* Chinese text failed to flow around pictures
@ 2003-02-19 20:19 Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-19 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

when I tried:

\placefigure
 [right]
 {Some picture}
 {\externalfigure[temp][type=jpg,width=5cm]}
Blah blah ... % These should be pure Chinese characters.

In the generated Chinese PDF file, the paragraph right after the figure
just runs over the picture like it were not there. But if I append some
English words before Chinese, everything would be fine.
And \startfiguretext[left] works as expected. Any ideas?

Guo

* Re: Chinese text failed to flow around pictures
@ 2003-02-19 20:39 ` Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-19 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I actually had the blank line after the \placefigure command.  With \par
it doesn't  work either.

@ 2003-02-19 21:23 ` Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-19 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-02-22 14:51   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-22 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:39 PM 2/19/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I actually had the blank line after the \placefigure command.  With \par
>it doesn't  work either.
>
>Guo Yang wrote:
>
>>when I tried:
>>
>>\placefigure
>>[right]
>>{Some picture}
>>{\externalfigure[temp][type=jpg,width=5cm]}
>>Blah blah ... % These should be pure Chinese characters.
>>
>>In the generated Chinese PDF file, the paragraph right after the figure
>>just runs over the picture like it were not there. But if I append some
>>English words before Chinese, everything would be fine.
>>And \startfiguretext[left] works as expected. Any ideas?

this is the 'par starts with a command using grouping' side effect
(something tex), \noindent, \indent, \dontleavehmode are good escapes; we
may consider to add \dontleavehmode to the chinese symbol handler.

Hans

* Re: Chinese text failed to flow around pictures
@ 2003-02-22 17:21     ` Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-22 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Hans. I will try it later. I was thinking to put something
invisible before the Chinese characters but nothing came up to my mind
because I just started to learn TeX, LaTeX and ConTeXt. I also want to
apologize for sending out an empty mail to the group inadvertently.

Guo

@ 2003-02-22 17:45     ` Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-22 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just tested all the commands. \noindent and \indent worked as
expected. But \dontleavehmode doesn't work. I tried to put it behind the
\placefigure or right before the paragraph but neither worked.

Guo