* column woes
@ 2003-02-05  2:53 Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-02-05  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear cell,

Here is a table that works in pdfetex mode, but not Plain mode (I hope
it survives transmission!). Again, the problem appears to be non-fatal,
but very irritating:

=====================
\bgroup
\tfx\setupinterlinespace
%\switchtobodyfont[10pt]
\placetable
[here][tab:cognition]{The three types of cognition.}
\starttable[|l|l|l|l|]
\HL

\VL \emph{mode of}    \VL  \emph{locus of}   \VL \emph{objects
of}        \VL \emph{ontological}    \VL\FR

\VL \emph{cognition}   \VL   \emph{cognition} \VL
\emph{cognition}         \VL \emph{rank of}        \VL\NR

\VL                               \VL
\VL                          \VL \emph{objects of}     \VL\NR

\VL                               \VL
\VL                          \VL \emph{cognition}      \VL\LR

\HL

\VL  knowledge            \VL   bosom           \VL   forms
or               \VL  the universal        \VL\FR

\VL                               \VL                   \VL
images                 \VL  soul                 \VL\LR

\HL

\VL  certainty                \VL   heart           \VL
meanings/              \VL  the universal        \VL\FR

\VL                               \VL                   \VL
intelligibles          \VL  nous                 \VL\LR

\HL

\VL  cognizance            \VL   heart-flux      \VL   light
of               \VL  existence \emph{qua} \VL\FR

\VL                               \VL                   \VL
cognizance             \VL  negatively           \VL\NR

\VL                               \VL
\VL                          \VL  conditioned          \VL\LR

\HL
\stoptable
\egroup

=====================

and the error:

=====================
! Illegal parameter number in definition of \convertedargument.
<to be read again>
                   \tabskip
<argument> ##\tabskip
                      \LeftTabskip & \hfil \startglobalTABLEcolor \vrule
\!t...

\convertargument ...ng \def \convertedargument {#1
                                                  }\dodoglobal \edef
#2{\con...

\getTABLEnofcolumns ...nvertargument #1\to \ascii
                                                  \@EA \doglobal \@EA
\count...

\!ttDoHalign ...LEnofcolumns {\the \!taPreamble }}
                                                  \halign \the
\!taTableSpre...

\restartTABLE ...pareTABLEsplitting \restartTABLE
                                                  \TABLEhead
l.10 \starttable[|l|l|l|l|]

?
=====================

Idris

* Re: column woes
@ 2003-02-08 17:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-08 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 07:53 PM 2/4/2003 -0700, Idris S Hamid wrote:
>bgroup
>\tfx\setupinterlinespace
>%\switchtobodyfont[10pt]
>\placetable
>[here][tab:cognition]{The three types of cognition.}
>\starttable[|l|l|l|l|]

cleaner:

\startbuffer
\starttable[|l|l|l|l|]
\VL knowledge \VL bosom \VL forms or \VL  the universal \VL\SR
\stoptable
\stopbuffer

\placetable
   [here][tab:cognition]{The three types of cognition.}
   {\switchtobodyfont[10pt]\getbuffer}

this way you can also scale a table:

\externalfigure[buffer][...]

Your problem is related to parsing the preamble with ##'s.

Of course I should start rewriting table because ...

Anyhow, here's a patch you can try (goes into cont-new)

please test this (i must have had a reason for parsing the preamble instead
of the template)

\unprotect

\def\thirdstagestartTABLE#1%
   {\global\setTABLEactiontrue
    \setTABLEaction\TABLEunknown
    \setTABLEforce\TABLEunknown
    \setTABLEerror\TABLEunknown
    \global\TABLEgraylinefalse
    \global\TABLEgraydonefalse
    \globalletempty\TABLEgrayline
    \globalletempty\nextTABLEgrayline
    \globalletempty\TABLEgraylineerror
    \globalletempty\TABLEgraylinestatus
    \resetVLvalues
    \appendtoks\popouterbarandquote\to\EveryTable
    \appendtoks\localTABLEsetup\to\EveryTable
    \BeginTable[\ifsplittables u\else b\fi]%
    \defineTABLEunits
    \defineTABLEsteps
    \defineTABLErules
    \defineTABLEdivisions
    \defineTABLEshorthands
    \defineTABLEbackgrounds
    \defineTABLEendings
    \forgetall % added
    \doifsomething{#1}
      {\def\TABLEformat{#1}%
       \getTABLEnofcolumns\TABLEformat
       \expandafter\BeginFormat\TABLEformat\EndFormat}}

\def\!ttDoHalign
   {\baselineskip \zeropoint
    \lineskiplimit\zeropoint
    \lineskip     \zeropoint
    \tabskip      \zeropoint
   %\expanded{\getTABLEnofcolumns{\the\!taPreamble}}% added
    \halign \the\!taTableSpread \bgroup
    \span\the\!taPreamble
    \ifx \!tfRowOfWidths \empty \else \!tfRowOfWidths \cr \fi}

\bgroup
\catcode`\|=\@@other
\gdef\getTABLEnofcolumns#1%
   {\bgroup
    \cleanupfeatures
    \expanded{\convertargument#1}\to\ascii
    \@EA\doglobal\@EA\counttoken\@EA|\@EA\in\ascii\to\maxTABLEcolumn
    \global\advance\maxTABLEcolumn \minusone
    \egroup}
\egroup

\starttext

\startbuffer
\definetabletemplate[xx][|l|l|l|l|]
\starttable[xx]% %[|l|l|l|l|]
\VL knowledge \VL bosom \VL forms or \VL  the universal \VL\SR
\stoptable
\stopbuffer

\placetable
   [here][tab:cognition]{The three types of cognition.}
   {\switchtobodyfont[10pt]\getbuffer}

\stoptext

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: column woes
@ 2003-02-09 22:39   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-02-09 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> please test this (i must have had a reason for parsing the preamble instead
> of the template)

I did three tests (perhaps I am not placing the patch in the right
place):

I.  In pdfetex: if I place the patch at the end of cont-new OR in the
preamble
of the test file I get
=================
! Missing \cr inserted.
<inserted text>
                \cr
<to be read again>
                   }
l.64    {\switchtobodyfont[10pt]\getbuffer}

?
=================

II. In Gamma (Omega1.15): if I place the patch at the end of cont-new I
get
=================
! Illegal parameter number in definition of \ascii.
<to be read again>
                   \tabskip
<argument> ##\tabskip
                      \LeftTabskip & \hfil \startglobalTABLEcolor \vrule
\!t...

\convertargument #1\to #2->\long \def #2{#1
                                           }\dodoglobal \edef
#2{\convertedc...

\getTABLEnofcolumns ...nvertargument #1\to \ascii
                                                  \@EA \doglobal \@EA
\count...

\!ttDoHalign ...LEnofcolumns {\the \!taPreamble }}
                                                  \halign \the
\!taTableSpre...

\restartTABLE ...pareTABLEsplitting \restartTABLE
                                                  \TABLEhead
l.2 \starttable[xx]
                   % %[|l|l|l|l|]
?
=================

III. In Gamma (Omega1.15): if I place the patch in the preamble to the
test
file I get

! Missing \cr inserted.
<inserted text>
                \cr
<to be read again>
                   }

================

#2{\convertedc...

\getTABLEnofcolumns ...nvertargument #1\to \ascii
                                                  \@EA \doglobal \@EA
\count...

\!ttDoHalign ...LEnofcolumns {\the \!taPreamble }}
                                                  \halign \the
\!taTableSpre...

\restartTABLE ...pareTABLEsplitting \restartTABLE
                                                  \TABLEhead
l.2 \starttable[xx]
?

Thanx for all of your help. I look forward to the next round of

Best
Idris