* Accessibility
@ 2005-09-03  5:03 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-09-03  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

We got the note below from our college president today. What does
anyone know about making context and pdf accessible to student with
vision problems?

Dear Colleagues:

We have an obligation and a commitment to full accessibility to our
courses and programs for students with disabilities.

By sending this memo, I want to inform you that effective immediately,
and in adherence to College of the Redwoods Board of Trustees Policy
No. 809 Administrative Regulation 809.07, specifically Part III of the
Policy Statement "Access to Electronic and Information Technology"
http://www.redwoods.edu/district/board/policies/ar/AR80907.Htm , all
instructional web pages and Blackboard postings must meet Level 1
accessibility standards as defined by the World Wide Web Consortium
(W3C)  and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act Part 1194.22. These
standards are primarily concerned with the construction of electronic
documents including web pages and the readability of those documents by
assistive technology used by students with disabilities including
students who are low vision or blind.

In designing online instructional documents for your courses, please
ensure that they meet the specific requirements for accessibility
compliance found in both of the following:

W3C Checklist http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/full-checklist.html

and

Section 508 Checklist http://www.webaim.org/standards/508/checklist

Faculty web page authors may also access the staff of the Center for
Teaching Excellence for guidance and assistance in web page and
Blackboard development. Additional online information can also be found
by visiting the

  http://hightech.redwoods/accessibility/

Using these resources, each of us can ensure the accessibility of our
course materials.  Thank you so much for your attention to this
important matter-

Casey

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 2920 bytes --]

[...]

* Re: Accessibility
@ 2005-09-03  5:11 ` Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2005-09-03  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:03 PM 9/2/2005, David Arnold wrote:
>We got the note below from our college president today. What does anyone
>know about making context and pdf accessible to student with vision problems?

I don't know that much offhand.  However, with web pages, one of the
simpler ways of testing compatibility with screen-readers is using lynx to
view the file; I'd think that using one of the pdf-to-text converters on
the pdf file would do about the same for .pdf files.  It's not a perfect
test by any means, but it's a good first start.

Given that the TeX->PDF->text pathway is often recommended for getting text
out of TeX documents, I suspect it's likely to be reasonably ok.

- Brooks

* Accessibility
@ 2014-08-04 14:43 D.K.
From: D.K. @ 2014-08-04 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)