From: Bill McClain <wmcclain@salamander.com>
Subject: more on missing ligatures
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:56:37 -0600	[thread overview]

I'm back to investigating why Context is not displaying ligatures from
my new Adobe Sabon font. I've discovered something else which may be a
clue: Context and plain pdftex differ in the glyphs they generate from
the same font file. I presume this is caused by some improper definition
at my end, but I don't know how to diagnose it.

In the jobs below, simple-p.tex is just plain tex. Note (a) the
ligatures don't work, (b) but the glyphs exist and can be referenced by
number, (c) certain (but not all?) accented characters are being
composed rather than using the proper glyphs. This is particularly
noticeable in the accented "A" glyphs. PDF file:
http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/simple-p.pdf.

The Context version of the same job is simple-c.tex. (a) and (b) are as
above, but for (c) it looks as if Context uses the correct glyphs rather
than composing the chars. PDF file:
http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/simple-c.pdf.

What does Context know that plain pdftex doesn't?

Finally, the sample file produced by texfont does produce the correct
ligatures:
http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/texnansi-adobe-sabon.pdf.

I'm using:
pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20010806-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)
(format=cont-en 2002.3.1)  8 MAR 2002 10:26
ConTeXt  ver: 2002.2.25  fmt: 2002.3.1  int: english  mes: english

The plain tex file:
* * *
\pdfmapfile{+texnansi-adobe-sabon.map}

\def\Fi{\char12}
\def\Fl{\char8}
\def\OpenDquote{\char147}
\def\CloseDquote{\char148}
\def\Endash{\char150}
\def\Emdash{\char151}

\font\sabon=texnansi-raw-sar at 60pt
\sabon

fi fl `` '' -- ---

\Fi\ \Fl\  \OpenDquote\ \CloseDquote\ \Endash\ \Emdash

\`A \char192

\'A \char193

\^A \char194

\~A \char195

\"A \char196

\AA \char197

\AE \char198

\c C \char199

\`a \char224

\bye
* * *

The Context file:
* * *
\def\Fi{\char12}
\def\Fl{\char8}
\def\OpenDquote{\char147}
\def\CloseDquote{\char148}
\def\Endash{\char150}
\def\Emdash{\char151}

\usetypescriptfile[type-sabon]
\usetypescript[Sabon]
\setupbodyfont[Sabon, 60pt]

\starttext
\noheaderandfooterlines

fi fl `` '' -- ---

\Fi\ \Fl\  \OpenDquote\ \CloseDquote\ \Endash\ \Emdash

\`A \char192

\'A \char193

\^A \char194

\~A \char195