* metafun
@ 2004-06-23 15:03 jimarin
       [not found] ` <m2eko6gvg m.fsf@levana.de>
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-23 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have made

texexec --make metafun

to generate metafun format. And it said it generated it.

But...

I always get these messages

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt metafun.mem
fmtutil: no info for format `metafun'.

when doing texexec --pdf to my tex-beauties...

it seems that he goes for metapost after that...

is there anything wrong here?

thanks !

jose

* Re: metafun
       [not found] ` <m2eko6gvg m.fsf@levana.de>
       [not found] ` <40DA8D15. 4020205@wxs.nl>
@ 2004-06-23 15:11 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-23 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

try texexec --alone --make metafun

and your texexec is (as far as I can judge) far out of date.

 TeXExec 4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004

is current

Patrick
--
texshow-web:  http://members.ping.de:8061
ConTeXt wiki: http://members.ping.de:8062

* Re: Re: metafun
@ 2004-06-23 15:26   ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-23 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

you are right...mine is 3.1

but I don't understand...I downloaded cont-tmf.zip yesterday from
pragma-ade downloading page...

is it not the right place/version?

where should I get the lattest?

thanks again !

Jose

@ 2004-06-23 15:45     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-23 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> but I don't understand...I downloaded cont-tmf.zip yesterday from
> pragma-ade downloading page...
>
> is it not the right place/version?

that is the only authorative(spelling?) place to download... There
are mirrors, but I don't know how uptodate they are.

The output you have sent me (private mail) showed that you use the
latest ConTeXt texfiles, but the perl progam "texexec" was not
updated.

Did texexec --make --alone metafun work?

Patrick

--

@ 2004-06-23 15:55       ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-23 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

yep, it seems to work...it generates metafun.mem in the same directory it
was invoked...

do I have to invoke

texexec --make --alone

in a specific directory to perform correct installation of ConTeXt ?

I have not seen anything like that mentioned in install document...

is lattest version of TexExec in cont-tfm.zip ?

Jose

@ 2004-06-23 16:03         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-23 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jose,

> do I have to invoke
>
> texexec --make --alone
>
> in a specific directory to perform correct installation of ConTeXt ?

texexec --make --alone bypasses your distribution's way of installing
format files (fmtutil in your case I guess).

Put the resulting format files (*.fmt, *efmt, *mem) in texmf/web2c
and rerun texhash.

> I have not seen anything like that mentioned in install document...

I guess it is hidden...

> is lattest version of TexExec in cont-tfm.zip ?

Yes.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-06-23 16:04       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-06-23 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>but I don't understand...I downloaded cont-tmf.zip yesterday from
>>pragma-ade downloading page...
>>
>>is it not the right place/version?
>>

>that is the only authorative(spelling?) place to download... There
>are mirrors, but I don't know how uptodate they are.
>
>The output you have sent me (private mail) showed that you use the
>latest ConTeXt texfiles, but the perl progam "texexec" was not
>updated.
>
>Did texexec --make --alone metafun work?

watch out: scripts are now under ../texmf*/scripts/context and no longer under ../texmf/context/ ; normally this should make no difference but ...

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: metafun
@ 2004-06-23 16:11         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-06-23 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

jimarin@bayesinf.com wrote:

>yep, it seems to work...it generates metafun.mem in the same directory it
>was invoked...
>
>do I have to invoke
>
>texexec --make --alone
>
>in a specific directory to perform correct installation of ConTeXt ?
>
>I have not seen anything like that mentioned in install document...

the problem is that that should be a writable web2c path (maybe i should extend texexec a bit)

$TEXFORMATS=path-to-web2c

could be set is needed (then you know for sure where things end up)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: metafun
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-06-24  8:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-06-24  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

jimarin@bayesinf.com wrote:

>I have made
>
>texexec --make metafun
>
>to generate metafun format. And it said it generated it.
>
>But...
>
>I always get these messages
>
>kpathsea: Running mktexfmt metafun.mem
>

>fmtutil: no info for format `metafun'.

texexec ---make --alone metafun

move the mem file to the path reported by 'kpsewhich cont-en.efmt'

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* updating context in cygwin by hand
@ 2004-06-24 12:17   ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-24 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

after some investigation concluded I did not really installed the latest
version of ConTeXt properly. This being the cause of many of my previous
messages that Patrick, Hans and others (thanks to all !) so kindly
replied.

