From: Idris S Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: disappearing headers
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:24:55 -0700	[thread overview]

Headers are driving me crazy;-)

Consider the test file at the end of this mail: It is designed so that every new
chapter (\title since journal articles need no numbering) begins on an odd page.
I tried localizing the headers with \start and \stop. Here is what happens

1. On page five (odd, last page of Test~1) we are still in chapter Test~1, yet
the heading for Test~2 appears;
2. The blank page before the beginning of Chapter Test~2 has a heading and a
footer. How can I automatically make it completely empty of header and footer (I
know about \noheaderandfooterlines but I have had no luck positioning it just
right to get the effect I want);
3. On page ten (even, last page of Test~2), the heading reads Author~3, when it
should read Author~2.

How do I get things right here? I'm truly desperate on this one. I found clever
(or clunky) workarounds to some of my other problems (I processed my tables in
pdfetex and turned them into eps files for the Gamma run, for instance) but this
one is really driving me bats.

While I would still like to fix the original problem in Gamma where the global
setting of

\setupheadertexts%
[][title][\Author][]%
\setupheader[style=\sc,state=high]

makes the title disappear, even the global setting in pdfetex creates similar
problems. Problem~1
disappears but problems 2 & 3 remain.

Please help!

Best
Idris

======================
\setuphead[title][numberstyle=normal,
                    style=\scb,
                    alternative=middle,
                    page=right,
                    number=no,
                    ownnumber=no,
                    incrementnumber=yes,
                    continue=no,
                    header=high,
                    text=high,
                    footer=empt%
                    ]

\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,
                    location={footer,marginedge}]

%\setupheadertexts%                        % uncomment
%[][title][\Author][]%                       % for global version
%\setupheader[style=\sc,state=high] % title will disappear
%                                                     % in Plain

\starttext

\start
\setupheadertexts%
[]%
[Test 1]
[Author 1]%
[]%

\def\Author{Author 1}

\title{Test 1}

\dorecurse{10}{\input tufte \input knuth \par}

\stop

\start
\setupheadertexts%
[]%
[Test 2]
[Author 2]%
[]%

\def\Author{Author 2}

\title{Test 2}

\dorecurse{7}{\input tufte \input knuth \par}

\stop

\start
\setupheadertexts%
[]%
[Test 3]
[Author 3]%
[]%

\def\Author{Author 3}

\title{Test 3}

\dorecurse{7}{\input tufte \input knuth \par}

\stop

\stoptext