From: Tobias Burnus <burnus@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Re: Announcement: texutil.c
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:31:53 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

Hans Hagen wrote:

> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/tex.iso.bz2           120 M (unzips
> to an ISO which runs context + everything from cd, for the moment win,
> including perl/ruby)
>
>> Who is maintaining this one?  What is needed to expand it for the
>> other systems?
>
> i maintain it, and what i need is a version of scite for linux and the
> mac that can run from cdrom (many linux things have hard coded paths);

With regard to what, perl? In this case, the EVAL mechanism of Thomas
Esser works reasonable well. Besides, de facto all Linux  have a
standard perl at /usr/bin/perl as defined by the FHS and LSB.  One
cannot assume that ruby is installed, but if then it is installed at
/usr/bin/ruby.

> when users provide proper *any editor* setups i can add them as well

Well, regarding editors, one can  write a script like:
----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
if [ -z "$EDITOR" ]; then
    command -v  editor 2>/dev/null && EDITOR=editor
     [ -z "$EDITOR ] && EDITOR=vi
fi
I think I should have a look at the ConTeXt Live CD.

Regards,

Tobias,
who wonders why he is only receiving  ConTeXt emails via  one email
address and not via the other, since mailman claims that I'm subscribed.