* scale A4 pdf with surrounding box
@ 2002-07-22 14:35 Ron van Ostayen
From: Ron van Ostayen @ 2002-07-22 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could you please help me to copy a a4-pdf file to a 80% scaled version
on a4, but with each page surrounded by a box.

texexec --pdfcopy --scale 0.8 --markings file.pdf

produces almost what I want, but instead of cutmarks I would like a box
surrounding the scaled page.
I assume there is something I can change in the produced "texexex.tex"
file to obtain the desired result?

Thanks for any help,

Ron van Ostayen

* Re: scale A4 pdf with surrounding box
@ 2002-07-22 17:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-22 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:35 PM 7/22/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Could you please help me to copy a a4-pdf file to a 80% scaled version on
>a4, but with each page surrounded by a box.
>
>texexec --pdfcopy --scale 0.8 --markings file.pdf
>
>produces almost what I want, but instead of cutmarks I would like a box
>surrounding the scaled page.
>I assume there is something I can change in the produced "texexex.tex"
>file to obtain the desired result?
>
>Thanks for any help,

you can try to add something:

\setupbackgrounds[text][frame=on]

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: scale A4 pdf with surrounding box
@ 2002-07-22 19:04   ` Ron van Ostayen
From: Ron van Ostayen @ 2002-07-22 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 04:35 PM 7/22/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> Could you please help me to copy a a4-pdf file to a 80% scaled version
>> on a4, but with each page surrounded by a box.
>>
>> texexec --pdfcopy --scale 0.8 --markings file.pdf
>>
>> produces almost what I want, but instead of cutmarks I would like a
>> box surrounding the scaled page.
>> I assume there is something I can change in the produced "texexex.tex"
>> file to obtain the desired result?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>

> you can try to add something:
>
> \setupbackgrounds[text][frame=on]

Thanks Hans,

After some experimenting I got this to work.
However, I have to use a two-step approach.

1) Copy the original pdf file to a pdf file with a frame around the paper.
	1a) texexec --pdfcopy file.pdf --result _temp_.pdf
	1b) edit the resulting texexec.tex and add \setupbackgrounds[text][frame=on]
	1c) texexec texexec.tex --result _temp_.pdf

2) Then scale the temporary pdf file
	1c) texexec --pdfcopy _temp_.pdf --scale 0.8 --result file_out.pdf

This works ok, but there must be a one-step approach I could use?

@ 2002-07-22 19:57     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-22 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:04 PM 7/22/2002 +0200, Ron van Ostayen wrote:

>Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>At 04:35 PM 7/22/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>>
>>>Could you please help me to copy a a4-pdf file to a 80% scaled version
>>>on a4, but with each page surrounded by a box.
>>>
>>>texexec --pdfcopy --scale 0.8 --markings file.pdf
>>>
>>>produces almost what I want, but instead of cutmarks I would like a box
>>>surrounding the scaled page.
>>>I assume there is something I can change in the produced "texexex.tex"
>>>file to obtain the desired result?
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help,
>>
>>you can try to add something:
>>\setupbackgrounds[text][frame=on]
>

>Thanks Hans,
>
>After some experimenting I got this to work.
>However, I have to use a two-step approach.
>

>1) Copy the original pdf file to a pdf file with a frame around the paper.
>         1a) texexec --pdfcopy file.pdf --result _temp_.pdf
>         1b) edit the resulting texexec.tex and add
> \setupbackgrounds[text][frame=on]
>         1c) texexec texexec.tex --result _temp_.pdf
>
>2) Then scale the temporary pdf file
>         1c) texexec --pdfcopy _temp_.pdf --scale 0.8 --result file_out.pdf
>
>This works ok, but there must be a one-step approach I could use?

-  copy the texexec.tex file to t-myfile.tex

-  replace the filename in there by \jobfilename

-  then run texexec as follows: texexec --use=myfile filename.tex

simple example:

======== u-myfile.tex ==========

\starttext

filename: \jobfilename

% uncomment this line as example : \input \jobfilename

\stoptext

================================

now run : texexec --use=myfile tufte.tex

and see what happens

Hans

@ 2002-07-22 21:24       ` Ron van Ostayen
From: Ron van Ostayen @ 2002-07-22 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

 > -  copy the texexec.tex file to t-myfile.tex
 >
 > -  replace the filename in there by \jobfilename
 >
 > -  then run texexec as follows: texexec --use=myfile filename.tex
 >
 > simple example:
 >
 > ======== u-myfile.tex ==========
 >
 > \starttext
 >
 > filename: \jobfilename
 >
 > % uncomment this line as example : \input \jobfilename
 >
 > \stoptext
 >
 > ================================
 >
 > now run : texexec --use=myfile tufte.tex
 >
 > and see what happens

I've tried this, but no luck :-(
The problem is, I think, the fact that I start with a pdf-file (input.pdf),
run it through a modified pdfcopy to frame the pages
(framed.pdf),
then run it through pdfcopy to scale it
(output.pdf).

texexec --once --pdf t-frame --result=framed.pdf
texexec --once --pdf t-scale --result=output.pdf

I don't know how to apply your suggestion to my files.
In my case the \jobfilename would be a pdf-file (input.pdf)?

texexec --use=scale t-frame

with framed.pdf in t-scale.tex replaced by \jobfilename.
This fails with no figure t-frame found error.

But anyhow, it must be possible to scale and frame in one go?

BTW, now we're spending time fixing things that aren't really broken.
Your first suggestion to add \setupbackgrounds[text][frame=on] gave me
enough info to produce a scaled and framed result.  But I'm still trying
to learn ConTeXt, and I'm curious how to solve this problem in 1
context-file instead of 2.

Ron van Ostayen

===== t-frame.tex ======
% format=english