* margin option in itemize
@ 2009-12-08 15:11 Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2009-12-08 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone please explain why the margin command does not work in
this example? What can I do to obtain the margin.

Thanks.

\setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\starttext

\input tufte

\startitemize
	\item This is the first item of outer list.
		\startitemize[a][stopper=)]
			\item Context is great. The more I use it the more I love it.
			\item Hope it continues to develop further.
		\stopitemize
	\item This is the second item of outer list. Margin command does not
work below.
		\startitemize[a][stopper=),margin=2in]
			\item Context is great. The more I use it the more I love it.
			\item Hope it continues to develop further.
		\stopitemize
\stopitemize

\input tufte

\stoptext

* Re: margin option in itemize
@ 2009-12-10 19:15 ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2009-12-10 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone please say whether it is possible to do what I am trying
to do below?

Thanks.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone please explain why the margin command does not work in
> this example? What can I do to obtain the margin.
>
> Thanks.
>
> \setuppapersize[letter][letter]
> \starttext
>
> \input tufte
>
> \startitemize
>        \item This is the first item of outer list.
>                \startitemize[a][stopper=)]
>                        \item Context is great. The more I use it the more I love it.
>                        \item Hope it continues to develop further.
>                \stopitemize
>        \item This is the second item of outer list. Margin command does not
> work below.
>                \startitemize[a][stopper=),margin=2in]
>                        \item Context is great. The more I use it the more I love it.
>                        \item Hope it continues to develop further.
>                \stopitemize
> \stopitemize
>
> \input tufte
>
> \stoptext

* Re: margin option in itemize
@ 2009-12-11 13:32   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-12-11 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Curiouslearn wrote:
> Can someone please say whether it is possible to do what I am trying
> to do below?

According to the docs 'margin' should do something, but I am not sure
what and it seems to have no effect over here. You can try if 'width'
does what you want.

Best wishes,
Taco

> Thanks.
>

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can someone please explain why the margin command does not work in
>> this example? What can I do to obtain the margin.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> \setuppapersize[letter][letter]
>> \starttext
>>
>> \input tufte
>>
>> \startitemize
>>        \item This is the first item of outer list.
>>                \startitemize[a][stopper=)]
>>                        \item Context is great. The more I use it the more I love it.
>>                        \item Hope it continues to develop further.
>>                \stopitemize
>>        \item This is the second item of outer list. Margin command does not
>> work below.
>>                \startitemize[a][stopper=),margin=2in]
>>                        \item Context is great. The more I use it the more I love it.
>>                        \item Hope it continues to develop further.
>>                \stopitemize
>> \stopitemize
>>
>> \input tufte
>>
>> \stoptext

* Re: margin option in itemize
@ 2009-12-12  1:22     ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2009-12-12  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I suppose you can think of 'margin=dimension' option as increasing the
margin by the specified dimension for the list. It works without any
problems for a list that is not nested within another list. However,
with nesting, as in the example I emailed, it does not work.

I tried the 'width' command but that does not do what I want. It
inserts the space between the item symbol and the item text. I want
the space before item symbol.

Thanks.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Curiouslearn wrote:
>> Can someone please say whether it is possible to do what I am trying
>> to do below?
>
> According to the docs 'margin' should do something, but I am not sure
> what and it seems to have no effect over here. You can try if 'width'
> does what you want.
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco
>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can someone please explain why the margin command does not work in
>>> this example? What can I do to obtain the margin.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> \setuppapersize[letter][letter]
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \input tufte
>>>
>>> \startitemize
>>>        \item This is the first item of outer list.
>>>                \startitemize[a][stopper=)]
>>>                        \item Context is great. The more I use it the more I love it.
>>>                        \item Hope it continues to develop further.
>>>                \stopitemize
>>>        \item This is the second item of outer list. Margin command does not
>>> work below.
>>>                \startitemize[a][stopper=),margin=2in]
>>>                        \item Context is great. The more I use it the more I love it.
>>>                        \item Hope it continues to develop further.
>>>                \stopitemize
>>> \stopitemize
>>>
>>> \input tufte
>>>
>>> \stoptext

* Re: margin option in itemize
@ 2009-12-12  6:22       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-12-12  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.12.2009 um 02:22 schrieb Curiouslearn:

> I suppose you can think of 'margin=dimension' option as increasing the
> margin by the specified dimension for the list. It works without any
> problems for a list that is not nested within another list. However,
> with nesting, as in the example I emailed, it does not work.
>
> I tried the 'width' command but that does not do what I want. It
> inserts the space between the item symbol and the item text. I want
> the space before item symbol.

You can change the margin only on the first level.

\starttext
\startitemize
\item item 1
  \startitemize[a][stopper=)]
  \item item 1a
  \item item 1b
  \stopitemize
\item item 2
  \startitemize[a][stopper=),width=3cm,left={\hspace[normal]}]
  \item item 2a
  \item item 2b
  \stopitemize
\stopitemize
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: margin option in itemize
@ 2009-12-12  6:37 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-12-12  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone please explain why the margin command does not work in
> this example? What can I do to obtain the margin.
>
> Thanks.
>
> \setuppapersize[letter][letter]
> \starttext
>
> \input tufte
>
> \startitemize
>        \item This is the first item of outer list.
>                \startitemize[a][stopper=)]
>                        \item Context is great. The more I use it the more I love it.
>                        \item Hope it continues to develop further.
>                \stopitemize
>        \item This is the second item of outer list. Margin command does not
> work below.
>                \startitemize[a][stopper=),margin=2in]
>                        \item Context is great. The more I use it the more I love it.
>                        \item Hope it continues to develop further.
>                \stopitemize
> \stopitemize
>
> \input tufte
>
> \stoptext

As wolfgang already wrote

\setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\setupitemize[2][stopper={:},left={\kern2.10em},width=\dimexpr 2.10em+1em\relax]
\starttext
\input tufte
\startitemize
       \item This is the first item of outer list.
               \startitemize[a]
                       \item Context is great. The more I use it the more it

--
luigi

* Re: margin option in itemize
@ 2009-12-12 16:36   ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2009-12-12 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Wolfgang and Luigi. Luigi's solution worked well.
Unfortunately, left={hspace[normal]} did not give the desired outcome.
The item symbols were still at their original location.

I have a follow up question. Based on your solution I also tried
left=\hskip 2.10em, which works too? Is there a reason why \kern is
better than \hskip?

Thanks.