* Streams
@ 2008-04-11  9:45 Roman Sigg
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Roman Sigg @ 2008-04-11  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello

For a publication project in phonetics and dialectology I'd like to
print the phonetic transcription and the dialect text in a two column
setup. I would be interested to use context for that (more
flexibility than LaTeX), but every new paragraph is printed on a new
page (as Henning Hraban Ramm posted earlier). Is there a work around
other than using two pages?

Thanks,
Roman

Universität Zürich
Phonogrammarchiv
Roman Sigg
Rämistr. 71
8006 Zürich

Fon +41 44 634 39 90
Fax +41 44 634 49 68
rosigg@access.uzh.ch

http://www.phonogrammarchiv.uzh.ch

* Re: Streams
@ 2008-04-11 20:05 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-11 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-11 um 11:45 schrieb Roman Sigg:
> For a publication project in phonetics and dialectology I'd like to
> print the phonetic transcription and the dialect text in a two column
> setup. I would be interested to use context for that (more
> flexibility than LaTeX), but every new paragraph is printed on a new
> page (as Henning Hraban Ramm posted earlier). Is there a work around
> other than using two pages?

It doesn't seem possible - only if you control page/column breaks
manually.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Streams
@ 2008-04-12  5:08 ` Bert Trüger
From: Bert Trüger @ 2008-04-12  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/11/08, Roman Sigg <rosigg@access.uzh.ch> wrote:

> Hello
>
> For a publication project in phonetics and dialectology I'd like to
> print the phonetic transcription and the dialect text in a two column
> setup. I would be interested to use context for that (more
> flexibility than LaTeX), but every new paragraph is printed on a new
> page (as Henning Hraban Ramm posted earlier). Is there a work around
> other than using two pages?
>
> Thanks,
> Roman
>
> Universität Zürich
> Phonogrammarchiv
> Roman Sigg
> Rämistr. 71
> 8006 Zürich
>
> Fon +41 44 634 39 90
> Fax +41 44 634 49 68
> rosigg@access.uzh.ch
>
> http://www.phonogrammarchiv.uzh.ch

Hi,

perhaps the streams module can help you? I use it to set texts and
theirs translations on
facing pages. You can find an example below. (It came over this list a while
ago.)

Kind regards

Chris

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\usemodule[streams]

\def\StartCouple{\page\SwitchToNormal}
\def\StopCouple {\SwitchToNormal \SynchronizeLeftAndRight
\FlushLeftAndRight}
\def\Original {\SwitchToNormal\SynchronizeLeftAndRight\SwitchToLeft}
\def\Translation{\SwitchToRight}

%%So you put the part of your document where synchronization should
%%take place between \StartCouple and \StopCouple. After that ,
%%\Original and \Translation switches between even and odd pages.
\starttext

\scale[width=\textwidth,height=\textheight,factor=fit]{\ss m-streams}
\page

\StartCouple

\Original
this is an original text \crlf
\input knuth
%\blank[1cm]

\Translation
THIS IS THE TRANSLATION \crlf
\input tufte

\Original
\ss this is an original text \crlf
\input knuth

\Translation
\ss THIS IS THE TRANSLATION \crlf
\input tufte

\StopCouple

\stoptext

* Re: Streams
@ 2008-04-12 22:02 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-12 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Roman Sigg <rosigg@access.uzh.ch> wrote:
> Hello
>
>  For a publication project in phonetics and dialectology I'd like to
>  print the phonetic transcription and the dialect text in a two column
>  setup. I would be interested to use context for that (more
>  flexibility than LaTeX), but every new paragraph is printed on a new
>  page (as Henning Hraban Ramm posted earlier). Is there a work around
>  other than using two pages?

see streams startting at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns#Column_Sets

--
luigi
it's new .

* Re: Streams
@ 2008-04-13 18:28   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-13 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> perhaps the streams module can help you?

