* Aligned numbered math formulas
@ 2003-08-14  7:54 Holger Schöner
From: Holger Schöner @ 2003-08-14  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

For a publication I need to typeset a lot of math formulas. To make them
as comprehensible as possible, I need a few specialties, and would
appreciate any suggestions you can provide:

1) Some of the formulas should be numbered, some not; and at the same time
I would like to align several of them.

For alignment I seem to be able to use \eqalign (or \startalign ...
\stopalign from the t-amsl.tex sent around here lately). But if I place a
\placeformula in front of this, the whole aligned block only gets one
number; I would need a number for every line (or even better: a possibility
to state, which lines should be numbered, and which not).

By looking into core-mat.tex I found the commands \formulanumber and
\subformulanumber which I can add after each line, if I want it to be
numbered. Unfortunately they only set numbers, if the whole aligned block
also is numbered (by using \placeformula), and they furthermore do not put
the number beside the right margin, as is done by \placeformula, but
directly where the \formulanumber appears.

How can I enable the numbers even when not using \placeformula (or when
using \placeformula[-]), and how can it put the numbers next to the right
margin?

2) What are the keywords "alternative" and "indentnext" in \setupformulae
meant for? Is there any documentation available concerning math formulae,
besides "ConTeXt, the manual"?

3) I'd like to be able to set more than one line below large math operators,
e.g. something like \sum_{m: \\ 1 \leq m \leq M}. Unfortunately this does
not work as expected (it seems to conflict with the \startalign block). Is
there another possibility?

4) Using the alignment features (\eqalign or \startalign, \stopalign) I
often have the problem, that the (quite space consuming) formulas all appear
on the next page, separated from its introductory text. I would like to have
either also the introductory text put onto the next page (but neither
\page[no] between text and formulas, nor \page[preference] before the
introductory text work), or alternatively, to be able to (automatically)
break the formulas inside the alignment block (whether alignment is kept
up or not between pages does not matter for me). Is there a solution for
either way?

I am using:
----------
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20011114-ojmw-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.7)
[...]
ConTeXt  ver: 2003.2.11  fmt: 2003.4.4  int: english  mes: english
----------

--
Holger F. Schoener	TU Berlin; Dept. IV: EE and Computer Science
hfsch@cs.tu-berlin.de	http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~hfsch/

* Re: Aligned numbered math formulas
@ 2003-08-14 19:23       ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-08-14 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, David Arnold wrote:
> Is there a setup that will typeset the labels as (1.1) and (1.1a)?
Not that I'm aware of, but I use \informula[foo] with

\def\informula#1{(\in[#1])}

Tobias

* Re: Aligned numbered math formulas
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0308142045430.29014-100000@g24.physik.fu-ber lin.de>
@ 2003-08-14 18:56     ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2003-08-14 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias,

Very nice.

@ 2003-08-14 18:49   ` Tobias Burnus
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0308142045430.29014-100000@g24.physik.fu-ber lin.de>
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-08-14 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.44.0308141619300.4463-100000@dunedain.cs.tu-ber lin.de>
@ 2003-08-14 18:22 ` David Arnold
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0308142045430.29014-100000@g24.physik.fu-ber lin.de>
From: David Arnold @ 2003-08-14 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I am following this thread and I can report the same result as Holger.

\setupformulae[align=right]

\starttext

\placeformula[david]
\startformula
\eqalignno{%
left & right &  \formulanumber \cr
left & right &  \formulanumber \cr
}
\stopformula

\stoptext

Gives this result.

! You can't use `\halign' in math mode.
\eqalignno ...displ@y \tabskip \centering \halign
                                                  to \displaywidth {\hfil
$\...
l.10 }

May I ask how I can reference each of these equations separately in the
text? That is, how can I give a different label to each equation in the
alignment, then reference each one independent of the other?

Thanks.

@ 2003-08-14 14:20 Holger Schöner
From: Holger Schöner @ 2003-08-14 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-08-14 13:53       ` Holger Schöner
From: Holger Schöner @ 2003-08-14 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-08-14 13:29     ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-08-14 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

@ 2003-08-14 11:29   ` Holger Schöner
From: Holger Schöner @ 2003-08-14 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Holger Schöner schrieb:
> > 1) Some of the formulas should be numbered, some not; and at the same time
> > I would like to align several of them.
[...]
> I use
> \eqalignno{
>   left & right & \formulanumber \cr
>   left & right & \formulanumber \cr
> }

Thanks, Tobias! This works for me, if I place a "\placeformula" before
formulas enclosed by "$$". Funny, though, that I get an error if I instead
enclose the formula with "\startformula ... \endformula":

----------
! You can't use `\halign' in math mode.
\eqalignno ...displ@y \tabskip \centering \halign
                                                  to \displaywidth {\hfil
$\...
l.42   }
----------

Thanks a lot,

--

@ 2003-08-14 10:47 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-08-14 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Holger, hi all

Holger Schöner schrieb:
> 1) Some of the formulas should be numbered, some not; and at the same time
> I would like to align several of them.
> For alignment I seem to be able to use \eqalign (or \startalign ...
> \stopalign from the t-amsl.tex sent around here lately). But if I place a
> \placeformula in front of this, the whole aligned block only gets one
> number; I would need a number for every line (or even better: a possibility
> to state, which lines should be numbered, and which not).

I use
\eqalignno{
  left & right & \formulanumber \cr
  left & right & \formulanumber \cr
}

or

\eqalignno{
  left & right & \formulanumber{a}    \cr
  left & right & \subformulanumber{b} \cr
}

If I have a longer formula which should only get one number, I use

\eqalignno{
  left & right1 &                  \cr
       & right2 & \formulanumber{} \cr
}

With warm regards also from Berlin,

Tobias

--
This above all: To thine own self be true / And it must follow as
the night the day / Thou canst not then be false to any man.

* Aligned numbered math formulas
@ 2003-08-14 10:26 Holger Schöner