From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Cc: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@freedom.nl>
Subject: [NTG-context] Re: Very strange error:
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 00:25:17 +0200	[thread overview]

On 8/14/2023 11:24 PM, Xavier B. wrote:
> Thanks, Rik, for the comment. You're right.
> Note that I've never been aware of such requirement because always in MKIV I use \head without \par.
>
> @all, please comment it out this behaviour in somewhere. The weak point of context is documentation: wiki is too bit not updated and reference manual are outdated. As a simple user, it could cause nightmares, overall in transition to one major version to another.
the only things that really changed are

- input encodings, still supported but we assume utf8
- font encodings, font features etc that make for different specifications
- some fuzzy argument handling that made sense 25 years ago but not today
- some low level fatures that were never to be used at the user level
- improvements to mechanism that are now possible
- more was added than removed (and believe me: i'd like to remove some)
- if something fails also keep in mind that maybe it was never supossed
to work but tex is just rather tolerant

take for instance math: we adapt to possibilities, unicode developments
etc. but overall interfaces are kept (we eventually dropped $$ mkiv
because it is hard to get spacing right otherwise, een with some nasty
tricks)

\head is one of these "best use arguments" and les sknown is that we
also dropped par delimited \section and such (the head one currently can
be enabled with \autoparagraphmode4)

the main drive is 'better rendering' and 'less complicated coding'

you use for for instance \bigskip which is never going to guarantee good
spacing as it doesn't cooperate with \blank and friends (it is sort of
dangerous to mix what oen sees outside context with context commands
like like loading that lua module, which actually is in none of the
manuals)

if one wants to get an idea of coding context documents the 'source sof
manuals' can show some

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE