* Figured bass symbols in a text.
@ 2012-08-10  9:35 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2012-08-10  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

Is there a neat way to insert a stack of three figures in a line of text with the middle one sitting on the base line?
I need it in a discussion of figured bass. (Figured bass is a system to indicate harmonies to be played above a bass-line. The figures can be single or stacked, two or three above each other. In discussing this topic in articles and books these "figures" are usually written as they appear in the music scores, in other words, stacked.)
For a stack of  two figures it can be done perfectly with \lohi{}{}.

Is there a way to do it for a stack of three figures with the middle one sitting on the base line? (Something like \lomihi{}{}{}?)

Here is an example in which the problem is stated once more.
\starttext

This does not look professional.

A typical problematic example of this printing practice is Monteverdi's  {\em L'Orfeo}, where, in the third act, in Speranze's recitative  {\em Ecco l'atra palude}, several single fourths are printed, leaving for the continuo player the choice to play 5/4, 6/4, or 7/4/2.
\medskip

This does, for  \lohi{4}{5} and \lohi{4}{6}. But how could this be done also for 7/4/2? (Interline distance may be enlarged as necessary.)

A typical problematic example of this printing practice is Monteverdi's  {\em L'Orfeo}, where, in the third act, in Speranze's recitative  {\em Ecco l'atra palude}, several single fourths are printed, leaving for the continuo player the choice to play \lohi{4}{5}, \lohi{4}{6}, or 7/4/2.
\stoptext

* Re: Figured bass symbols in a text.
@ 2012-08-10 16:00 ` Rogers, Michael K
From: Rogers, Michael K @ 2012-08-10 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since no one has offered a quick ConTeXt solution, I offer my usual -- a dumb Plain TeX solution:

\def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{#3}$}

With the Computer Modern font, the top is a little further away from the middle than the bottom.  It can be adjusted with something like

\def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{\lower0.23pt\hbox{$\scriptstyle{#3}$}}$}

but this would probably have to be adjusted for each font and size.

Hope that helps,

Michael

On Aug 10, 2012, at 5:35 AM, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Is there a neat way to insert a stack of three figures in a line of text with the middle one sitting on the base line?
> I need it in a discussion of figured bass. (Figured bass is a system to indicate harmonies to be played above a bass-line. The figures can be single or stacked, two or three above each other. In discussing this topic in articles and books these "figures" are usually written as they appear in the music scores, in other words, stacked.)
> For a stack of  two figures it can be done perfectly with \lohi{}{}.
>
> Is there a way to do it for a stack of three figures with the middle one sitting on the base line? (Something like \lomihi{}{}{}?)
>
> Here is an example in which the problem is stated once more.
> \starttext
>
> This does not look professional.
>
> A typical problematic example of this printing practice is Monteverdi's  {\em L'Orfeo}, where, in the third act, in Speranze's recitative  {\em Ecco l'atra palude}, several single fourths are printed, leaving for the continuo player the choice to play 5/4, 6/4, or 7/4/2.
> \medskip
>
> This does, for  \lohi{4}{5} and \lohi{4}{6}. But how could this be done also for 7/4/2? (Interline distance may be enlarged as necessary.)
>
> A typical problematic example of this printing practice is Monteverdi's  {\em L'Orfeo}, where, in the third act, in Speranze's recitative  {\em Ecco l'atra palude}, several single fourths are printed, leaving for the continuo player the choice to play \lohi{4}{5}, \lohi{4}{6}, or 7/4/2.
> \stoptext

________________________________

prohibited.

* Re: Figured bass symbols in a text.
@ 2012-08-10 16:08   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-08-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.08.2012 um 18:00 schrieb "Rogers, Michael K" <mroge02@emory.edu>:

> Hi,
>
> Since no one has offered a quick ConTeXt solution, I offer my usual -- a dumb Plain TeX solution:
>
> \def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{#3}$}
>
> With the Computer Modern font, the top is a little further away from the middle than the bottom.  It can be adjusted with something like
>
> \def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{\lower0.23pt\hbox{$\scriptstyle{#3}$}}$}
>
> but this would probably have to be adjusted for each font and size.

