* metafun
@ 2004-06-23 15:03 jimarin
       [not found] ` <m2eko6gvg m.fsf@levana.de>
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-23 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have made

texexec --make metafun

to generate metafun format. And it said it generated it.

But...

I always get these messages

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt metafun.mem
fmtutil: no info for format `metafun'.

when doing texexec --pdf to my tex-beauties...

it seems that he goes for metapost after that...

is there anything wrong here?

thanks !

jose

* Re: metafun
       [not found] ` <m2eko6gvg m.fsf@levana.de>
       [not found] ` <40DA8D15. 4020205@wxs.nl>
@ 2004-06-23 15:11 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-23 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

try texexec --alone --make metafun

and your texexec is (as far as I can judge) far out of date.

 TeXExec 4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004

is current

Patrick
--
texshow-web:  http://members.ping.de:8061
ConTeXt wiki: http://members.ping.de:8062

* Re: Re: metafun
@ 2004-06-23 15:26   ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-23 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

you are right...mine is 3.1

but I don't understand...I downloaded cont-tmf.zip yesterday from
pragma-ade downloading page...

is it not the right place/version?

where should I get the lattest?

thanks again !

Jose

@ 2004-06-23 15:45     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-23 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> but I don't understand...I downloaded cont-tmf.zip yesterday from
> pragma-ade downloading page...
>
> is it not the right place/version?

that is the only authorative(spelling?) place to download... There
are mirrors, but I don't know how uptodate they are.

The output you have sent me (private mail) showed that you use the
latest ConTeXt texfiles, but the perl progam "texexec" was not
updated.

Did texexec --make --alone metafun work?

Patrick

--

@ 2004-06-23 15:55       ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-23 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

yep, it seems to work...it generates metafun.mem in the same directory it
was invoked...

do I have to invoke

texexec --make --alone

in a specific directory to perform correct installation of ConTeXt ?

I have not seen anything like that mentioned in install document...

is lattest version of TexExec in cont-tfm.zip ?

Jose

@ 2004-06-23 16:03         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-23 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jose,

> do I have to invoke
>
> texexec --make --alone
>
> in a specific directory to perform correct installation of ConTeXt ?

texexec --make --alone bypasses your distribution's way of installing
format files (fmtutil in your case I guess).

Put the resulting format files (*.fmt, *efmt, *mem) in texmf/web2c
and rerun texhash.

> I have not seen anything like that mentioned in install document...

I guess it is hidden...

> is lattest version of TexExec in cont-tfm.zip ?

Yes.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-06-23 16:04       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-06-23 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>but I don't understand...I downloaded cont-tmf.zip yesterday from
>>pragma-ade downloading page...
>>
>>is it not the right place/version?
>>

>that is the only authorative(spelling?) place to download... There
>are mirrors, but I don't know how uptodate they are.
>
>The output you have sent me (private mail) showed that you use the
>latest ConTeXt texfiles, but the perl progam "texexec" was not
>updated.
>
>Did texexec --make --alone metafun work?

watch out: scripts are now under ../texmf*/scripts/context and no longer under ../texmf/context/ ; normally this should make no difference but ...

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: metafun
@ 2004-06-23 16:11         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-06-23 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

jimarin@bayesinf.com wrote:

>yep, it seems to work...it generates metafun.mem in the same directory it
>was invoked...
>
>do I have to invoke
>
>texexec --make --alone
>
>in a specific directory to perform correct installation of ConTeXt ?
>
>I have not seen anything like that mentioned in install document...

the problem is that that should be a writable web2c path (maybe i should extend texexec a bit)

$TEXFORMATS=path-to-web2c

could be set is needed (then you know for sure where things end up)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: metafun
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-06-24  8:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-06-24  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

jimarin@bayesinf.com wrote:

>I have made
>
>texexec --make metafun
>
>to generate metafun format. And it said it generated it.
>
>But...
>
>I always get these messages
>
>kpathsea: Running mktexfmt metafun.mem
>

>fmtutil: no info for format `metafun'.

texexec ---make --alone metafun

move the mem file to the path reported by 'kpsewhich cont-en.efmt'

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* updating context in cygwin by hand
@ 2004-06-24 12:17   ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-24 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

after some investigation concluded I did not really installed the latest
version of ConTeXt properly. This being the cause of many of my previous
messages that Patrick, Hans and others (thanks to all !) so kindly
replied.

What I have here is a cygwin distro that comes with a texfm distro, in
this distro there is ConTeXt, but an older version from what I want
installed.

So in the texmf tree I put context files. So far so good.

But...this cygwin has a texexec shell script in /usr/bin that makes the
system to launch a texexec it has in: texfm/context/perltk.

I put there the new version of texexec copying into that directory all the
texmf/scripts/perl directory that comes in the new version of ConTeXt.

Now the new texexec is summoned. Great.

I even manage to pass to him the path where to put the en nl and metafun
formats (texfm/web2c) and so it does when I asked it:

texexec --make --alone en nl metafun

But...

when trying to do

texexec --pdf dummy

in /cygdrive/c/documents/versions (a cygwin alias to
C:\documents\versions, place where dummy.tex can be found)

it says:

 TeXExec 4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004

            executable : pdfetex
                format : /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/share/texmf/web2c/cont-en
             inputfile : pvm
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

pdfetex: unrecognized option `-fmt=cont-en'
Try `pdfetex --help' for more information.

           return code : 256
              run time : 0 seconds

        total run time : 1 seconds
make: *** [pvm.pdf] Error 1

I suspect the pdfetex executable...

any ideas?

thanks !

Jose

* Re: updating context in cygwin by hand
@ 2004-06-24 12:33     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-24 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> pdfetex: unrecognized option `-fmt=cont-en'
> Try `pdfetex --help' for more information.

known bug... see a message from me in thread "installation problem"

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/15443

Patrick
--
texshow-web:  http://members.ping.de:8061
ConTeXt wiki: http://members.ping.de:8062

* Re: Re: updating context in cygwin by hand
@ 2004-06-24 14:23       ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-24 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I am almost there...

followed instructions at levana.de/context/

it seems to be searching first the things at my place as:

mktexlsr: Updating /cygdrive/c/ConTeXt/texmf/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/share/texmf/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /var/cache/fonts/ls-R...

my place goes first

then I invoke texexec.pl with fullpath and --tex=pdfetex
and copied all scripts in myPLace/texfm/scripts/perl into
/usr/share/texmf/perltk (the place intermediate scripts are being called)

but...

eventually get:

---
           return code : 0
              run time : 2 seconds
   generating graphics : metaposting mpgraph.mp

 TeXExec 4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2004

              metapost : mpgraph
                format : metafun
metafun: not found

        total run time : 1 seconds
  sorting and checking : running texutil
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.4.5)
**
! End of file on the terminal... why?

I am stuck even reading the previous posts...

@ 2004-06-25  8:29         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-25  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

>                 format : metafun
> metafun: not found

Did you copy the metafun.mem into the web2c directory?

Patrick
--

@ 2004-06-25  8:37           ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-25  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

yep...

I have re-started once again the whole thing and I am almost there...now
it does not stop on the "natural" file

I suspect of a bug in recent texexec.pl file, I am using the "old" one I
have from a previous version (3.1)

Jose

but I cannot place a blue thing in the background...I have some overlay
with a blue strip I wan to put in the background and it won't come up,
another overlay in the normal text area goes fine...this morning some
message saying something about the background was issued but I deleted it
(-gasp-)

when new distributions come into place...is there anything like an
standard (automatic) battery of tests (making some documents...or so...)
which is performed?

@ 2004-06-25  8:48             ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-06-25  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> but I cannot place a blue thing in the background...I have some overlay
> with a blue strip I wan to put in the background and it won't come up,
> another overlay in the normal text area goes fine...

You might think of posting the not-working file, so we could see what
is going wrong.

> this morning some message saying something about the background was
> issued but I deleted it (-gasp-)

You know about <URL:news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context>?

> when new distributions come into place...is there anything like an
> standard (automatic) battery of tests (making some documents...or so...)
> which is performed?

Good question. I have problems generating the manual documentation
once in a while, so I guess these aren't used for the test :-)

Patrick
--

@ 2004-06-25  9:11               ` jimarin
From: jimarin @ 2004-06-25  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

the blue thing was a mistake of mine...it is solved now !

will see what is failing with the update of texexec.pl...if I find the
reason I will report it

I like ConTeXt !!

thanks

Jose

@ 2021-02-20 21:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-02-20 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/20/2021 6:43 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:

> Thanks for the new upload.
>
> For your information, I would like to report that the metafun.tex file typesets almost corretly (actually I often typeset it for testing a new upload…) but I get a PDF with 400 pages instead the 448 you are mentionning…
> The issues are typically some figures not showing up (for instance figures 13.1 upto 13.13 in chapter 13).
>
> If you think this may be useful for you, I can send you off list the PDF I get on MacOS 10.14.6 and today's release of LMTX.
Did you check the log? Does some graphic fail? The missing pages can be
the summary chapter (due to just one run).

Hans

* Re: metafun
@ 2021-02-20 17:43 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2021-02-20 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the new upload.

For your information, I would like to report that the metafun.tex file typesets almost corretly (actually I often typeset it for testing a new upload…) but I get a PDF with 400 pages instead the 448 you are mentionning…
The issues are typically some figures not showing up (for instance figures 13.1 upto 13.13 in chapter 13).

If you think this may be useful for you, I can send you off list the PDF I get on MacOS 10.14.6 and today's release of LMTX.

Best regards: Otared

> On 20 Feb 2021, at 17:27, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> When making sure that the metafun manual processes with lmtx (where we have sometimes different implementations of macros) I also checked performance.
>
> When we started with this manual, it was still MKII time so we either had direct calls or inbetween calls. Especially multiple runs could take a while (many minutes, iir some 15 depending on how it was run). That was no fun.
>
> In mkiv with luatex and the built in mp library this dramatically went down to 18.1 seconds for one run and 14.2 seconds for luajittex, for 428
> pages.
>
> This not bad considering that a lots of features are used: thousands of mp images, a bunch of external images, many fonts, plenty of buffers, positioning, color, hyperlinks, backgrounds etc. This document uses plenty of lua so that is why we gain a lot with luajittex.
>
> In lmtx where we dropped jit and have a less performing backend we expect to need more runtime but in the meantime we're quite okay. Not only the engine is faster, but also some low level macros benefit a bit from new features. I don't know how much lua speedup plays a role but probably not that much. For 448 pages (some 20 more than we had before) we now need 16.5 seconds and 15.7 when we use the compact font mode. So we're halfway between luatex and luajittex now. More than 3 seconds of the runtime is for metapost. (I use the  machine as before.)
>
> Hans
>
> PS. If all the stories are true is should be 1 second on a modern apple at which point differences in measurements become noise but I cannot check that. Some day I might check it on a rpi 4.

* metafun
@ 2021-02-20 16:27 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-02-20 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-03-24 18:22       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-03-24 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/24/2016 6:24 PM, Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> P.S.
>
> For your conveniance, the minimal example:
>
> \startMPpositiongraphic{mypos:arrow}
>     pair c[] ;
>     initialize_box(\MPpos{\MPvar{self}});
>     c[1] := cxy ;
>     initialize_box(\MPpos{\MPvar{to}});
>     c[2] := cxy ;
>     drawarrow c[1] -- c[2] withpen pencircle scaled 2bp ;
> \stopMPpositiongraphic
> \startpositionoverlay{arrow}
> \setMPpositiongraphic{X-1}{mypos:arrow}{to=X-2}
> \setMPpositiongraphic{X-2}{mypos:arrow}{to=X-3}
> \stoppositionoverlay
> \defineoverlay[arrow][\positionoverlay{arrow}]
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=arrow]
>

> \starttext
>
> \section {Anchors and layers}
>
> In a previous section we saw that some \hpos{X-1}{words} were
> \hpos{X-2}{circled} and connected by an \hpos{X-3}{arrow}.
> As with most things in \CONTEXT, marking these words is separated
> from declaring what to do with those words. This paragraph is keyed
> in as:
>
> \stoptext

The interface changed a bit

\setupMPvariables
   [mpos:encircle]
   [fillcolor=lightgray,
    filloffset=0pt,
    linecolor=blue,
    lineoffset=5pt,
    linewidth=1pt]

\startMPpositiongraphic{mpos:encircle}{linecolor,fillcolor,linewidth,lineoffset}
     if unknown context_apos : input mp-apos.mpiv ; fi ;
     \MPgetposboxes{\MPvar{self}}{\MPanchorid}
     if nofposboxes = 1 :
         posboxes[1] := posboxes[1] enlarged \MPvar{lineoffset} cornered
\MPvar{lineoffset}  ;
         fill posboxes[1] withcolor \MPvar{fillcolor} ;
         draw posboxes[1] withpen pencircle scaled \MPvar{linewidth}
withcolor \MPvar{linecolor} ;
     fi ;
\stopMPpositiongraphic

\setupMPvariables
   [mpos:connect]
   [linecolor=red,
    lineoffset=.25ex,
    linewidth=1pt]

\startMPpositiongraphic{mpos:connect}{linecolor,lineoffset,linewidth}
     if unknown context_apos : input mp-apos.mpiv ; fi ;
     boxlinewidth  := \MPvar{linewidth} ;
     boxlineoffset := \MPvar{lineoffset} ;
     def boxlineoptions = withcolor \MPvar{linecolor} enddef ;
     \MPgetposboxes{\MPvar{from},\MPvar{to}}{\MPanchorid}
     connect_positions ;
\stopMPpositiongraphic

\starttext

     \startpositionoverlay{text-1}

\setMPpositiongraphic{connect-1-b}{mpos:connect}{from=connect-1-b,to=connect-1-e}

\setMPpositiongraphic{connect-1-e}{mpos:connect}{from=connect-1-b,to=connect-1-e}
     \stoppositionoverlay

     \startpositionoverlay{text-1}
         \setMPpositiongraphic{encircle-1}{mpos:encircle}{self=encircle-1}
     \stoppositionoverlay

     test \hpos{connect-1-b}{START}
         \dorecurse{10}{\input ward}
     \hpos{encircle-1}{\strut HERE}
         \dorecurse{10}{\input ward}
     \hpos{connect-1-e}{STOP} test

\stoptext

>> Hello list,
>>
>> The solution shown here no longer works with recent beta (indeed, it
>> probably ceased to work some time ago). How should it be corrected?
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Piotr

>>> I agree. That chapter is confusing if you do not know already how the
>>> mechanism
>>> works.

>>> You are simply setting the positions. You also need to tell ConTeXt to do
>>> something with the positions.
>>>
>>> 1. First define a position graphic that does something with the anchors that
>>> it is passed.
>>>
>>> \startMPpositiongraphic{mypos:arrow}
>>>    pair c[] ;
>>>    initialize_box(\MPpos{\MPvar{self}});
>>>    c[1] := cxy ;
>>>    initialize_box(\MPpos{\MPvar{to}});
>>>    c[2] := cxy ;
>>>    drawarrow c[1] -- c[2] withpen pencircle scaled 2bp ;
>>> \stopMPpositiongraphic
>>>
>>> cxy is the center of the box. See the defn of initialize_box in mp-core.mp
>>> for other values. I wish these were better documented.
>>>
>>> 2. Then define a position overlay that specifies the relation between the
>>> anchors.
>>>
>>> \startpositionoverlay{arrow}
>>> \setMPpositiongraphic{X-1}{mypos:arrow}{to=X-2}
>>> \setMPpositiongraphic{X-2}{mypos:arrow}{to=X-3}
>>> \stoppositionoverlay
>>>

>>> 3. Define an overlay that is mapped to MP position overlay.
>>>
>>> \defineoverlay[arrow][\positionoverlay{arrow}]
>>>
>>> 4. Hook the overlay as a page background
>>>
>>> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=arrow]
>>>
>>> 5. Then everything will work.
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \section {Anchors and layers}
>>>
>>> In a previous section we saw that some \hpos{X-1} {words} were
>>> \hpos{X-2}{circled} and connected by an \hpos{X-3} {arrow}.
>>> As with most things in \CONTEXT, marking these words is separated
>>> from declaring what to do with those words. This paragraph is keyed
>>> in as:
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> Aditya
>>

>> --
>> http://okle.pl

* Re: metafun
@ 2016-03-24 18:14       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2016-03-24 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@gmail.com> wrote:

> P.S.
>
> For your conveniance, the minimal example:
>
> \startMPpositiongraphic{mypos:arrow}
>    pair c[] ;
>    initialize_box(\MPpos{\MPvar{self}});
>    c[1] := cxy ;
>    initialize_box(\MPpos{\MPvar{to}});
>    c[2] := cxy ;
>    drawarrow c[1] -- c[2] withpen pencircle scaled 2bp ;
> \stopMPpositiongraphic
> \startpositionoverlay{arrow}
> \setMPpositiongraphic{X-1}{mypos:arrow}{to=X-2}
> \setMPpositiongraphic{X-2}{mypos:arrow}{to=X-3}
> \stoppositionoverlay
> \defineoverlay[arrow][\positionoverlay{arrow}]
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=arrow]
>

> \starttext
>
> \section {Anchors and layers}
>
> In a previous section we saw that some \hpos{X-1}{words} were
> \hpos{X-2}{circled} and connected by an \hpos{X-3}{arrow}.
> As with most things in \CONTEXT, marking these words is separated
> from declaring what to do with those words. This paragraph is keyed
> in as:
>
> \stoptext

context testsuite
http://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/latest/cont-tst.7z

doc/context/tests/mkiv/metafun/connected-001.tex

\startMPdefinitions
    % I don't know why this does not get loaded automatically. Answer:
seldom needed.
    input mp-abck.mpiv;
\stopMPdefinitions

@ 2016-03-24 17:24     ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2016-03-24 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
http://okle.pl

* Re: metafun
@ 2016-03-24 17:23   ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2016-03-24 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,

The solution shown here no longer works with recent beta (indeed, it
probably ceased to work some time ago). How should it be corrected?

Best

Piotr

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Herbert Voss wrote:
>
>> It is a hard job to understand how all works ...
>

> I agree. That chapter is confusing if you do not know already how the
> mechanism
> works.
>
>> I tried to create the first example of the
>> documentation "Page 257 Anchors and layers",
>> but failed with mkii and iv. The page is created,
>> but without the graphical elements. Not using
>> \startbuffer--\stopbuffer makes no difference.
>

> You are simply setting the positions. You also need to tell ConTeXt to do
> something with the positions.
>
> 1. First define a position graphic that does something with the anchors that
> it is passed.
>
> \startMPpositiongraphic{mypos:arrow}
>   pair c[] ;
>   initialize_box(\MPpos{\MPvar{self}});
>   c[1] := cxy ;
>   initialize_box(\MPpos{\MPvar{to}});
>   c[2] := cxy ;
>   drawarrow c[1] -- c[2] withpen pencircle scaled 2bp ;
> \stopMPpositiongraphic
>
> cxy is the center of the box. See the defn of initialize_box in mp-core.mp
> for other values. I wish these were better documented.
>
> 2. Then define a position overlay that specifies the relation between the
> anchors.
>
> \startpositionoverlay{arrow}
> \setMPpositiongraphic{X-1}{mypos:arrow}{to=X-2}
> \setMPpositiongraphic{X-2}{mypos:arrow}{to=X-3}
> \stoppositionoverlay
>

> 3. Define an overlay that is mapped to MP position overlay.
>
> \defineoverlay[arrow][\positionoverlay{arrow}]
>
> 4. Hook the overlay as a page background
>
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=arrow]
>
> 5. Then everything will work.
>
> \starttext
>
> \section {Anchors and layers}
>
> In a previous section we saw that some \hpos{X-1} {words} were
> \hpos{X-2}{circled} and connected by an \hpos{X-3} {arrow}.
> As with most things in \CONTEXT, marking these words is separated
> from declaring what to do with those words. This paragraph is keyed
> in as:
>
> \stoptext
>
> Aditya

http://okle.pl

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-23 22:14 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-23 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-10-23 19:34 Herbert Voss
From: Herbert Voss @ 2010-10-23 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is a hard job to understand how all works ...
I tried to create the first example of the
documentation "Page 257 Anchors and layers",
but failed with mkii and iv. The page is created,
but without the graphical elements. Not using
\startbuffer--\stopbuffer makes no difference.

MTXrun | current version: 2010.07.30 11:35

Herbert

\starttext

\section {Anchors and layers}

\startbuffer[a]
\setMPpositiongraphic{X-1}{mypos:arrow}{to=X-2}
\setMPpositiongraphic{X-2}{mypos:arrow}{to=X-3}
\stopbuffer

\startbuffer[b]
In a previous section we saw that some \hpos {X-1} {words} were
\hpos {X-2} {circled} and connected by an \hpos {X-3} {arrow}.
As with most things in \CONTEXT, marking these words is separated
from declaring what to do with those words. This paragraph is keyed
in as:
\stopbuffer

\getbuffer[a,b]

\stoptext

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-23 10:49     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-10-23 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Friday 22 October 2010 16:06:06 Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 12:42 AM, Kevin D. Robbins wrote:
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > Is the new MetaFun manual available for download? The only PDFs I could
> > find of the MetaFun manual were dated to 2002.
>
> The new version is on the web site now.

Hello everyone.

Today, I received the printed version of the new MetaFun manual. It is very
nice to have on hand.

Of course, I am also glad to now have the electronic version on my computer to
use as a working reference. But this does not replace reading the printed
version in order to discover the richness of possibilities that I do not yet
use.

Alan

For those who are not aware of the availability of the printed version, see:
http://www.boekplan.com/

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-22 16:09         ` Kevin D. Robbins
From: Kevin D. Robbins @ 2010-10-22 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks! I'll grab it right now.

