From: "Robert F. Beeger" <5beeger@informatik.uni-hamburg.de>
Subject: Wanting to learn plain TeX
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:15:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello!

I'm reading this mailing list since April, but I must confess that I'm not
understanding a whole bunch of the postings that were made on it.

I asked myself for the reason and found out that all this posting that I
don't understand make a great use of plain Tex, which I don't really know.
I used LaTeX and then converted to ConTeXt, which both in their own ways
take away the pain to cope with plain TeX from the user.

But as I see it, the really cool things in ConTeXt have to be done with
plain TeX or with ConTeXt and plain TeX.
So I decided to learn TeX at its roots.

Does someone know a good hands-on book about TeX. Or is the TeX-Book by
Knuth still the best one available?

Thanks in advance and happy conTeXting
      Robert