* Re: Place footnote after reference
@ 2019-07-22 16:34 Huseyin Özoguz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Huseyin Özoguz @ 2019-07-22 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But I admit that I do not understand the problem all that well. I have
> never run into a situation where I want the footnote to explicitly
> *not* appear with its reference (except in endnotes). If my grid
> settings were that specific, I would be using endnotes anyway.

I have this problem everywhere in a 400-page project with hundrets of
footnotes and no special grid settings at all. How would you solve this
situation (my minexamle):

\showgrid
\starttext
\input tufte
\input tufte \footnote{Footnote 1}
\input tufte
\input tufte \dorecurse{35}{Blub or what }\footnote{Footnote 2} \input tufte
\stoptext

The problem is, that Context (or Tex) skips lines, which is poor typesetting, too many even than necessary in some cases, and that is not suitable. Endnotes are no solutions aswell, I need footnotes. So the solution to have reference and footnote not on the same page seems the least bad workaround, if possible at all.

Thanks
Huseyin

--
Huseyin Özoguz

E-Mail: h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de

* Re: Place footnote after reference
@ 2019-07-22 17:11 ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2019-07-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/22/2019 12:34, Huseyin Özoguz wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> But I admit that I do not understand the problem all that well. I have
>> never run into a situation where I want the footnote to explicitly
>> *not* appear with its reference (except in endnotes). If my grid
>> settings were that specific, I would be using endnotes anyway.
>
> I have this problem everywhere in a 400-page project with hundrets of
> footnotes and no special grid settings at all. How would you solve
> this situation (my minexamle):
>
> \showgrid
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> \input tufte \footnote{Footnote 1}
> \input tufte
> \input tufte \dorecurse{35}{Blub or what }\footnote{Footnote 2} \input tufte
> \stoptext
>
> The problem is, that Context (or Tex) skips lines, which is poor typesetting, too many even than necessary in some cases, and that is not suitable. Endnotes are no solutions aswell, I need footnotes. So the solution to have reference and footnote not on the same page seems the least bad workaround, if possible at all.
>
> Thanks
> Huseyin
>
> --
> Huseyin Özoguz
>
> E-Mail:h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de

Have you tried \setupnote[footnote][before={\blank[none]}] ?

--

Rik

* Re: Place footnote after reference
@ 2019-07-22 17:14 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-07-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 18:34:34 +0200
Huseyin Özoguz <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de> wrote:

> The problem is, that Context (or Tex) skips lines, which is poor
> typesetting, too many even than necessary in some cases, and that is
> not suitable. Endnotes are no solutions aswell, I need footnotes. So
> the solution to have reference and footnote not on the same page
> seems the least bad workaround, if possible at all.

So why not place footnotes in a (sufficiently large) reserved bottom
space? The typeset text area would then be uniform across all pages and
notes would appear where needed.

Alan

* Re: Place footnote after reference
@ 2019-07-22 18:46   ` Huseyin Özoguz
From: Huseyin Özoguz @ 2019-07-22 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So why not place footnotes in a (sufficiently large) reserved bottom
> space? The typeset text area would then be uniform across all pages and
> notes would appear where needed.

Would be possibe in some cases, but not in mine: I have many small
footnones, only a few words, and some very long with several lines. With
your solution I would waste 50%+ of the area or - as an alternative - I
had to split the long footnotes across several pages and their
footnote-areas. Actually that might be an interesting workaround ... I
will try it, but it would cost still a lot of space and pages.

Huseyin

Huseyin Özoguz

E-Mail: h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de

@ 2019-07-23  7:41 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-07-23  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 22 Jul 2019, at 18:34, Huseyin Özoguz <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de> wrote:
>

> The problem is, that Context (or Tex) skips lines, which is poor typesetting, too many even than necessary in some cases, and that is not suitable.

ConTeXt does not skip too much in this example, it the second footnote
will just not fit with the (default) parameter set ConTeXt is using.

If the footnote 2 would be on the first page, that is an extra line for
the reference line, and an extra line for the actual note. There is
an implicit \blank before the footnote rule, and that is a third ‘line’.

Since there only is 2 lines (and a bit) of space available, it will not fit.

Disable the default \blank with:

  \setupnote[footnote][before=]

and both notes will fit on the first page.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Place footnote after reference
@ 2019-07-23  8:48 Huseyin Özoguz
From: Huseyin Özoguz @ 2019-07-23  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank Taco, that worked in the example, of course the general problem
stays (thanks to Rik Kabel, too).

But with your suggestion I dicovered a interesting behaviour, see this
example:

\showgrid
\setupnote[footnote][before=]
\starttext
\input tufte
\input tufte \footnote{Footnote 1}
\input tufte
\input tufte \dorecurse{35}{Blub or what }\footnote{Footnote 2} That
does\footnote{Footnote 3} only\footnote{Footnote 4} work in special cases.
\stoptext

Now Context indeed sets the third and fourth footnote on the second
page, but leaves the reference to them on the last line of the first
page. This is exactly the behaviour I want in general. Could we force that?

/For testing: /If we add another footnote in the example above, it fails
again - despite of the possibility to just typeset the lines exactly
like in the example above, just move the footnotes on the next page, not
the references - here might be some logic-mistake at work, because there
should be no difference in my opinion between the examples:

\showgrid
\setupnote[footnote][before=]
\starttext
\input tufte
\input tufte \footnote{Footnote 1}
\input tufte
\input tufte \footnote{Footnote extra} \dorecurse{35}{Blub or what

@ 2019-07-22 18:01     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-07-22 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Braslau schrieb am 22.07.2019 um 16:37:
> I do not know the details, but take a look at the following keywords
> (which do the *opposite* of what you are seeking):
>
> \setupnote
>    [footnote]
>    [split=verystrict,scope=page]

The scope setting isn't used in the current beta and the code is
commented in the source.

Wolfgang

* Re: Place footnote after reference
@ 2019-07-22 15:00     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-07-22 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 22 Jul 2019, at 16:37, Alan Braslau <braslau.list@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 16:27:45 +0200
> Denis Maier <maier.de@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> llI don't know a solution for this, but would be very interested.
>> With LaTeX you can use the `atbegshi`-package that gives you a
>> command ` \AtBeginShipoutNext`:
>>
>> ```
>> \footnotemark
>> \clearpage
>> \AtBeginShipoutNext{\footnotetext{Text.}}

ConTeXt has a token register called \everybeforeoutput, which sounds
somewhat similar to me. The only problem is that it does not auto-reset,
so you have to do that yourself (by globally redefining the macro
that is called)

  \def\outstuff
    {\footnotetext{Whatever}%
     \gdef\outstuff{}}
  \prependtoks \outstuff  \to \everybeforeoutput

(there is also \everyafteroutput)

Whether that is usable or not for this problem, I do not know …

@ 2019-07-22 14:37   ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-07-22 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2019-07-22 14:27 ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2019-07-22 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)