Kevin

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> On 10/22/2010 04:20 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> The new version is on the web site now.
>>>

>> I wondered who would notice first -)
>>

> I usually win such races because I have an hourly rsync running :)
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-22 15:29         ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2010-10-22 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 oct. 2010, at 16:22, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> On 10/22/2010 04:20 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> The new version is on the web site now.
>>
>> I wondered who would notice first -)
>
> I usually win such races because I have an hourly rsync running :)
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

…so one has to visit the website very often :-)
By the way, I found that there is a new setup commands manual, in several languages (French, Italian among others):
	http://www.pragma-ade.nl/show-man-10.htm
Best regards: OK

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-22 15:28         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-22 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-10-2010 5:12, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 22.10.2010 um 16:20 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> The screen version (no change in the interface) looks nice on an ipad.
>
> Indeed, S6 is the perfect page size on the ipad but what happened with the randomized „MetaFun“ in the text?

you want it back?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-22 15:12       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-22 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.10.2010 um 16:20 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> The screen version (no change in the interface) looks nice on an ipad.

Indeed, S6 is the perfect page size on the ipad but what happened with the randomized „MetaFun“ in the text?

Wolfgang

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-22 14:22       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-10-22 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-10-22 14:20     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-22 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-10-2010 4:06, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 12:42 AM, Kevin D. Robbins wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Is the new MetaFun manual available for download? The only PDFs I could
>> find of the MetaFun manual were dated to 2002.
>
> The new version is on the web site now.

I wondered who would notice first -)

The screen version (no change in the interface) looks nice on an ipad.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-22 14:06   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-10-22 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-10-21  7:10   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-21  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21-10-2010 12:42, Kevin D. Robbins wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Is the new MetaFun manual available for download? The only PDFs I could find
> of the MetaFun manual were dated to 2002.
>
> Kevin
>
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:03 AM, Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  wrote:

they will be online soon (also new screen version)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-20 22:42 ` Kevin D. Robbins
From: Kevin D. Robbins @ 2010-10-20 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Is the new MetaFun manual available for download? The only PDFs I could find
of the MetaFun manual were dated to 2002.

Kevin

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:03 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At the context conference Taco presented a new initiative with respect to
> manuals. For those who cannot (or don't want to) print and bind at home we
> offer a printing on demand service. This week we send out the first copies
> of the (new) metafun manual:
>
> http://www.boekplan.nl/node/9
>
> More will follow. We hope that this will (partially) answer the need for
> manuals. We still have to find out which manuals (also new ones) should
> become available as it takes a bit of effort to keep this flow running and
> to turn manuals in some book-like form, so best keep an eye on the site if
> you're interested.
>
> Hans & Taco

>    tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-20 12:49   ` Vedran Miletić
From: Vedran Miletić @ 2010-10-20 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/10/20 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 14:03, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> We still have to find out which manuals (also new ones) should
>> become available
>
> Offtopic: I would vote for TikZ manual (if author is still reachable).
>
> Mojca

He is, and he sometimes commits patches (even though most of the works
is done by Christian Feuersaenger). See this:
http://www.texample.net/tikz/

Off-topic: next release of TikZ/PGF is due very soon[1], so this
wouldn't be the right time to print manual for 2.0.

Regards,

--
Vedran Miletić

[1] http://bitbucket.org/rivanvx/beamer/issue/67/vertical-offset-of-slide-content-for-pages-1-with-current#comment-266195

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-20 12:23   ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2010-10-20 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/10/20 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 14:03, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Offtopic: I would vote for TikZ manual (if author is still reachable).

You mean pgfmanual.pdf? That's free, so it shouldn't be a legal problem.
But it's a thick brick...

Best
   Martin

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-20 12:17 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-10-20 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/20/2010 02:03 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> http://www.boekplan.nl/node/9

There is also an English website interface:

   http://www.boekplan.com/node/9

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: metafun
@ 2010-10-20 12:11 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-10-20 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 14:03, Hans Hagen wrote:

> We still have to find out which manuals (also new ones) should
> become available

Offtopic: I would vote for TikZ manual (if author is still reachable).

Mojca

* metafun
@ 2010-10-20 12:03 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-20 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

At the context conference Taco presented a new initiative with respect
to manuals. For those who cannot (or don't want to) print and bind at
home we offer a printing on demand service. This week we send out the
first copies of the (new) metafun manual:

http://www.boekplan.nl/node/9

More will follow. We hope that this will (partially) answer the need for
manuals. We still have to find out which manuals (also new ones) should
become available as it takes a bit of effort to keep this flow running
and to turn manuals in some book-like form, so best keep an eye on the
site if you're interested.

Hans & Taco

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* metafun
@ 2001-09-16  9:13 Hervé Rouault
From: Hervé Rouault @ 2001-09-16  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I get an error when i want to compile a file using btex, etex.

mpost does not anderstant -interaction = batchmode :

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525 (MiKTeX 2.1)

              run time : 4 seconds
              metapost : essai-mpgraph
                format : metafun
MPOST: unrecognized option `--interaction=batchmode'
MPOST: try `MPOST --help' for more information.

figures        : figure essai-mpgraph can not be found

Hervé

[-- Attachment #2: essai-mpgraph.mp --]

