On 7/4/05, Adam Lindsay wrote: > Patrick Gundlach said this at Mon, 4 Jul 2005 09:54:06 +0200: > > >Hello David, > > > >> I am new to ConTeXt, as my question is about to reveal. > > > >This questions can also come from more experienced users :) > > > >> Which set of instructions should I follow, in order to allow use of > >> Palatino or Times, on Mac OS X, Gerben Wierda's TeX distribution, latest > >> ConTeXt installed? > > > >OK, do you have LaTeX working? Then you can use the standard > >postscript fonts for ConTeXt as well. Have a look at the (yet > >unfinished page) > > > >http://contextgarden.net/Psnfss > > Sadly, that page relies on type-pre, which is deprecated! > (Yes, the situation changes again.) > > So, the situation should now be: > > % Times, Helvetica, Courier: > \usetypescript [adobekb] [\defaultencoding] % default=ec > \usetypescript [postscript][\defaultencoding] > \setupbodyfont [postscript] > > % or, for Times, Helvetica, and Latin Modern TT: > \usetypescript [adobekb][\defaultencoding] > \usetypescript [times] [\defaultencoding] > \setupbodyfont [times] > > % or, for Palatino & Latin Modern TT: > \usetypescript [adobekb] [\defaultencoding] > \usetypescript [palatino] [\defaultencoding] > \setupbodyfont [palatino] > > The situation is "dynamic" because, to Hans's increasing frustration, > the font files that get distributed change with just about every release > of tetex (which gwTeX is mostly based on) or TeXLive. > Hi David, Patrick and Adam, It is right that handling fonts is extremely disappointing and instable... For instance, what used to work does not work anymore properly with the new version of ConTeXt I installed two weeks ago... (please see below). For instance: \usetypescript [adobekb][\defaultencoding] \setupbodyfont[postscript] \usetypescript[times][\defaultencoding] %or helvetica, or palatino \setupbodyfont[times,12pt] used to work fine, but now it results in ConTeXt creating, the first time, a whole bunch of things regarding fonts, and then the resulting PDF contains some ugly jagging bitmap-looking characters (interestingly this happens only to the text characters, not to the math characters...). Adding \usetypescript [postscript][\defaultencoding] before \setupbodyfont[postscript] does not change anymorethe situation. I wanted to answer David's question on Saturday but when I tried my examples, I was dispappointed and did not answer. Best regards: OK