* Anyone managed a tabulated table of contents
@ 2020-05-25 12:40 Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2020-05-25 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't be the first to have wanted to try something like this. Is it possible to use tabulate (or any of the table types) to customise the layout of the table of contents?

I'd like 4 columns - title, subject, author and page - where subject and author will (eventually) be additional parameters supplied to \startchapter. Bonus points if it works in interactive mode as well.

Minimum non-working example below. This generates the 4 column values per chapter heading but they run together into a single paragraph as if the table formatting was not present.

%%% Begin %%%
\setuppapersize [A4] [A4]
\setupinteraction [state=start]
\setuplist [chapter]
  [ alternative=command, %interactive
    command=\myTOCrow,
    before=\myTOCbefore,
    after=\myTOCafter
  ]

% #1 == Section number; #2 == text; #3 == page number
\define[3]\myTOCrow{\NC #2 \NC dummy \NC John Doe \NC #3 \NC\NR }

\define\myTOCbefore{
  \starttabulate[|pw(8.75cm)|l|lw(4.2cm)|r|]
  \NC \underbars{Title}
  \NC \underbars{Subject}
  \NC \underbars{Author}
  \NC \underbars{Page}
  \NC\NR
}

\define\myTOCafter{%
  \stoptabulate }

\starttext
\title{Tabulated Table of Contents}
\placelist[chapter]

\startchapter[title=Tufte 1]
\input tufte
\stopchapter

\startchapter[title=Tufte 2]
\input tufte
\stopchapter
\stoptext
%%% End %%%

--
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: Anyone managed a tabulated table of contents
@ 2020-05-25 15:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-05-25 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/25/2020 2:40 PM, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> I can't be the first to have wanted to try something like this. Is it possible to use tabulate (or any of the table types) to customise the layout of the table of contents?
>
> I'd like 4 columns - title, subject, author and page - where subject and author will (eventually) be additional parameters supplied to \startchapter. Bonus points if it works in interactive mode as well.
>
> Minimum non-working example below. This generates the 4 column values per chapter heading but they run together into a single paragraph as if the table formatting was not present.
>
> %%% Begin %%%
> \setuppapersize [A4] [A4]
> \setupinteraction [state=start]
> \setuplist [chapter]
>    [ alternative=command, %interactive
>      command=\myTOCrow,
>      before=\myTOCbefore,
>      after=\myTOCafter
>    ]
>
> % #1 == Section number; #2 == text; #3 == page number
> \define[3]\myTOCrow{\NC #2 \NC dummy \NC John Doe \NC #3 \NC\NR }
>
> \define\myTOCbefore{
>    \starttabulate[|pw(8.75cm)|l|lw(4.2cm)|r|]
>    \NC \underbars{Title}
>    \NC \underbars{Subject}
>    \NC \underbars{Author}
>    \NC \underbars{Page}
>    \NC\NR
> }
>
> \define\myTOCafter{%
>    \stoptabulate }
>
> \starttext
> \title{Tabulated Table of Contents}
> \placelist[chapter]
>
> \startchapter[title=Tufte 1]
> \input tufte
> \stopchapter
>
> \startchapter[title=Tufte 2]
> \input tufte
> \stopchapter
> \stoptext
> %%% End %%%
It's hard. Maybe I need to make a more low level accessor for that but
multipass etc gets in the way. When you knwo the dimensions you can do
this:

\usemodule[article-basic]

\definelistalternative
   [whatever]
   [renderingsetup=whatever]

\setuplist
   [chapter]
   [alternative=whatever]

\startsetups whatever
     \framed [offset=overlay,frame=off] {
         \framed [width=25mm,align=flushleft,frame=off,offset=0pt] {
             number: \currentlistentrynumber
         }
         \framed [width=4cm,align=normal,frame=off,offset=0pt] {
             title: \currentlistentrytitle
         }
         \framed [width=4cm,align=normal,frame=off,offset=0pt] {
             author: \structurelistuservariable{author}
         }
         \framed [width=2cm,align=flushright,frame=off,offset=0pt] {
             page: \currentlistentrypagenumber
         }
     }
\stopsetups

\starttext

     \starttitle[title={Tabulated Table of Contents}]
         \placelist[chapter]
     \stoptitle

     \dorecurse {3} {
         \startchapter[title=Covid 9][author=Cuomo]
             \input cuomo
         \stopchapter
     }

\stoptext