You can use \framed:

\defineframed[lohimi][align=flushleft,location=middle,frame=off,foregroundstyle=\tx]

\starttext
text \lohi{1}{2} text \lohimi{1\\2\\3} text
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Figured bass symbols in a text.
@ 2012-08-10 17:59     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-08-10 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-8-2012 18:08, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 10.08.2012 um 18:00 schrieb "Rogers, Michael K" <mroge02@emory.edu>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since no one has offered a quick ConTeXt solution, I offer my usual -- a dumb Plain TeX solution:
>>
>> \def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{#3}$}
>>
>> With the Computer Modern font, the top is a little further away from the middle than the bottom.  It can be adjusted with something like
>>
>> \def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{\lower0.23pt\hbox{$\scriptstyle{#3}$}}$}
>>
>> but this would probably have to be adjusted for each font and size.
>
> You can use \framed:
>
> \defineframed[lohimi][align=flushleft,location=middle,frame=off,foregroundstyle=\tx]
>
> \starttext
> text \lohi{1}{2} text \lohimi{1\\2\\3} text
> \stoptext

Neat trick.

===

Wolfgang,

The next beta has:

\starttext

\definelow       [MyLow]   [style=\txx]
\definehigh      [MyHigh]  [style=\txx]
\definelowhigh   [MyLoHi]  [style=\txx]
\definelowmidhigh[MyLoMiHi][style=\txx]

We have
     \ruledhbox{\low         {L}} and \ruledhbox{\MyLow         {L}} and
     \ruledhbox{\high        {H}} and \ruledhbox{\MyHigh        {H}} and
     \ruledhbox{\lohi     {L}{H}} and \ruledhbox{\MyLoHi     {L}{H}} and
     \ruledhbox{\lomihi{L}{M}{H}} and \ruledhbox{\MyLoMiHi{L}{M}{H}}.

\stoptext

So, we have low/high definable and clonable etc. Best check if the
defaults are compatible. Valid parameters are 'up', 'down' and
'distance' (dimensions) and of course 'style' and 'color'.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-08-10 19:09       ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-08-10 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans wrote:
> So, we have low/high definable and clonable etc. Best check if the defaults
> are compatible. Valid parameters are 'up', 'down' and 'distance'
> (dimensions) and of course 'style' and 'color'.

Just downloaded and tested, looks nice.
Small bug: It's called lomihi, but the arguments are placed middle/high/low.

For documentation/clarification, is the following correct?
distance = extra kerning, distance between lomihi and preceding character.
up = how much the {hi} arg is raised
down = how much the {low} arg is lowered

Support for the [left] keyword seems to have been dropped, but is
still in the documentation comments.
Perhaps instead support align=..., and turn distance= into kernbefore=
and kernafter=? Sorry about not knowing enough to implement it myself.

Cheers,
Sietse

@ 2012-08-10 23:03         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-08-10 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-8-2012 21:09, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
> Hans wrote:
>> So, we have low/high definable and clonable etc. Best check if the defaults
>> are compatible. Valid parameters are 'up', 'down' and 'distance'
>> (dimensions) and of course 'style' and 'color'.
>
> Just downloaded and tested, looks nice.
> Small bug: It's called lomihi, but the arguments are placed middle/high/low.

ok, i'll fix that ... (or maybe midlowhigh is nicer ?)

> For documentation/clarification, is the following correct?
> distance = extra kerning, distance between lomihi and preceding character.

only with low, high an lohi

> up = how much the {hi} arg is raised
> down = how much the {low} arg is lowered

indeed

> Support for the [left] keyword seems to have been dropped, but is
> still in the documentation comments.

still there, only for lohi .. maybe we should add an align key some day

> Perhaps instead support align=..., and turn distance= into kernbefore=
> and kernafter=? Sorry about not knowing enough to implement it myself.

hm, distance is often used for this so that's better

I'll do 'align' when there is demand for it.

Thanks for keeping the wiki so up to date.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

       [not found] <mailman.3.1344938401.1170.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2012-08-14 17:23 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2012-08-14 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 14 aug. 2012, at 11:58:49 -0400,  John Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com> wrote

> Consider also creating the figured bass (or any musical notation)
> in the shareware package Mup. The output is a ps file. Then the
> notation and any accompanying verse can be treated as a graphic import.
> There are horses for courses. For music I always use MUP.

