\input tufte \relax}
\chapter{tweede} \dorecurse{20}{\input tufte \relax}
\stoptext

...and here is the output:

   http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/header.pdf

The chapter pages have the same header as the other pages. My goal is to
suppress headers and keep footers on chapter pages. The manual in 4.17
has similar lines, but I don't see how to use them.

While I'm looking at 4.17, I have other questions:

(1) What does "high" mean? The manual says: "one page visible, no
whitespace". I don't know what that means. I have run experiments, but
they all look alike.

(2) The manual says "When setups are done between \start and \stop they
will only work locally." What are \start and \stop? They are not listed
in the index.

(3) What do parameters #3, 4 and 5 do in \definetext? They manual
doesn't say.

@ 2002-03-01  0:35         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-03-01  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:13 AM 2/28/2002 -0600, Bill McClain wrote:

>Sorry to be difficult, but this (and variations) is not working for me.
>Here is the job:
>
>\definetext[chaptertext][footer][pagenumber]
>\setuphead[chapter][header=high,footer=chaptertext]
>\setupheadertexts[pagenumber]
>\setupfootertexts[left][right]
>\starttext
>\chapter{eerste} \dorecurse{20}{\input tufte \relax}
>\chapter{tweede} \dorecurse{20}{\input tufte \relax}
>\stoptext
>
>...and here is the output:

you must be running a version from the previous century then; it really
works here, can you download the beta release so that we know that we run
the same version?

>    http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/header.pdf
>
>The chapter pages have the same header as the other pages. My goal is to
>suppress headers and keep footers on chapter pages. The manual in 4.17
>has similar lines, but I don't see how to use them.
>
>While I'm looking at 4.17, I have other questions:
>
>(1) What does "high" mean? The manual says: "one page visible, no
>whitespace". I don't know what that means. I have run experiments, but
>they all look alike.

high means that the header is gone and the text becomes higher

empty keeps the header but does not show it

>(2) The manual says "When setups are done between \start and \stop they
>will only work locally." What are \start and \stop? They are not listed
>in the index.

like \bgroup \egroup

>(3) What do parameters #3, 4 and 5 do in \definetext? They manual
>doesn't say.

middle and/or left|right headers; just like setupheadertexts

@ 2002-03-02 12:25           ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-03-02 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> you must be running a version from the previous century then; it really
> works here, can you download the beta release so that we know that we run
> the same version?

>From a previous month, at least. I think it was 2002.1.28. Now I have
2002.2.25 and you are correct, it does work now.

This is the first time I deleted everything in context/base before
upgrading. Perhaps some evil source left over from ancient times? I'll
add the delete to my standard procedure.

Thanks!

-Bill