* TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX
@ 2003-09-28  8:56 ^Nitram^
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: ^Nitram^ @ 2003-09-28  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have the same problem as was reported at 8.04.2003 - anybody
resolved it ?... I have a document (about 80 pages) and error when I
compile whole. Below I attach my log file - anybody have any good idea
- I need this paper today ;(((

log file:
[cut]
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=35000].

If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 6324 strings out of 67199
 81075 string characters out of 744379
 601426 words of memory out of 1165764
 35000 multiletter control sequences out of 35000
 41684 words of font info for 101 fonts, out of 500000 for 1000
 96 hyphenation exceptions out of 607
 63i,21n,91p,1354b,3886s stack positions out of 1500i,500n,5000p,200000b,32768s
 973 PDF objects out of 65536
 480 named destinations out of 20000
 9 words of extra memory for PDF output out of 65536

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX
@ 2003-09-28 12:42 ` Willi Egger
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-09-28 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Find in the texmf.cnf file in texmf-var\web2c directory the section where
the different memory settings are set:

The following table was posted by Hans Hagen in february 2003, so it should
be o.k. At least in my situation these settings do perform as expected.

buf_size.context         =  200000 % needed for omega bug
extra_mem_bot.context    = 2000000
extra_mem_top.context    = 2000000
font_max.context         =    2000
font_mem_size.context    = 1000000
hash_extra.context       =   50000
main_memory.context      = 1500000
max_strings.context      =  100000
nest_size.context        =     500
obj_tab_size.context     =  300000
dest_names_size          =  300000
param_size.context       =    5000
pool_free.context        =   47500
pool_size.context        = 1250000
save_size.context        =   50000
stack_size.context       =    5000
string_vacancies.context =   90000

main_memory.mpost        = 2000000
pool_size.mpost          =  200000

Willi
> I have the same problem as was reported at 8.04.2003 - anybody
> resolved it ?... I have a document (about 80 pages) and error when I
> compile whole. Below I attach my log file - anybody have any good idea
> - I need this paper today ;(((
>
> log file:
> [cut]
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=35000].
>
> If you really absolutely need more capacity,
> you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.
>
> Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
>  6324 strings out of 67199
>  81075 string characters out of 744379
>  601426 words of memory out of 1165764
>  35000 multiletter control sequences out of 35000
>  41684 words of font info for 101 fonts, out of 500000 for 1000
>  96 hyphenation exceptions out of 607
>  63i,21n,91p,1354b,3886s stack positions out of
1500i,500n,5000p,200000b,32768s
>  973 PDF objects out of 65536
>  480 named destinations out of 20000
>  9 words of extra memory for PDF output out of 65536

* Re[2]: TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX
@ 2003-09-28 15:23   ` ^Nitram^
From: ^Nitram^ @ 2003-09-28 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

WE> Find in the texmf.cnf file in texmf-var\web2c directory the section where
WE> the different memory settings are set:
WE> The following table was posted by Hans Hagen in february 2003, so it should
WE> be o.k. At least in my situation these settings do perform as expected.

But the problem is I have no file with this name - when I compile
document it is pdfetex used (from MikTeX Large for win32)- I have no idea how
it could be changed. I use ConTeXt not so long - I have no experience with
other TeX systems - I can't believe that I can't build so small document ;(

--
Best regards,
 Martin

* Re: Re[2]: TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX
@ 2003-09-28 16:14     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-09-28 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Martin,

> Hi,
>
> WE> Find in the texmf.cnf file in texmf-var\web2c directory the section
where
> WE> the different memory settings are set:
> WE> The following table was posted by Hans Hagen in february 2003, so it
should
> WE> be o.k. At least in my situation these settings do perform as
expected.

> But the problem is I have no file with this name - when I compile
> document it is pdfetex used (from MikTeX Large for win32)- I have no idea
how
> it could be changed. I use ConTeXt not so long - I have no experience with
> other TeX systems - I can't believe that I can't build so small document
;(

Unfortunately I have no experience with Miktex. :-(
But there must be a file in this distribution which sets the memory
allocations too, try to find it and edit the values inthere.

Willi

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX
@ 2003-09-28 16:28       ` ^Nitram^
From: ^Nitram^ @ 2003-09-28 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

WE> But there must be a file in this distribution which sets the memory
WE> allocations too, try to find it and edit the values inthere.

I searched all files for string '35000' and found nothing - there are
settings of memory for miktex, but has no effect to this situation ;(

--
Best regards,
 Martin

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX
@ 2003-09-28 18:35 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-09-28 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sunday, September 28, 2003 ^Nitram^ wrote:

> Hi,

> I have the same problem as was reported at 8.04.2003 - anybody
> resolved it ?... I have a document (about 80 pages) and error when I
> compile whole. Below I attach my log file - anybody have any good idea
> - I need this paper today ;(((

> log file:
> [cut]
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=35000].

In MiKTeX the file is miktex.ini, not texmf.cnf; you should
find a hash_size=  entry there.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX
@ 2003-09-29  7:55 ` Sebastian Rooks
From: Sebastian Rooks @ 2003-09-29  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

^Nitram^ wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have the same problem as was reported at 8.04.2003 - anybody
>resolved it ?... I have a document (about 80 pages) and error when I
>compile whole. Below I attach my log file - anybody have any good idea
>- I need this paper today ;(((

Hi,
I guess you are referring to one of my previous messages. Giuseppe
Bilotta ("the MikTeX guy"on this list) confirmed that it cannot be
easily changed.
The simplest solution: use fpTeX (the windows part of TeXLive).
If you need some advices I'll try to help you.
Yours,

   Seb.

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX
@ 2003-09-29  8:20         ` Jochen Dietrich
From: Jochen Dietrich @ 2003-09-29  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

^Nitram^ wrote:

>Hi,
>
>WE> But there must be a file in this distribution which sets the memory
>WE> allocations too, try to find it and edit the values inthere.
>
>I searched all files for string '35000' and found nothing - there are
>settings of memory for miktex, but has no effect to this situation ;(

Hi,

what about texmf\miktex\config\miktex.ini ?

Jochen

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-09-29 18:55 ` walter kehowski
From: walter kehowski @ 2003-09-29 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

The likely problem is an error on your part: a mismatched parenthesis or some other
difficult to find mistake that occassionally doesn't warn you until you see a "TeX
capacity exceeded.." message. You might have to go through the usual process of
starting with a piece of your document, compiling it. If it compiles, go forward,
if it doesn't, go back. Repeat until the error is found.

Walter

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX
@ 2003-09-29 19:16   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-29 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

walter kehowski <walter.kehowski@gcmail.maricopa.edu> writes:

> The likely problem is an error on your part: a mismatched
> parenthesis or some other difficult to find mistake that

Hello Walter,

a hash size of 35000 does not seem to be sufficient for ConTeXt. I
doubt that that is really a mismatched paenthesis or so.

Even the simple document

\starttext
\setupinteraction[state=start]
\button[width=25mm, height=25mm]{Please, print me!}[firstpage]
\button[width=25mm, height=25mm]{Not this time!}[firstpage]
\stoptext

tells me:

 31134 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+50000

this is damn close to the 35000 of the OPs hash size.

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX
@ 2003-09-29 10:29 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-29 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:00 29/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
> > > ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=35000].
> > In MiKTeX the file is miktex.ini, not texmf.cnf; you should
> > find a hash_size=  entry there.
>
>There was no entry like this ;(
>But I created it (and also hash_size_def) in section MikTeX, pdfeTeX...
>I created new section Magic, too - and try changing other values, but
>nothing has effect with this size ;(
>
>I compared the simlest document in LaTeX with the simpliest document in
>ConTeXt - there was:
>- about 3000 multiletter control sequences out of 35000 in LaTeX
>- about 30000 ! in ConTeXt
>
>Why MikTeX don't support ConTeXt?... Why... ;)

i think that when you load a bunch of packages in latex and process a few
docs, the number of control sequences will be larger that 3000 (not 30K)
and demanding docs with lots of cross refs eat up hash space as well. Any
tex today should be huge.

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded in MikTeX