Thank you for the tip. I had a quick look at it. It looks interesting, and at least superficially a bit like Lilypond, which I gave a try many years ago.
But I think I will stay with Finale, which fulfills all my needs in the field of music notation, including, in recent versions, figured bass. My problem was not with music notation but with inserting some of the symbols and characters in a normal text. The stacked BC-figures are under control now. Other special symbols, like that for an augmented fourth, a diminished fifth and the "petite sixte" may become a problem. But I have not seen those in the impressively long list or symbols available in MUP either.
Kind regards,
Robert Blackstone

* Re: Figured bass symbols in a text.
@ 2012-08-13 15:58   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2012-08-13 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers:

* Re: Figured bass symbols in a text.
@ 2012-08-12 12:48   ` Rogers, Michael K
From: Rogers, Michael K @ 2012-08-12 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 12, 2012, at 5:00 AM, Robert Blackstone wrote:
> On 10 aug. 2012, at 21:09, 19:59:36, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote
>> The next beta has:
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \definelow       [MyLow]   [style=\txx]
>> \definehigh      [MyHigh]  [style=\txx]
>> \definelowhigh   [MyLoHi]  [style=\txx]
>> \definelowmidhigh[MyLoMiHi][style=\txx]
>>
>> We have
>>    \ruledhbox{\low         {L}} and \ruledhbox{\MyLow         {L}} and
>>    \ruledhbox{\high        {H}} and \ruledhbox{\MyHigh        {H}} and
>>    \ruledhbox{\lohi     {L}{H}} and \ruledhbox{\MyLoHi     {L}{H}} and
>>    \ruledhbox{\lomihi{L}{M}{H}} and \ruledhbox{\MyLoMiHi{L}{M}{H}}.
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> Hi Hans,
> I just tested this for the figured bass symbols in my text. It is perfect.
>
> And it has at least one important advantage over the plain-TeX method, kindly offered by Michael Rogers, in that it uses the same font as that for he main text,...

It uses the math font, which is worse.  I should have wrapped the arguments with \hbox and thrown in a \tx or \txx.  Or waited a little longer for the good solution. :)

Best,

Michael

________________________________

prohibited.

* Re: Figured bass symbols in a text.
       [not found] <mailman.99.1344625786.14247.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2012-08-12  9:00 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2012-08-12  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2012-08-11  7:13 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2012-08-11  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 10 aug. 2012, at 18:08:36 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster@gmail.com> wrote

> Am 10.08.2012 um 18:00 schrieb "Rogers, Michael K" <mroge02@emory.edu>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since no one has offered a quick ConTeXt solution, I offer my usual -- a dumb Plain TeX solution:
>>
>> \def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{#3}$}
>>
>> With the Computer Modern font, the top is a little further away from the middle than the bottom.  It can be adjusted with something like
>>
>> \def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{\lower0.23pt\hbox{$\scriptstyle{#3}$}}$}
>>
>> but this would probably have to be adjusted for each font and size.
>
> You can use \framed:
>
> \defineframed[lohimi][align=flushleft,location=middle,frame=off,foregroundstyle=\tx]
>
> \starttext
> text \lohi{1}{2} text \lohimi{1\\2\\3} text
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Though you actually replied to Michael Rogers' mail I consider myself to be a recipient of your advice too. Thank you very much for your help.

For my purpose the "dumb Plain TeX solution" that Michael Rogers suggested works better as the distances between the figures are short enough to make it look like one symbol.
Which is the way I prefer it in this sort of text.
Thanks again,

Kind regards,
Robert

@ 2012-08-11  7:03 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2012-08-11  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 10 aug. 2012, at 16:00, "Rogers, Michael K" <mroge02@emory.edu> wrote

> Since no one has offered a quick ConTeXt solution, I offer my usual -- a dumb Plain TeX solution:
>
> \def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{#3}$}
>
> With the Computer Modern font, the top is a little further away from the middle than the bottom.  It can be adjusted with something like
>
> \def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{\lower0.23pt\hbox{$\scriptstyle{#3}$}}$}
>
> but this would probably have to be adjusted for each font and size.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Michael

Thank you very much. It certainly helps. This is exactly what I need.

Kind regards,
Rober