% runtime generated graphics of job "essai"
mpgraph:=1;
randomseed := 2475;
if unknown context_tool : input mp-tool ;
fi ;
if unknown context_spec : input mp-spec ;
fi ;
if unknown context_grph : input mp-grph ;
fi ;
defaultfont := "cmr10" ;
defaultscale := 12.0pt/10pt ;
graphictextformat := "context" ;
graphictextdirective "\global \loadfontdefinitionfileoncetrue " ;
if not known _data_prefix_ : string _data_prefix_ , _data_suffix_ ;
fi ;
_data_prefix_ := "essai-mpd-" ;
_data_suffix_ := ".mpd" ;
boolean collapse_data ;
collapse_data := true ;
_data_suffix_ := ".mpd" ;
cmykcolors := true ;
color OverlayColor, OverlayLineColor ;
OverlayWidth := 597.51323pt ;
OverlayHeight := 426.78743pt ;
OverlayDepth := 426.78743pt ;
OverlayColor := (0,0,0) ;
OverlayLineWidth := 0pt;
OverlayLineColor := (0,0,0) ;
BaseLineSkip := 14.46669pt;
LineHeight := 14.46669pt;
BodyFontSize := 12.0pt;
StrutHeight := 10.41603pt;
StrutDepth := 4.05064pt;
CurrentWidth := 426.78743pt;
CurrentHeight := 597.51323pt;
EmWidth := 11.74988pt;
ExHeight := 5.16667pt;
PageNumber := 1;
RealPageNumber := 1;
LastPageNumber := 1;
prologues := 2;
if unknown context_page : input mp-page ;
fi ;
boolean PageStateAvailable ;
PageStateAvailable := true ;
boolean OnRightPage ;
OnRightPage := true ;
def LoadPageState = OnRightPage := true;
RealPageNumber := 1;
PageNumber := 1;
NOfPages := 1;
PaperHeight := 845.04684pt;
PaperWidth := 597.50787pt;
PrintPaperHeight := 845.04684pt;
PrintPaperWidth := 597.50787pt;
TopSpace := 71.12546pt;
BackSpace := 71.13275pt;
MakeupHeight := 711.3191pt;
MakeupWidth := 426.78743pt;
TopHeight := 0.0pt;
TopDistance := 0.0pt;
HeaderHeight := 56.90294pt;
HeaderDistance := 0.0pt;
TextHeight := 597.51323pt;
FooterDistance := 0.0pt;
FooterHeight := 56.90294pt;
BottomDistance := 0.0pt;
BottomHeight := 0.0pt;
LeftEdgeWidth := 0.0pt;
LeftEdgeDistance := 0.0pt;
LeftMarginWidth := 75.58197pt;
LeftMarginDistance := 11.99829pt;
TextWidth := 426.78743pt;
RightMarginDistance := 11.99829pt;
RightMarginWidth := 75.58197pt;
RightEdgeDistance := 0.0pt;
RightEdgeWidth := 0.0pt;
PageOffset := 0pt;
PageDepth := 0pt;
enddef ;
if unknown context_core : input mp-core.mp ;
fi ;
;;
verbatimtex \global \loadfontdefinitionfileoncetrue  etex;
beginfig(1);
draw btex \int x^2 dx etex
;
endfig;
end.

[-- Attachment #3: essai.tex --]

\startuseMPgraphic{texte}
    draw btex \int x^2 dx etex;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\starttext

\useMPgraphic{texte}

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #4: essai.log --]

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525 (MiKTeX 2.1) (preloaded format=cont-en 2001.9.15)  16 SEP 2001 11:12
**essai.tex
(essai.tex{pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2001.9.14  fmt: 2001.9.15  int: english  mes: english

language       : language fr is active
system         : cont-new loaded
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\cont-fil.tex
)
system         : cont-sys loaded
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\cont-sys.tex
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki is reset
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\spec-tpd.tex <unprotect 2>
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 3> <unprotect 4>
<protect 4> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf loaded
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2-fr-2 2-en-2 2-de-2 2-es-2 2-nl-2 loaded
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
system         : essai.top loaded
(./essai.top
specials       : fdf,tpd is reset
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\spec-tpd.tex <unprotect 2>
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 3> <unprotect 4>
<protect 4> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf loaded
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
) (./essai.tuo) (./essai.tuo) (./essai.tuo) (./essai.tuo) (./essai.tuo)
(./essai.tuo) (./essai.tuo) (./essai.tuo) (./essai.tuo) (./essai.tuo)
(./essai.tuo) (./essai.tuo) (./essai.tuo)
systems        : begin file essai at line 5
Randomizer initialized to 790051720.
system(texexec --batch --output=dvips --mpformat=metafun --mptex --nomp --once
essai-mpgraph)...executed.

figures        : figure essai-mpgraph can not be found
[1.1
! pdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier (name{page:1}) ha
s been already used, duplicate ignored

\actualshipout ...ostponedcontent \box 0}}
                                          \else \message {[\ifarrangi...
\myshipout ...sisrealpage {\realfolio }#1}
                                          \fi \gotonextrealpage \napa...
\dofinaloutput ... #1#2\setpagecounters }}
                                          \fi \the \everyaftershipout...
\finaloutput ...cteerd \dofinaloutput #1#2
                                          \else \donofinaloutput #1#2...
\sidefloatoutput ...\finalsidefloatoutput
                                          \global \sidefloatvsize =\n...
\doifdefinedelse ...test \doprocesstest #3
                                          \else \let \donottest \dopr...
l.9 \stoptext
             {psfonts.map}]
systems        : end file essai at line 9
 )<cmr10.pfb><cmr12.pfb>
Output written on essai.pdf (1 page, 10800 bytes).

* Re: metafun
@ 2001-03-21 15:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-03-21 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

There are dozens of methods, like:

% interface=en output=pdftex

\setupcolors[state=start]

\starttext

\setMPtext{1}{\framed[width=2cm,height=2cm,frame=off]{Hi There}}
\setMPtext{2}{\framed[width=2cm,height=2cm,frame=off]{Ha Michael}}
\setMPtext{3}{\framed[width=2cm,height=2cm,frame=off]{Is he Dutch}}
\setMPtext{4}{\framed[width=2cm,height=2cm,frame=off]{Or Yank}}
\setMPtext{5}{\framed[width=2cm,height=2cm,frame=off]{Or \TeX\ user}}

\startMPcode

def circle (expr s,xy) =
  drawoptions () ;
  picture img ;
  img := image
    ( picture pic ; pic := textext(s) ;
      path pat ; pat := fullcircle xyscaled (urcorner pic-llcorner pic) ;
      fill pat withcolor .8white ;
      draw pat withcolor .8red ;
      addto currentpicture also pic ; ) ;
  draw img shifted center img shifted xy ;
enddef ;

z1 = ( 10,100) ; z2 = ( 50,200) ; z3 = (100,50) ;
z4 = (200,150) ; z5 = (300,100) ;

drawoptions (withpen pencircle scaled 2pt withcolor .8green) ;

for i=1 upto 5 :
  for j=i upto 5 :
    draw z[i] -- z[j] ;
  endfor ;
endfor ;

circle (\MPbetex{1},z1) ; circle (\MPbetex{2},z2) ;
circle (\MPbetex{3},z3) ; circle (\MPbetex{4},z4) ;
circle (\MPbetex{5},z5) ;

\stopMPcode

\stoptext

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* metafun
@ 2001-03-21 14:23 guravage m.a.
From: guravage m.a. @ 2001-03-21 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In preparing a presentation with contex,t I decided to generate the
illustrations a-la metafun.  My first graphic is a traditional flow chart
consisting of text in circles connected by arrowhead tipped lines. I'd use
context's own chart macros, but I don't think they're applicable here since I
want only straight lines connecting the centers of circle pairs. Instead, I
created a grid of circles using a combination of framed texts, each with a
circular background overlay. Looks good! Has anyone a suggestion how best to
draw lines between circle pairs? I have cannibalized Hans's `anchors and
layers' example that focuses on words, but I get the feeling I'm barking up
the wrong tree. I've attached a small example file, and would welcome any
suggestions how to proceed.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael A. Guravage                 Email: guravage.nlr.nl
National Aerospace Laboratory       Phone: +31 (0)20 511 3695

[-- Attachment #2: cm_dep.tex --]
[-- Type: application/x-tex , Size: 2242 bytes --]

* Re: MetaFun
@ 2000-12-12 16:18     ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2000-12-12 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc van Dongen <dongen@cs.ucc.ie> writes:

> Ed L Cashin (ecashin@coe.uga.edu) wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> : I don't know if this is your style or if it fits your application, but
> : instead of writing out a long list of points, I sometimes find it
> : easier to use a for loop.
> :
> : I can declare a metapost array for holding points or paths, and then
> : initialize it using a for loop and some simple math.  It makes the
> : code much easier to read, understand, and maintain.
>
> What I meant was that I didn't know what the coordinates
> were at all. I used xfig to draw part of the picture and
> made it dump the coordinates so that I could use them in
> metapost. It seems a bit convoluted.

Oh!  Neat that xfig does that.  I misunderstood.  :)

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: MetaFun
@ 2000-12-12 15:48   ` Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2000-12-12 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed L Cashin (ecashin@coe.uga.edu) wrote:

[snip]

: I don't know if this is your style or if it fits your application, but
: instead of writing out a long list of points, I sometimes find it
: easier to use a for loop.
:
: I can declare a metapost array for holding points or paths, and then
: initialize it using a for loop and some simple math.  It makes the
: code much easier to read, understand, and maintain.

What I meant was that I didn't know what the coordinates
were at all. I used xfig to draw part of the picture and
made it dump the coordinates so that I could use them in
metapost. It seems a bit convoluted.

Regards.

Marc

* Re: MetaFun
@ 2000-12-12 15:35 ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2000-12-12 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc van Dongen <dongen@cs.ucc.ie> writes:

> Hello,
>

> This time no questions.
> I hope some people will enjoy the metafun appended
> below. I'm sure it could have done a bit more
> elegantly, but this does the trick as well. (See
> also: htpp://www.cs.ucc.ie/~dongen/xmas.pdf (55020 bytes).

Great!  Thanks.

> In case some people are wondering; I did part of
> the picture in xfig first and then used the
> coordinates to write the metapost code. If people
> know of better (more clever) ways of doing this
> then I would be delighted to find out.

I don't know if this is your style or if it fits your application, but
instead of writing out a long list of points, I sometimes find it
easier to use a for loop.

I can declare a metapost array for holding points or paths, and then
initialize it using a for loop and some simple math.  It makes the
code much easier to read, understand, and maintain.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* MetaFun
@ 2000-12-11 13:56 Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2000-12-11 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

This time no questions.
I hope some people will enjoy the metafun appended
below. I'm sure it could have done a bit more
elegantly, but this does the trick as well. (See
also: htpp://www.cs.ucc.ie/~dongen/xmas.pdf (55020 bytes).

In case some people are wondering; I did part of
the picture in xfig first and then used the
coordinates to write the metapost code. If people
know of better (more clever) ways of doing this
then I would be delighted to find out.

