* Windows install
@ 2002-08-25 13:38 Marc
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marc @ 2002-08-25 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having to go through the painful process of installing ConTeXt on a new Win200 PC installation. TeX
install is MiKTeX v2.2. Perl is Active Perl. (I should have written notes the first time I installed it, but
there was so much trial and error that I had no idea what was, and what wasn't, relevant :-( )

When I run texexec --make I get: "! You have to increase POOLSIZE."
Full script below. Can any one point me where to look to fix?

Thanks,
Marc

When I compile, I get:

______________________________
>texexec _temp

 TeXExec 3.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : _temp
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00c-pretest-20020426-2.1 (MiKTeX 2.2)
pdfetex.exe --ini --interaction=nonstopmode --halt-on-error --alias cont-en *C:/tex/tex/context/base
/cont-en.tex \dump
! You have to increase POOLSIZE.
initexmf: pdfetex.exe failed on cont-en.tex
I can't find the default format file!

              run time : 1 seconds

        total run time : 2 seconds
_________________________________

________________________________
>texexec --make

 TeXExec 3.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

! You have to increase POOLSIZE.
! You have to increase POOLSIZE.
(C:\tex\metapost\context\metafun.mp (C:\tex\metapost\base\plain.mp
Preloading the plain mem file, version 0.64)
(C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-tool.mp) (C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-spec.mp
) (C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-core.mp)
(C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-page.mp) (C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-text.mp
) (C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-shap.mp)
(C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-butt.mp) (C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-char.mp
) (C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-step.mp)
(C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-grph.mp) (C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-grid.mp
(C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-form.mp (C:\tex\metapost\base\string.mp)
(C:\tex\metapost\base\marith.mp (C:\tex\metapost\base\string.mp))))
(C:\tex\metapost\context\mp-func.mp) )
Beginning to dump on file metafun.mem
 (preloaded mem=metafun 2002.8.25)
at most 2726 strings of total length 36123
42322 memory locations dumped; current usage is 11209&30986
1581 symbolic tokens
Transcript written on metafun.log.
! You have to increase POOLSIZE.

            TeX binary : pdfetex
             format(s) : en nl metafun mptopdf

        total run time : 3 seconds

* Re: Windows install
@ 2002-08-25 14:53 ` mari.voipio
From: mari.voipio @ 2002-08-25 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Marc wrote:
> When I run texexec --make I get: "! You have to increase POOLSIZE."
> Full script below. Can any one point me where to look to fix?

Actually, I did just 5 days ago - but the message header talked about
fonts so you probably didn't think to look for solution there. I
originally found the answer by doing a search in the mailing list archive,
but it took some trial and error to come this far.

I wrote on August 25:
3. I tried to update the format files (MikTeX Options, General).
   Got the "increase poolsize" warning at cont-en. Cancelled update,
   went to miktex.ini and increased the pool size from
   500000 to 1000000. Retried format update and made it this time.

mari

BTW, TeXLive had default poolsize for ConTeXt 1 250 000, so I didn't get
stuck at this point with it. On the moment I'm evaluating TeXLive vs.
MikTeX when wanting ConTeXt in Windows.

* Re: Windows install
@ 2002-08-25 15:23 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-08-25 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Sunday, August 25, 2002 Marc wrote:

M> I am having to go through the painful process of installing ConTeXt on a new Win200 PC installation. TeX
M> install is MiKTeX v2.2. Perl is Active Perl. (I should have written notes the first time I installed it, but
M> there was so much trial and error that I had no idea what was, and what wasn't, relevant :-( )

M> When I run texexec --make I get: "! You have to increase POOLSIZE."

Find miktex.ini (you should have two, if you use a localtexmf; use
the one that comes first in your search path, which you can set in
miktex options. usually it's better to put localtexmf first in the
search order and edit *that* miktex.ini)

There should be a [ConTeXt] section. Under that, put

pool_size=1000000

(that's 1 with six 0's)

I also add

write18=enable

in that section to be able to call MP from within ConTeXt.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Windows install
@ 2002-08-25 18:44 ` Marc
From: Marc @ 2002-08-25 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From mari.voipio@iki.fi on 25 Aug 2002

> On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Marc wrote:
> > When I run texexec --make I get: "! You have to increase POOLSIZE."
> > Full script below. Can any one point me where to look to fix?
>
> Actually, I did just 5 days ago - but the message header talked about
> fonts so you probably didn't think to look for solution there. I
> originally found the answer by doing a search in the mailing list
> archive, but it took some trial and error to come this far.
>
> I wrote on August 25:
> 3. I tried to update the format files (MikTeX Options, General).
>    Got the "increase poolsize" warning at cont-en. Cancelled update,
>    went to miktex.ini and increased the pool size from 500000 to
>    1000000. Retried format update and made it this time.
>
> mari
>
> BTW, TeXLive had default poolsize for ConTeXt 1 250 000, so I didn't
> get stuck at this point with it. On the moment I'm evaluating TeXLive
> vs. MikTeX when wanting ConTeXt in Windows.

Yes, Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta wtote and suggested:

To: miktex.ini
Section: [ConTeXt]
Add line:
pool_size=1000000
Addline:
write18=enable

This worked for
> texexec --make en
But fails after a couple of minutes with
> texexec --make
with

macros, math definitions,
skipping used \tenex in plain
output routines, hyphenation
skipping \input in plain
skipping \tenrm in plain
)
system (E-TEX) : [line 207] \savinghyphcodes
) (C:\tex\tex\context\base\supp-pdf.tex (C:\tex\tex\context\base\supp-mis.tex
)
) (C:\tex\tex\context\base\supp-mpe.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.520 \appendtoks

?

Ah! The pain...

Best,
Marc

* Re[2]: Windows install
@ 2002-08-25 19:40   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-08-25 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Sunday, August 25, 2002 Marc wrote:

M> This worked for
>> texexec --make en
M> But fails after a couple of minutes with
>> texexec --make
M> with

First of all, make sure you refreshed the filename database.
Secondly, note that the default MiKTeX install has the ConTeXt
support files to convert MPS to PDF even when the context.cab
package is not installed, but these might be out of date.

Do you have a local texmf tree distinct from the normal MiKTeX
one? If yes, make sure it is searched before the normal one (in
MiKTeX options).

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta