* Layout - once again!
@ 2009-11-26  4:19 Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2009-11-26  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why does the following does not center the text? I am choosing a
letter size paper which is 8.5 inches wide. I have both margins at
1.5in and all other distances equal to 0 in. Should the text be not
centered.

Thanks.

\setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\setuplayout[leftmargin=1.5in,rightmargin=1.5in,leftedge=0in,rightedge=0in,leftmargindistance=0in,rightmargindistance=0in,leftedgedistance=0in,rightedgedistance=0in,width=5.5in]

\starttext
\showlayout
\input tufte
\stoptext

* Re: Layout - once again!
@ 2009-11-26  4:45 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-26  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 05:19, Curiouslearn wrote:
> Why does the following does not center the text? I am choosing a
> letter size paper which is 8.5 inches wide. I have both margins at
> 1.5in

That's width of box called margin (the one where you put side notes
etc). You need to set backspace=1.5in and that should suffice.

> and all other distances equal to 0 in. Should the text be not
> centered.

No, because backspace=1in by default, so what you thought of as "left
margin" is only 1in wide and the right one probably 2in then.

Mojca

> \setuppapersize[letter][letter]
> \setuplayout[leftmargin=1.5in,rightmargin=1.5in,leftedge=0in,rightedge=0in,leftmargindistance=0in,rightmargindistance=0in,leftedgedistance=0in,rightedgedistance=0in,width=5.5in]
>
> \starttext
> \showlayout
> \input tufte
> \stoptext

* Re: Layout - once again!
@ 2009-11-26 14:37   ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2009-11-26 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Mojca. I knew the backspace would work, but I did not know why
the settings I specified did not work. I thought that if I explicitly
specify all the relevant dimensions, it would calculate backspace.
Seems like backspace is a necessary input. Maybe this should be
clarified on the Wiki.