> see streams startting at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns#Column_Sets

Luigi, Bert, you both completely miss that the OP already tried to
use streams (see subject!) and can't achieve what he needs, i.e.
streams in columns.
That's simply not possible to get "automatically" (i.e. without
manual breaking) with today's ConTeXt.

@ 2011-11-23 22:09   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-11-23 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

thank you for your answer!
Aha, mkiv does not need the module.
So I tried first the example en then used my actual document. - It runs through indeed!

Now there is still the question whether it is possible to place e.g. on the left page German text and in parallel on the right page Dutch text?

Have a nice evening!

Willi

On 23 Nov 2011, at 20:43, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 23.11.2011 um 20:31 schrieb Willi Egger:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was looking for a possibility to typeset an article left in the original language and right in the translation.I found then the mail of Thomas, when he announced the availability of streams (2006). - Great, that is what I am looking for!
>>
>> However when issuing \usemodule[streams] I get immediately a fatal error: undefined controlsequence. I believe is \defineoutputstream.
>>
>> So it looks like the module is broken. - Is there another approach to get two texts in different languages next to each other?
>
> You don’t need the mode for MkIV. Below is a example copied from the source:
>
> % \enabletrackers[streams.flushing]
> %
> % \setuplayout[grid=yes] \showgrid
> %
> % \starttext
> %
> % \input tufte
> %
> % \startoutputstream[nl]
> %
> % Wat doen we hier?
> %
> % \enableoutputstream[en]
> %
> % Are you sleeping, brother John?\footnote{xxx}
> %
> % \dorecurse{4}{x \footnote{note \recurselevel}\input tufte \par \pushoutputstream}
> %
> % \enableoutputstream[de]
> %
> % Bruder Jakob, schläfst du noch?\footnote{yyy}
> %
> % \dorecurse{4}{x \footnote{note \recurselevel}\input ward \par \pushoutputstream}
> %
> % \disableoutputstream
> %
> % \stopoutputstream
> %
> % Vader Jacob, slaap je nog?\footnote{zzz}
> %
> % \input tufte
> %
> % \synchronizestreams[en,de,nl]
> %
> % \page \flushoutputstream[en] \input knuth
> % \page \flushoutputstream[de] \input knuth
> % \page \flushoutputstream[nl] \input knuth
> %
> % \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Streams
@ 2011-11-23 19:43 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-23 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-11-23 19:31 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-11-23 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-Context ConTeXt users

Hi,

I was looking for a possibility to typeset an article left in the original language and right in the translation.I found then the mail of Thomas, when he announced the availability of streams (2006). - Great, that is what I am looking for!

However when issuing \usemodule[streams] I get immediately a fatal error: undefined controlsequence. I believe is \defineoutputstream.

So it looks like the module is broken. - Is there another approach to get two texts in different languages next to each other?

Kind regards

Willi

* Re: streams
@ 2010-03-13 12:20     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-13 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-3-2010 23:43, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> Good evening, Hans!
>

> On 2010-03-11<19:37:48>, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 11-3-2010 11:47, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>

>>> the streams module could help typesetting my current work but all the
>>> examples fail in mkiv.  (The output from mkii is impressive, though.)
>>>
>>> The snippets I tried are from the comments of
>>> http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/m-streams.tex
>>> and another one from the wiki
>>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns#Streams
>>>
>>> Here are the ConTeXt error messages, seems that \FlushLeftAndRight is
>>> the culprit but I don't really know where to start looking because the
>>> command sequences are not legible in this truncated form.  (Is there
>>> some switch that prevents ConTeXt from shortening the names at least in
>>> the log file?)
>>
>> i've fixed that bug but streams wll be redone inb mkiv from scratch anyway
>
> Are you sure this worked for you?  I  get another error with today's
> beta:

you need to remove the \endinput which i added as i'm playing with a new
implementation and don't want conflicting code

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: streams
@ 2010-03-12 22:43   ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-12 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening, Hans!

On 2010-03-11 <19:37:48>, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 11-3-2010 11:47, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> >Hello all,
> >

> >the streams module could help typesetting my current work but all the
> >examples fail in mkiv.  (The output from mkii is impressive, though.)
> >
> >The snippets I tried are from the comments of
> >http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/m-streams.tex
> >and another one from the wiki
> >http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns#Streams
> >
> >Here are the ConTeXt error messages, seems that \FlushLeftAndRight is
> >the culprit but I don't really know where to start looking because the
> >command sequences are not legible in this truncated form.  (Is there
> >some switch that prevents ConTeXt from shortening the names at least in
> >the log file?)
>
> i've fixed that bug but streams wll be redone inb mkiv from scratch anyway

Are you sure this worked for you?  I  get another error with today's
beta:

---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------
! Undefined control sequence.
l.19 \defineoutputstream
                         [\v!left]
?
---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------

\defineoutputstream is declared in page-str.mkiv, though.

Philipp

> Hans

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: streams
@ 2010-03-11 18:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-11 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11-3-2010 11:47, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> the streams module could help typesetting my current work but all the
> examples fail in mkiv.  (The output from mkii is impressive, though.)
>
> The snippets I tried are from the comments of
> http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/m-streams.tex
> and another one from the wiki
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns#Streams
>
> Here are the ConTeXt error messages, seems that \FlushLeftAndRight is
> the culprit but I don't really know where to start looking because the
> command sequences are not legible in this truncated form.  (Is there
> some switch that prevents ConTeXt from shortening the names at least in
> the log file?)

i've fixed that bug but streams wll be redone inb mkiv from scratch anyway

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* streams
@ 2010-03-11 10:47 Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-11 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello all,

the streams module could help typesetting my current work but all the
examples fail in mkiv.  (The output from mkii is impressive, though.)

The snippets I tried are from the comments of
http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/m-streams.tex
and another one from the wiki
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns#Streams

Here are the ConTeXt error messages, seems that \FlushLeftAndRight is
the culprit but I don't really know where to start looking because the
command sequences are not legible in this truncated form.  (Is there
some switch that prevents ConTeXt from shortening the names at least in
the log file?)

-8<----------------------------------------------------------------------------
! Undefined control sequence.
\checkedfullsplitfirstmarks ...litfirstmarknumber
                                                  #1\else \normalsplitfirstm...
\fetchmark ...sname \??mk \??mk #3\endcsname {#1}}
                                                  \fi \fi
\erasemarknotes ...fetchmark [mn:#1][column:first]
                                                  }\edef \lastmarknote {0\fe...
\flushoutputstreams ...:\firstoutputstream :reset}
                                                  \directsetup {stream:\seco...
\@@ar@@1 ...lushoutputstreams [\v!left ,\v!right ]
                                                  \ifvoid \outputstreamtag \...
\redoloop ->\expandrecursecontent
                                  \endofloop
l.20 \FlushLeftAndRight

?
! Emergency stop.
\checkedfullsplitfirstmarks ...litfirstmarknumber
                                                  #1\else \normalsplitfirstm...
\fetchmark ...sname \??mk \??mk #3\endcsname {#1}}
                                                  \fi \fi
\erasemarknotes ...fetchmark [mn:#1][column:first]
                                                  }\edef \lastmarknote {0\fe...
\flushoutputstreams ...:\firstoutputstream :reset}
                                                  \directsetup {stream:\seco...
\@@ar@@1 ...lushoutputstreams [\v!left ,\v!right ]
                                                  \ifvoid \outputstreamtag \...
\redoloop ->\expandrecursecontent
                                  \endofloop
l.20 \FlushLeftAndRight

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!MTXrun | fatal error: return code: 1

-8<----------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ 2007-03-07 19:43 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-03-07 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone have one or more samples using the m-stream module? If so, I'd
greatly appreciate it if you'ld share it/them with me!

(trying to model some issues related to parallel texts...)

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid