* Figure numbers, Lastpage and Column questions
@ 2002-07-10 10:12 Rob van Swol
From: Rob van Swol @ 2002-07-10 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello,

I have posted these questions couple of days ago but so far no replies,
so I try again.

1. I would like to have figure numbers running from 1 to n instead of
per chapternumber. I have tried to use  \setupcaptions[way=bytext] but
this not work. Taking an example from a previous discussion I still get
Figure 1.1 instead of Figure 1

\starttext
\setupcaptions[way=bytext]
   \chapter{test} \placefigure{}{}
\stoptext

2. How do I get the total number of figures or total number of tabels,
or more general totalnumberoffloat.?

3. How do I get the total number of numbered pages (not \lastpage
because this one includes the number of unnumbered pages at the start of
my document, e.q. title page)?

4. Columns: If I put balance=no, the text after stopcolumns is placed on
a new page, which is not what I want. Also, it seems that the height=3cm
does not do anything. Basically, I want to fill the first column first
and continue in the next column after the height or number of lines are
reached. Is this possible?

Regards,
Rob

Rob W. van Swol
National Aerospace Laboratory NLR       Tel. +31 527 248252
P.O. Box 153                            Fax  +31 527 248210
8300 AD Emmeloord                       E-Mail vanswol@nlr.nl
The Netherlands                         http://www.neonet.nl/

* Re: Figure numbers, Lastpage and Column questions
@ 2002-07-10 15:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-10 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:12 PM 7/10/2002 +0200, Rob van Swol wrote:
>hello,
>
>I have posted these questions couple of days ago but so far no replies,
>so I try again.
>
>1. I would like to have figure numbers running from 1 to n instead of
>per chapternumber. I have tried to use  \setupcaptions[way=bytext] but
>this not work. Taking an example from a previous discussion I still get
>Figure 1.1 instead of Figure 1
>
>\starttext
>\setupcaptions[way=bytext]
>    \chapter{test} \placefigure{}{}
>\stoptext

this is a bug that was solved in the latest version, what version do you
run? This sample runs ok here.

>2. How do I get the total number of figures or total number of tabels,
>or more general totalnumberoffloat.?

good question, seems that i need to implement that feature; for the moment
say:

\prependtoks
   \textreference[totalnoftables]{\ruwenummer[table]}
   \textreference[totalnoffigures]{\ruwenummer[figure]}
\to \everylastshipout

\def\totalnoftables {\textreference[totalnoftables]}
\def\totalnoffigures{\textreference[totalnoffigures]}

and submit a feature request to the context bugzilla server

>3. How do I get the total number of numbered pages (not \lastpage
>because this one includes the number of unnumbered pages at the start of
>my document, e.q. title page)?

\realfolio

(\realpageno is the raw page counter)

>4. Columns: If I put balance=no, the text after stopcolumns is placed on
>a new page, which is not what I want. Also, it seems that the height=3cm
>does not do anything. Basically, I want to fill the first column first
>and continue in the next column after the height or number of lines are
>reached. Is this possible?

not with this mechanism, but columnset can be told to explictly have a
certain number of lines

(will be documented soon, after i finished a whole range of styles that can
serve as example)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Figure numbers, Lastpage and Column questions
@ 2002-07-12  8:32   ` Rob van Swol
From: Rob van Swol @ 2002-07-12  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans,

Thank you for your suggestions, but not all of them work ok.

Hans Hagen wrote:

> >1. I would like to have figure numbers running from 1 to n instead of
> >per chapternumber. I have tried to use  \setupcaptions[way=bytext] but
> >this not work. Taking an example from a previous discussion I still get
> >Figure 1.1 instead of Figure 1
> >
> >\starttext
> >\setupcaptions[way=bytext]
> >    \chapter{test} \placefigure{}{}
> >\stoptext
>
> this is a bug that was solved in the latest version, what version do you
> run? This sample runs ok here.

OK I have upgraded from version 2002.05.20 to 2002.06.25 and now it
works!

> >2. How do I get the total number of figures or total number of tabels,
> >or more general totalnumberoffloat.?
>
> good question, seems that i need to implement that feature; for the moment
> say:
>
> \prependtoks
>    \textreference[totalnoftables]{\ruwenummer[table]}
>    \textreference[totalnoffigures]{\ruwenummer[figure]}
> \to \everylastshipout
>
> \def\totalnoftables {\textreference[totalnoftables]}
> \def\totalnoffigures{\textreference[totalnoffigures]}

The last lines should be:
 \def\totalnoftables {\ref[t][totalnoftables]}
 \def\totalnoffigures{\ref[t][totalnoffigures]}

But this works only correct when using
  \setupcaptions[way=bytext]
Otherwise the I get the totalnumber of figures of the last chapter!

> >3. How do I get the total number of numbered pages (not \lastpage
> >because this one includes the number of unnumbered pages at the start of
> >my document, e.q. title page)?
>
> \realfolio

  No. with \realfolio  I get the current real page. What I want is the

@ 2002-07-12 16:07     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-12 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:32 AM 7/12/2002 +0200, Rob van Swol wrote:

> > >3. How do I get the total number of numbered pages (not \lastpage
> > >because this one includes the number of unnumbered pages at the start of
> > >my document, e.q. title page)?
> >
> > \realfolio
> >

>   No. with \realfolio  I get the current real page. What I want is the
>total number of numbered pages.

\def\lastpagenumber{1}

\def\savenofpages
   {\advance\realpageno \minusone
    \savecurrentvalue\lastpage{\realfolio}%
    \advance\userpageno \minusone
    \savecurrentvalue\lastpagenumber{\folio}}%

when you add this to cont-new.tex, you can use \lastpagenumber

@ 2002-07-16  8:06       ` Rob van Swol
From: Rob van Swol @ 2002-07-16  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans,