* \framed and \starttabulate
@ 2003-03-19  1:37 Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2003-03-19  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

I wanted to use
        \framed
            {\starttabulate ... \stoptabulate }

but when I tried it, TeX complained about groupings and missing
parentheses.  Is there a way to make this work?  I switched to \bTABLE,
and that worked,  but \starttabulate is more convenient sometimes.

Thanks

Matt

* Re: \framed and \starttabulate
@ 2003-03-19  7:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-19  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:37 AM 3/19/2003 +0900, you wrote:
>Hi:
>
>I wanted to use
>        \framed
>            {\starttabulate ... \stoptabulate }
>
>but when I tried it, TeX complained about groupings and missing
>parentheses.  Is there a way to make this work?  I switched to \bTABLE,
>and that worked,  but \starttabulate is more convenient sometimes.

a \framed by default makes a so called hbox, and this conflicts with
tabulate's halign; the resulting message comes deep down in tex and is one
of the most confusing ones; it should be interpreted as: you are doing
something complicated vertical in horizontal mode

Solution: force \framed to be a vbox, by setting the width/height or
setting the align key to some value

\starttext

% unreadable (watch how we nil the strut, try it with \showstruts)

\framed[align=normal,strut=no]
   {\starttabulate
    \NC test \NC test \NC \NR
    \stoptabulate}

% more convenient (kind of startframedtext, but more tuned to this kind of
usage)

\defineframedcontent[mine][offset=3pt]

test

\startframedcontent[mine]
\starttabulate[|l|l|]
\NC test \NC test \NC \NR
\stoptabulate
\stopframedcontent

test

\stoptext

Also, compare this (spacing) with:

\defineframedcontent[mine][offset=3pt,linecorrection=yes]

test

\startframedcontent[mine]
\starttabulate[|l|l|]
\NC test \NC test \NC \NR
\stoptabulate
\stopframedcontent

test

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: \framed and \starttabulate
@ 2003-03-19 14:11   ` Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2003-03-19 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans:

Thanks for such a detailed answer.  I think all novice users really
appreciate this kind of response.

Best wishes,
Matthew