What I have here is a cygwin distro that comes with a texfm distro, in
this distro there is ConTeXt, but an older version from what I want
installed.

So in the texmf tree I put context files. So far so good.

But...this cygwin has a texexec shell script in /usr/bin that makes the
system to launch a texexec it has in: texfm/context/perltk.

I put there the new version of texexec copying into that directory all the
texmf/scripts/perl directory that comes in the new version of ConTeXt.

Now the new texexec is summoned. Great.

I even manage to pass to him the path where to put the en nl and metafun
formats (texfm/web2c) and so it does when I asked it:

texexec --make --alone en nl metafun

But...

when trying to do

texexec --pdf dummy

in /cygdrive/c/documents/versions (a cygwin alias to
C:\documents\versions, place where dummy.tex can be found)

it says:

 TeXExec 4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004

            executable : pdfetex
                format : /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/share/texmf/web2c/cont-en
             inputfile : pvm
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

pdfetex: unrecognized option `-fmt=cont-en'
Try `pdfetex --help' for more information.

           return code : 256
              run time : 0 seconds

        total run time : 1 seconds
make: *** [pvm.pdf] Error 1

I suspect the pdfetex executable...

any ideas?

thanks !

Jose

* Re: updating context in cygwin by hand
@ 2004-06-24 12:33     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-24 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> pdfetex: unrecognized option `-fmt=cont-en'
> Try `pdfetex --help' for more information.

known bug... see a message from me in thread "installation problem"

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/15443

Patrick
--
texshow-web:  http://members.ping.de:8061
ConTeXt wiki: http://members.ping.de:8062

* Re: Re: updating context in cygwin by hand
@ 2004-06-24 14:23       ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-24 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I am almost there...

followed instructions at levana.de/context/

it seems to be searching first the things at my place as:

mktexlsr: Updating /cygdrive/c/ConTeXt/texmf/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/share/texmf/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /var/cache/fonts/ls-R...

my place goes first

then I invoke texexec.pl with fullpath and --tex=pdfetex
and copied all scripts in myPLace/texfm/scripts/perl into
/usr/share/texmf/perltk (the place intermediate scripts are being called)

but...

eventually get:

---
           return code : 0
              run time : 2 seconds
   generating graphics : metaposting mpgraph.mp

 TeXExec 4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004

              metapost : mpgraph
                format : metafun
metafun: not found

        total run time : 1 seconds
  sorting and checking : running texutil
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.4.5)
**
! End of file on the terminal... why?

I am stuck even reading the previous posts...

@ 2004-06-25  8:29         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-25  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

>                 format : metafun
> metafun: not found

Did you copy the metafun.mem into the web2c directory?

Patrick
--

@ 2004-06-25  8:37           ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-25  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

yep...

I have re-started once again the whole thing and I am almost there...now
it does not stop on the "natural" file

I suspect of a bug in recent texexec.pl file, I am using the "old" one I
have from a previous version (3.1)

Jose

but I cannot place a blue thing in the background...I have some overlay
with a blue strip I wan to put in the background and it won't come up,
another overlay in the normal text area goes fine...this morning some
message saying something about the background was issued but I deleted it
(-gasp-)

when new distributions come into place...is there anything like an
standard (automatic) battery of tests (making some documents...or so...)
which is performed?

@ 2004-06-25  8:48             ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-25  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> but I cannot place a blue thing in the background...I have some overlay
> with a blue strip I wan to put in the background and it won't come up,
> another overlay in the normal text area goes fine...

You might think of posting the not-working file, so we could see what
is going wrong.

> this morning some message saying something about the background was
> issued but I deleted it (-gasp-)

You know about <URL:news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context>?

> when new distributions come into place...is there anything like an
> standard (automatic) battery of tests (making some documents...or so...)
> which is performed?

Good question. I have problems generating the manual documentation
once in a while, so I guess these aren't used for the test :-)

Patrick
--

@ 2004-06-25  9:11               ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-25  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

the blue thing was a mistake of mine...it is solved now !

will see what is failing with the update of texexec.pl...if I find the
reason I will report it

I like ConTeXt !!

thanks

Jose