* Re: How to make an accent
       [not found] <mailman.1.1257073202.19114.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-11-01 13:11 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-11-01 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 01.11.2009 13:00, ntg-context-request@ntg.nl wrote:
> If there is no suitable letter in Unicode you may:
> - try to use Unicode accent combining characters and complain if it doesn't work
> - this used to work not so long ago (well, during BachoTeX Hans has
> fixed it), but the second example behaves weird again:
>      \buildtextaccent\textcircumflex{y}
>      \buildtextaccent\textcircumflex{\schwa}
> so try with your letters and report if you stumble into problems problems.

Thanks. But before i try something weird, i want to explain. I need an
accent to indicate where pronunciation stress is. Is happens on Cyrillic
"а" letter:

Апроксимація (approximation)

So my goal is not to form a special letter, but to show a linguistic
feature of the word.
Maybe we have better way to do this?

Regards,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: How to make an accent
@ 2009-11-01 13:42   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-01 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 14:11, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> On 01.11.2009 13:00, ntg-context-request@ntg.nl wrote:
>>
>> If there is no suitable letter in Unicode you may:
>> - try to use Unicode accent combining characters and complain if it
>> doesn't work
>> - this used to work not so long ago (well, during BachoTeX Hans has
>> fixed it), but the second example behaves weird again:
>>     \buildtextaccent\textcircumflex{y}
>>     \buildtextaccent\textcircumflex{\schwa}
>> so try with your letters and report if you stumble into problems problems.
>>

> Thanks. But before i try something weird, i want to explain. I need an
> accent to indicate where pronunciation stress is. Is happens on Cyrillic "а"
> letter:
>
> Апроксимація (approximation)
>
> So my goal is not to form a special letter, but to show a linguistic feature
> of the word.
> Maybe we have better way to do this?

1. you can do
    \def\myacute#1{\buildtextaccent\textacute{#1}}
    Апроксим{\myacute а}ція

2. of course you can also define an ugly shortcut:
    \catcode`'=\active
    \let\'=\myacute
    Апроксим\'ація

3. though in reality I would be most grateful if
    \'а
would work out of the box (at least it mkiv) and generate accent over
whatever letter comes next. If glyph doesn't exist, it could just
place one over a.

Mojca

* \placefigure setups
       [not found] <mailman.1.1257073202.19114.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-11-01 14:23 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-11-01 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

Sorry for another newbie question, but how can I setup \placefigure so
that its caption appeared as "Рис. 1.1"?
That is, with "Рис." prefix and numbered by subsection?

Best regards,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: How to make an accent
       [not found] <mailman.1.1257073202.19114.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-11-01 14:31 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-11-01 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> 1. you can do
> \def\myacute#1{\buildtextaccent\textacute{#1}}
> Апроксим{\myacute а}ція
>
> 2. of course you can also define an ugly shortcut:
> \catcode`'=\active
> \let\'=\myacute
> Апроксим\'ація
>
> 3. though in reality I would be most grateful if
> \'а
> would work out of the box (at least it mkiv) and generate accent over
> whatever letter comes next. If glyph doesn't exist, it could just
> place one over a.

Thank you, Mojca. (1) works fine.

Before asking, I tried (3) option, but failed. Why it doesn't work? This
is the classic way.

Regards,
Vyatcheslav

* Why formulas have space before but don't have space after
       [not found] <mailman.1.1257073202.19114.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-01 15:02 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-11-01 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello everyone again,

There is a problem I encounter every time I use math and which drives me
mad. Why formulas have space before but don't have space after? What is
the most elegant way to dial with it?

In the following example, the expression is glued to the text that
follows (which is certanly unwanted):

Допустимо нам поставлена задача з'єднати три точки на площині, що не
лежать на одній прямій. Найпростішим рішенням такої задачі буде з'єднати
послідовно дані точки відрізками прямих ліній, причому крива, при такому
рішенні, буде апроксимуватися ламаною лінією. Рівняння прямих, що
приходять через дві задані точки, як відомо, мають вигляд:

$$(х−х_1)/(х_2−х_1)=(у−у1)/у2−у1),$$

де (х1, у1), (х2, у2) -- декартові координати першої і другої точок,
відповідно.

Best regards,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: Why formulas have space before but don't have space after
@ 2009-11-01 15:17   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-01 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello everyone again,
>
> There is a problem I encounter every time I use math and which drives me
> mad. Why formulas have space before but don't have space after? What is
> the most elegant way to dial with it?
>
> In the following example, the expression is glued to the text that
> follows (which is certanly unwanted):
>
> Допустимо нам поставлена задача з'єднати три точки на площині, що не
> лежать на одній прямій. Найпростішим рішенням такої задачі буде з'єднати
> послідовно дані точки відрізками прямих ліній, причому крива, при такому
> рішенні, буде апроксимуватися ламаною лінією. Рівняння прямих, що
> приходять через дві задані точки, як відомо, мають вигляд:
>
> $$(х−х_1)/(х_2−х_1)=(у−у1)/у2−у1),$$
>
> де (х1, у1), (х2, у2) -- декартові координати першої і другої точок,
> відповідно.

\startformula(х−х_1)/(х_2−х_1)=(у−у1)/у2−у1),\stopformula

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: How to make an accent
@ 2009-11-01 15:33   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-01 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 15:31, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
>> 1. you can do
>> \def\myacute#1{\buildtextaccent\textacute{#1}}
>> Апроксим{\myacute а}ція
>>
>> 2. of course you can also define an ugly shortcut:
>> \catcode`'=\active
>> \let\'=\myacute
>> Апроксим\'ація
>>
>> 3. though in reality I would be most grateful if
>> \'а
>> would work out of the box (at least it mkiv) and generate accent over
>> whatever letter comes next. If glyph doesn't exist, it could just
>> place one over a.
>
> Thank you, Mojca. (1) works fine.
>
> Before asking, I tried (3) option, but failed. Why it doesn't work? This is
> the classic way.

Not sure, but if that letter exists in unicode and not in your font
... that might be the most probably cause. If not, read further.

In mkii it has never worked since Hans reimplemented the mechanism (it
was different from Knuth's) to enable choosing the right glyph - if
font encoding has some glyph, it comes from the font, else it gets
composed from accent and letter.

Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I remember you only get those
characters that indeed exist in Unicode and the whole set of allowed
combinations is defined somewhere in source (see enco-def.mkii). I
don't know what exactly needs to be done in mkiv.

In mkii it will never get changed; I don't remember too many
complaints, but the truth is that (all) the characters that people
need are usually covered. If any were missing, they were added to the
list.

4.) I indeed forgot the fourth option: you can also build a slightly
larger file with all letter-accent combinations that you possibly
need.

I would assume that mkiv just builds all the accent combinations (to
support "\v c" constructs) from Unicode specification. If you need
some special character with a special accent like those definitions in
enco-def.mkii ... then you need to ask someone else for mkiv since I
stayed behind of a time for quite a giant leap.

(Hans, why cannot I put any accent on \schwa any more?)

Mojca

* Re: \placefigure setups
@ 2009-11-01 15:39   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-11-01 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.11.2009 um 15:23 schrieb Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for another newbie question, but how can I setup \placefigure
> so that its caption appeared as "Рис. 1.1"?
> That is, with "Рис." prefix and numbered by subsection?

\setuplabeltext[ru][figure=Рис. ]

Wolfgang

* Re: answers (cumulative reply :)
       [not found] <mailman.1.1257073202.19114.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-01 17:08 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-11-01 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thank you, friends, for answers.

To Hahns:
Can I make $$ envinroment behave like \startformula? In other words, to
redefine $$ to be substituted by \start-stop formula? Writing
\startformula and \stopformula every time is too verbose.

To Mojca:
OK, the current solution works for me. Don't want to complicate it
further, just want to point out that Knuth compatibility is broken :)

To Wolfgang:
\setuplabeltext[ua][figure=Рис. ] works fine indeed. But how to make it
numbered by subsection?

Thanks again
Vyatcheslav

* Drawing interpolation curve in MP
       [not found] <mailman.1.1257073202.19114.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-01 17:10 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-11-01 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I have a crazy idea: can I draw 2nd order curve in metapost, provided
that I know coordinates of 3 points: begin, center, end? And place
markers onto those points.

Regards,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: answers (cumulative reply :)
@ 2009-11-01 17:39   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-01 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 18:08, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Thank you, friends, for answers.
>
> To Mojca:
> OK, the current solution works for me. Don't want to complicate it further,
> just want to point out that Knuth compatibility is broken :)

I don't think so. You probably didn't get any output at all for that
character, right?

Knuth's 7-bit TeX doesn't support Cyrillic at all, so you probably get
no output either which makes it 100% compatible with what you get.

Mojca

* Re: Drawing interpolation curve in MP
@ 2009-11-01 17:51   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-11-01 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a crazy idea: can I draw 2nd order curve in metapost, provided

No, metapost does third-order curves.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: answers (cumulative reply :)
@ 2009-11-01 18:05   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-01 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Thank you, friends, for answers.
>
> To Hahns:
> Can I make $$ envinroment behave like \startformula? In other words, to

no

> redefine $$ to be substituted by \start-stop formula? Writing
> \startformula and \stopformula every time is too verbose.

well, time spent on markup is often way less that getting the content so

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: How to make an accent
@ 2009-11-02 20:27     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2009-11-02 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Not sure, but if that letter exists in unicode and not in your font

  No, the letter doesn't exist at all in Unicode, and most likely won't be
encoded in the future either, due to the rule known as "normalization
stability".  Generally speaking, you have to input it as Cyrillic a followed by
combining acute accent, from the Unicode point of view.  Inside TeX, you should
of course build it with an accent macro.

	Arthur