* Fwd: Strange error...
@ 2002-11-02 20:33 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-02 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Hi Hans,
>
>while busy to develop more FLOWcharts, I get the following error, which does
>not lead to fatal exit. The resulting pdf-file is according to my oppinion
>o.k.
>
>Do you have an idea what is wrong?

>systems        : end file cenj at line 244
>! pdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier
>(name{page:15}) h
>as been already used, duplicate ignored
><recently read> fit
>
><to be read again>
>                    \egroup
>\fakePDFpagedestination ...e:\realfolio }}\egroup
>                                                   \fi \fi \fi
>\actualshipout ...chbox \hbox {\the \everyshipout
>                                                   \ifnum \realpageno
>=\lastp...
>
>\myshipout ...pout {\thisisrealpage \realfolio #1}
>                                                   \fi \gotonextrealpage
>\nap...
>
>\dofinaloutput ...pagebody #1#2\setpagecounters }}
>                                                   \fi \the
>\everyaftershipou...
>l.244 \stoptext
>                 [16.15] )
>

>Groet Willi

this is pdftex's way of telling you that you have a duplicate reference

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Fwd: Strange error...
@ 2002-11-04  9:26 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-11-04  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 02 Nov 2002 21:33:17 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> >Do you have an idea what is wrong?

> >systems        : end file cenj at line 244
> >! pdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier
> >(name{page:15}) h
> >as been already used, duplicate ignored
> ><recently read> fit
> >
> ><to be read again>
> >                    \egroup
> >\fakePDFpagedestination ...e:\realfolio }}\egroup
> >                                                   \fi \fi \fi
> >\actualshipout ...chbox \hbox {\the \everyshipout
> >                                                   \ifnum \realpageno
> >=\lastp...
> >
> >\myshipout ...pout {\thisisrealpage \realfolio #1}
> >                                                   \fi \gotonextrealpage
> >\nap...
> >
> >\dofinaloutput ...pagebody #1#2\setpagecounters }}
> >                                                   \fi \the
> >\everyaftershipou...
> >l.244 \stoptext

> this is pdftex's way of telling you that you have a duplicate reference

After the update to version 2002-10-23 i get the same error. I'm sure
that it was not there using the previous ConTeXt version. Here the
message is:
! pdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier (name{page:16}) h
as been already used, duplicate ignored
<recently read> fit

<to be read again>
                   \egroup
\fakePDFpagedestination ...e:\realfolio }}\egroup
                                                  \fi \fi \fi
\actualshipout ...chbox \hbox {\the \everyshipout
                                                  \ifnum \realpageno =\lastp...

\myshipout ...pout {\thisisrealpage \realfolio #1}
                                                  \fi \gotonextrealpage \nap...

\dofinaloutput ...pagebody #1#2\setpagecounters }}
                                                  \fi \the \everyaftershipou...
l.40 \stopproduct
                  [17.17] )

Are you sure that this is not a bug in ConTeXt? I normally do not label
destinations/references as "name{page:16}".

Jens

* Re: Fwd: Strange error...
@ 2002-11-05  8:43   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-05  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:26 AM 11/4/2002 +0100, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:

>After the update to version 2002-10-23 i get the same error. I'm sure
>that it was not there using the previous ConTeXt version. Here the
>message is:
>! pdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier
>(name{page:16}) h
>as been already used, duplicate ignored
><recently read> fit
>
><to be read again>
>                    \egroup
>\fakePDFpagedestination ...e:\realfolio }}\egroup
>                                                   \fi \fi \fi
>\actualshipout ...chbox \hbox {\the \everyshipout
>                                                   \ifnum \realpageno
> =\lastp...
>
>\myshipout ...pout {\thisisrealpage \realfolio #1}
>                                                   \fi \gotonextrealpage
> \nap...
>
>\dofinaloutput ...pagebody #1#2\setpagecounters }}
>                                                   \fi \the
> \everyaftershipou...
>l.40 \stopproduct
>                   [17.17] )
>
>Are you sure that this is not a bug in ConTeXt? I normally do not label
>destinations/references as "name{page:16}".

