* placing an accent
@ 2003-04-17 15:35 Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-04-17 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

A bug or feature?

\t oo

does not work in ConTeXt! `\t' is undefined.

Anyway, I need something else. I want to place an accent midway over two
letters. I looked at page 356 of the TeXBook for ideas but I can't seem
to get things right. I want to place an extended tilda
(\textfont3\accent"65 in Plain TeX) over the character pair `al'. I need
a macro like

\t{al}

that places this character exactly midway over the `al', or any other
pair of characters. The procedure analogous to the one Knuth uses for \t

\def\t#1{{\edef\next{\the\font}\the\textfont3\accent"65\next#1}}

does not work here.

Aside: Can TeX be tricked into reading the ahead two characters so I can
write

\t al ?

I realize that Knuth's \t does not really do this but takes a character
from an italic font to give the illusion that it does.

Thnx 4 your help
Idris

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-04-17 15:35 UTC | newest]