* definetypeface usage
@ 2004-07-05 11:48 dr. Hans van der Meer
From: dr. Hans van der Meer @ 2004-07-05 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trying to findout how ConTeXt's font mechanism works, I come to
following question:

 From the brochure "Fonts in Context" (mfonts.pdf) I have picked up the
notion that exercising a call to \definetypeface gets fonts in working
order (see the examples there on font specifiers "funny" and "whow",
for example, and the resulting typeface collection).
Also in file type-exa.tex there is a typescript [postscript] where
\definetypeface is exercised, seemingly to bring a matched series of
times, helvetica and courier into existence.
However, the usage of the postscript fonts via \setupbodyfont[pos]
seems to be completely unconnected with this script (I traced the
typescript checking). Neither can I find somany calls to
\definetypeface (and its derivatives \dodefinetypeface and
\dododefinetypeface); it seems they are barely used in the code.
So, the questions are:
- Does \setupbodyfont[pos] results in the scaled font set as given in
type-exa?
- Or does \definetypeface belong to an alternative/obsolete font
definition scheme, totally unrelated to the definitions called up in
the scripts in type-pre.tex, type-syn.tex, and other friends?
- In preparing font scripts, can I therefore totally ignore
\definetypeface or will that be disastrous for the result?

If somebody would be so kind to enlighten me...
Hans van der Meer

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-07-05 11:48 UTC | newest]