You can search for page: in spec-fdf.tex, there should be something:

\def\fakePDFpagedestination
   {\iflocation \ifovercomePDFpage \ifarrangingpages \else
      \bgroup
      \advance\realpageno \minusone
      \expanded{\doPDFdestination name {page:\realfolio}}%
      \egroup
    \fi \fi \fi}

\appendtoksonce
   \fakePDFpagedestination
\to \everyshipout

This was added because there was some not upward compatibility handling of
page refs in acrobat 5 (simple pag enumber destinations worked ok <5, now
it should be object numbers, for which we need some low level support in
pdftex).

@ 2002-11-05 17:47     ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-11-05 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:43:42 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> You can search for page: in spec-fdf.tex, there should be something:
>
> \def\fakePDFpagedestination
>    {\iflocation \ifovercomePDFpage \ifarrangingpages \else
>       \bgroup
>       \advance\realpageno \minusone
>       \expanded{\doPDFdestination name {page:\realfolio}}%
>       \egroup
>     \fi \fi \fi}
>
> \appendtoksonce
>    \fakePDFpagedestination
> \to \everyshipout
>
> This was added because there was some not upward compatibility handling of
> page refs in acrobat 5 (simple pag enumber destinations worked ok <5, now
> it should be object numbers, for which we need some low level support in
> pdftex).

i believe that the handling of those problems is necessary, but
currently your code creates to destinations with the same label.
Therefore pdftex gives this warning message. Thus, the reason for this
warning/error is IMO a bug and should be fixed.

Best,
  Jens

* Re: Fwd: Strange error...
@ 2002-11-06 10:11       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-06 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 06:47 PM 11/5/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:43:42 +0100
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> > You can search for page: in spec-fdf.tex, there should be something:
> >
> > \def\fakePDFpagedestination
> >    {\iflocation \ifovercomePDFpage \ifarrangingpages \else
> >       \bgroup
> >       \advance\realpageno \minusone
> >       \expanded{\doPDFdestination name {page:\realfolio}}%
> >       \egroup
> >     \fi \fi \fi}
> >
> > \appendtoksonce
> >    \fakePDFpagedestination
> > \to \everyshipout
> >
> > This was added because there was some not upward compatibility handling of
> > page refs in acrobat 5 (simple pag enumber destinations worked ok <5, now
> > it should be object numbers, for which we need some low level support in
> > pdftex).
>
>i believe that the handling of those problems is necessary, but
>currently your code creates to destinations with the same label.
>Therefore pdftex gives this warning message. Thus, the reason for this
>warning/error is IMO a bug and should be fixed.

Sure, but i wonder why it is generated more than once, since it happens at
shipout time, are you sure the previous code is in your file?

[if the problem is persistent, in need a minimal example showing it]

@ 2002-11-06 20:33         ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2002-11-06 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

> > > You can search for page: in spec-fdf.tex, there should be something:
> > >
> > > \def\fakePDFpagedestination
> > >    {\iflocation \ifovercomePDFpage \ifarrangingpages \else
> > >       \bgroup
> > >       \advance\realpageno \minusone
> > >       \expanded{\doPDFdestination name {page:\realfolio}}%
> > >       \egroup
> > >     \fi \fi \fi}
> > >
> > > \appendtoksonce
> > >    \fakePDFpagedestination
> > > \to \everyshipout
> > >
> > > This was added because there was some not upward compatibility
handling of
> > > page refs in acrobat 5 (simple pag enumber destinations worked ok <5,
now
> > > it should be object numbers, for which we need some low level support
in
> > > pdftex).
> >
> >i believe that the handling of those problems is necessary, but
> >currently your code creates to destinations with the same label.
> >Therefore pdftex gives this warning message. Thus, the reason for this
> >warning/error is IMO a bug and should be fixed.
>
> Sure, but i wonder why it is generated more than once, since it happens at
> shipout time, are you sure the previous code is in your file?
>
> [if the problem is persistent, in need a minimal example showing it]

I looked for the code mentioned. In my version, which is pdfeTeX, Version
3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211-2.1 (Web2c 7.3.7x) (format=cont-en
2002.10.20) and ConTeXt  ver: 2002.10.2  fmt: 2002.10.20  int: english  mes:
english
I could not find the given code.
I copied the code into the mentioned file.

Recompilation did not reveal any change. The error is still there.

Then I started to comment \startfrontmatter and \startbodymatter and the
respective \stop commands. The error did not occur then.(!)

I startet to make minimal test file, using \startfrontmatter and
\startbodymatter and the respective \stop commands. Though copying more and
more elements from the original file the error did not occur.
Finally I had made up a complete copy of the original file as test. For the
last run I renamed this test file to the original file and there was no
problem. - So I am a bit puzzled how this is possible??

During fiddling around with \startfrontmatter and \startbodymatter and the
respective \stop commands I saw, that while using these commands there is
always an extra, empty page at the end, though I used a singlesided lay-out.
The empty page can not only be an even page but also an odd page. Is this an
intended behaviour?

Willi

* Re: Fwd: Strange error...
@ 2002-11-06 21:09         ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-11-06 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 11:11:26 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Sure, but i wonder why it is generated more than once, since it happens at
> shipout time, are you sure the previous code is in your file?
>
> [if the problem is persistent, in need a minimal example showing it]

it only happens in a project-product structure, so here are the
product and its only component:
%%-- prod.tex -->
% output=pdftex interface=en
\startproduct prod

\setupinteraction[state=start]

%\startbodymatter
	\component comp
	\component comp
%\stopbodymatter

%\startbackmatter
       \component comp
%\stopbackmatter

\stopproduct
%%-----<

%%-- comp.tex -->
\startcomponent comp
\product prod

\chapter{A Chapter}

\section{A Section}
\input tufte

\section{Another Section}
\input tufte

\stopcomponent
%%-----<

The files above do not show the error, but if you uncomment the
\start|stopbodymatter and/or \start|stopbackmatter then pdftex
gives the message about duplicate destinations

An additional problem is that i get an empty page at the end of my
document.

Hope it helps. Best,
  Jens

* Re: Fwd: Strange error...
@ 2002-11-06 22:37           ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-11-06 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 22:09:53 +0100
Jens-Uwe Morawski <morawski@gmx.net> wrote:

> it only happens in a project-product structure, so here are the
> product and its only component:

Uups, wrong testing. Sorry. As Willi has already reported the problem
seems to be the \start|stop[front|body|back]matter thingies. So a real
minimal example showing the problem is simply:

% output=pdftex interface=en
\starttext

\setupinteraction[state=start]

\startbodymatter
This is a sample text.
\stopbodymatter

\stoptext

This gives a document with _two_ pages, so there is an extra not wanted
empty page at the end.

Jens

* Re: Fwd: Strange error...
@ 2002-11-07  9:51           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-07  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:09 PM 11/6/2002 +0100, you wrote:

 > The files above do not show the error, but if you uncomment the ...

It's related to the sectioning structure. (well, it show up there).

The problem is in a local manipulation with the real page counter, adding
grouping solves the problem:

\def\savenofpages
   {\bgroup
    \advance\realpageno \minusone
    \savecurrentvalue\lastpage\realfolio
    \advance\userpageno \minusone
    \savecurrentvalue\lastpagenumber\folio
    \egroup}

Now, for that extra last page, this is a side effect of resetting marks
(should be an (e)tex primitive, but sofar i could not convince implementers).

For the moment i'll add the following to my local cont-new file:

\appendtoks
   \gdef\shipout{\dowithnextbox{\deadcycles\zerocount}}%
\to \everylastshipout

I hope that there are no unwanted side effects.

@ 2002-11-07 20:09             ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-11-07 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 07 Nov 2002 10:51:00 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 10:09 PM 11/6/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>
>  > The files above do not show the error, but if you uncomment the ...
>
> It's related to the sectioning structure. (well, it show up there).
>
> The problem is in a local manipulation with the real page counter, adding
> grouping solves the problem:
>
> \def\savenofpages
>    {\bgroup
>     \advance\realpageno \minusone
>     \savecurrentvalue\lastpage\realfolio
>     \advance\userpageno \minusone
>     \savecurrentvalue\lastpagenumber\folio
>     \egroup}
>
> Now, for that extra last page, this is a side effect of resetting marks
> (should be an (e)tex primitive, but sofar i could not convince implementers).
>
> For the moment i'll add the following to my local cont-new file:
>
> \appendtoks
>    \gdef\shipout{\dowithnextbox{\deadcycles\zerocount}}%
> \to \everylastshipout

many thanks, this helps

Jens

* Re: Fwd: Strange error...
@ 2002-11-07 21:28             ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2002-11-07 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

I added the grouping  in the file page-num.tex as suggested. The code which
you provided for cont-new is also placed.

