* Fwd: Former Y&Y Lucida fonts available from TUG
@ 2005-12-12  1:12 Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2005-12-12  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

The following message was posted to comp.text.tex yesterday; I thought some
of you who don't read the newsgroup regularly would like to hear about it,
and so I'm passing it along.

For those who haven't been following the story: Since the demise of Y&Y,
there hasn't been a place to obtain a legal copy of their Lucida font
distribution, which was the only place to get the Lucida New Math fonts
needed for doing TeX math properly in Lucida.  TUG has been in negotiations
with the relevant copyright holders for a while in order to be able to
distribute the fonts; this has finally come to fruition, and the fonts are
now available again -- for prices considerably lower than what I gather Y&Y
charged, and with a license that allows embedding the fonts in PDF files.

- Brooks

Subject: Lucida fonts available from TUG
Date: 10 Dec 2005 15:26:44 -0800
From: Karl Berry <karl@tug.org>
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex

Hi everyone,

The Lucida fonts are now available through TUG; visit
http://tug.org/lucida if you're interested.

In short, the "complete set" offered by TUG is exactly the
same 41 Lucida fonts which Y&Y sold.  (The pfb's are
completely unchanged.)  There is also a "basic set" with 22
fonts -- all the math fonts and the essential text fonts.
Both individual and site licenses are available.  There is a
substantial discount for TUG members.

Due to legal and overhead considerations, we aren't
currently planning to offer the fonts one at a time, or in
any other bundles.  Hopefully the price is low enough that
this will not be a significant problem.

The Lucida TeX support metrics and lucidabr (psnfssx) macros
have been (slightly) updated.  They have been uploaded to
CTAN and should appear there in due course.  Of course all
the support files are included in the downloads from tug;
they're on CTAN primarily for the benefit of Y&Y users who
already have the fonts.

user questions, suggestions, bug reports, etc.  Please feel
free to post and/or join.

A separate address, lucida-admin@tug.org, should be used for
licensing, billing, and other such admin questions.

Font samples, documentation, and more are available on the
web site.

Although we still expect to offer a license upgrade for Y&Y
users, this has proven legally complicated, so it's not
online quite yet.  I'll post again when it is ready; it
might be a few more weeks, given the holidays (and lawyers'
usual working pace, anyway :).  I didn't want this to delay
making the fonts available, so decided to go ahead.

Major thanks to Chuck Bigelow and Kris Holmes for generously
allowing TUG to offer this to the TeX community - and
especially for designing this remarkable typeface in the
first place.  Also thanks to Walter Schmidt for creating and
updating the TeX font support files, PCTeX for sponsoring
him and allowing his work to be redistributed, and to Morten
Hoegholm for working on the samples and other TeXnical help.

Happy Lucida holidays,
Karl

(R) Lucida is a trademark of Bigelow & Holmes
Inc. registered in the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office and
other jurisdictions.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-12-12  1:12 UTC | newest]