The project I am currently working on works perfectly. The main file
contains a series of FLOWcharts and is built with the \startfrontmatter cum
suis. So no pdfetex error and no empty page.

Thanks for your support!

Willi

* Re: Fwd: Strange error...
@ 2002-11-08  8:27               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-08  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:28 PM 11/7/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Hans,
>
>I added the grouping  in the file page-num.tex as suggested. The code which
>you provided for cont-new is also placed.
>
>The project I am currently working on works perfectly. The main file
>contains a series of FLOWcharts and is built with the \startfrontmatter cum
>suis. So no pdfetex error and no empty page.

actually, the patch should be:

\appendtoks
   \ifnum\textlevel>\zerocount \else
     \gdef\shipout{\dowithnextbox{\deadcycles\zerocount}}%
   \fi
\to \everylastshipout

@ 2002-11-08 10:10                 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-11-08 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:27:08 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 10:28 PM 11/7/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hi Hans,
> >
> >I added the grouping  in the file page-num.tex as suggested. The code which
> >you provided for cont-new is also placed.
> >
> >The project I am currently working on works perfectly. The main file
> >contains a series of FLOWcharts and is built with the \startfrontmatter cum
> >suis. So no pdfetex error and no empty page.
>
> actually, the patch should be:
>
> \appendtoks
>    \ifnum\textlevel>\zerocount \else
>      \gdef\shipout{\dowithnextbox{\deadcycles\zerocount}}%
>    \fi
> \to \everylastshipout

IMO, patching files here and there by the user is okay for small problems.
This problem seems to me a bit more problematic, so, could you please
make a bugfix release.

Thanks.
  Jens

* Re: Fwd: Strange error...
@ 2002-11-08 16:09                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-08 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:10 AM 11/8/2002 +0100, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
>On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:27:08 +0100
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> > At 10:28 PM 11/7/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> > >Hi Hans,
> > >
> > >I added the grouping  in the file page-num.tex as suggested. The code
> which
> > >you provided for cont-new is also placed.
> > >
> > >The project I am currently working on works perfectly. The main file
> > >contains a series of FLOWcharts and is built with the
> \startfrontmatter cum
> > >suis. So no pdfetex error and no empty page.
> >
> > actually, the patch should be:
> >
> > \appendtoks
> >    \ifnum\textlevel>\zerocount \else
> >      \gdef\shipout{\dowithnextbox{\deadcycles\zerocount}}%
> >    \fi
> > \to \everylastshipout
>
>IMO, patching files here and there by the user is okay for small problems.
>This problem seems to me a bit more problematic, so, could you please
>make a bugfix release.

this patch will be moved from my local cont-loc.tex to the core when i
think that it's a safe one ... so, it will need a couple of days testing

@ 2002-11-11 14:17                 ` Rob van Swol
From: Rob van Swol @ 2002-11-11 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

However, the first patch works for me witch Context ver: 2002.10.23 and
the latter does not!!

This one works!

\appendtoks
   \gdef\shipout{\dowithnextbox{\deadcycles\zerocount}}%
\to \everylastshipout

This one doe not!

Hans Hagen wrote:

> actually, the patch should be:
>
> \appendtoks
>    \ifnum\textlevel>\zerocount \else
>      \gdef\shipout{\dowithnextbox{\deadcycles\zerocount}}%
>    \fi
> \to \everylastshipout
>
> Hans

Rob W. van Swol
National Aerospace Laboratory NLR       Tel. +31 527 248252
P.O. Box 153                            Fax  +31 527 248210
8300 AD Emmeloord                       E-Mail vanswol@nlr.nl
The Netherlands                         http://www.neonet.nl/