Regards,

Marc van Dongen
--
     Marc van Dongen, CS Dept | phone:  +353 21 4903578
University College Cork, NUIC | Fax:    +353 21 4903113

% Escher: drawing 87
% Ref: Doris Schattschneider,
%      M.C.~Escher {\em Visions of Symmetry},
%      ISBN: 0-7167-2126-0

beginfig(1);
  pair p[], xshift, yshift, origin, offset;
  path line[], bird, drawing;
  color WHITE, YELLOW, GREY, colour;
  YELLOW  = 0.97(1,1,0.8);
  WHITE  = (1,1,1);
  GREY   = 0.90YELLOW;
  width  = 279.4mm;
  height = 215.9mm;
  s := 0.045;
  %
  p1  = (750,8000-4950);
  p2  = (1050,8000-4950);
  p3  = (2100,8000-4800);
  p4  = (2925,8000-4650);
  p5  = (4050,8000-5100);
  p6  = (4050,8000-5550);
  p7  = (3750,8000-6075);
  p8  = (3150,8000-6900);
  p9  = (3075,8000-7500);
  p10 = (3525,8000-7950);
  p11 = (4275,8000-8775);
  p12 = (5400,8000-9300);
  p13 = (4725,8000-8550);
  p14 = (4275,8000-7725);
  p15 = (4875,8000-8325);
  p16 = (5550,8000-8700);
  p17 = (5100,8000-7950);
  p18 = (4800,8000-7125);
  p19 = (5400,8000-7725);
  p20 = (6150,8000-8100);
  p21 = (5550,8000-7275);
  p22 = (5250,8000-6375);
  p23 = (5850,8000-7050);
  p24 = (6600,8000-7500);
  p25 = (6075,8000-6675);
  p26 = (5700,8000-5775);
  p27 = (6975,8000-7125);
  p28 = (8625,8000-7950);
  p29 = (7875,8000-7350);
  p30 = (7275,8000-6750);
  p31 = (8175,8000-7200);
  p32 = (9150,8000-7425);
  p33 = (8325,8000-6975);
  p34 = (7725,8000-6375);
  p35 = (8550,8000-6750);
  p36 = (9525,8000-6825);
  p37 = (8625,8000-6450);
  p38 = (8100,8000-6000);
  p39 = (9000,8000-6300);
  p40 = (9975,8000-6300);
  p41 = (9075,8000-6000);
  p42 = (8400,8000-5550);
  p43 = (9525,8000-5925);
  p44 = (10425,8000-5925);
  p45 = (9300,8000-5550);
  p46 = (8250,8000-5100);
  p47 = (7275,8000-4875);
  p48 = (6300,8000-4800);
  p49 = (7275,8000-4500);
  p50 = (8400,8000-4500);
  p51 = (7500,8000-4050);
  p52 = (6825,8000-3900);
  p53 = (7800,8000-3825);
  p54 = (8700,8000-3975);
  p55 = (7875,8000-3375);
  p56 = (7050,8000-3075);
  p57 = (8175,8000-3150);
  p58 = (8925,8000-3450);
  p59 = (8175,8000-2775);
  p60 = (7350,8000-2400);
  p61 = (8250,8000-2475);
  p62 = (9225,8000-3000);
  p63 = (8850,8000-2100);
  p64 = (8400,8000-1650);
  p65 = (9300,8000-1200);
  p66 = (8100,8000-1875);
  p67 = (7200,8000-1575);
  p68 = (5850,8000-1500);
  p69 = (5625,8000-2025);
  p70 = (5475,8000-2400);
  p71 = (5100,8000-3000);
  p72 = (4650,8000-3750);
  p73 = (3525,8000-3450);
  p74 = (2550,8000-3075);
  p75 = (2325,8000-3375);
  p76 = (2100,8000-3600);
  p77 = (1425,8000-4050);
  p78 = (975,8000-4350);
  p79 = (525,8000-4875);
  p80 = (1840,8000-4600);
  p81 = (2375,8000-4550);
  p82 = (2475,8000-3975);
  line1  = p79..p1..p2..p3..p4..p5;
  line2  = p9..p10..p11..p12--
           p12..p13..p14--
           p14..p15..p16--
           p16..p17..p18--
           p18..p19..p20--
           p20..p21..p22--
           p22..p23..p24--
           p24..p25..p26--
           p26..p27..p28--
           p28..p29..p30--
           p30..p31..p32--
           p32..p33..p34--
           p34..p35..p36--
           p36..p37..p38--
           p38..p39..p40--
           p40..p41..p42--
           p42..p43..p44--
           p44..p45..p46--
           p46..p47..p48--
           p48..p49..p50--
           p50..p51..p52--
           p52..p53..p54--
           p54..p55..p56--
           p56..p57..p58--
           p58..p59..p60--
           p60..p61..p62--
           p62..p66..p67..p68;
  % beak (A comment at the right place does miracles.)
  line3  = p62..p63..p64;
  line4  = p72..p73..p74;
  % beak (Another carfuly positioned comment.)
  line5  = p79..p80..p81;
  line6  = p5..p6..p7..p8..p9;
  line7  = p74..p75..p76..p77..p78..p78..p79;
  line8  = p68..p69..p70..p71..p72;
  xshift = s*(p28 + p62 - p9 - p74);
  yshift = s*(p62 - p9);
  bird   = line1--line6--line2--line8--line4--line7--cycle;
  colour = YELLOW;
  fill (0,0)--(width,0)--(width,height)--(0,height)--cycle
       withcolor WHITE;
  for x=-1 upto 1:
    for y=-1 upto 3:
      offset := x*xshift + y*yshift;
      fill bird scaled s shifted offset withcolor YELLOW;
      pickup pencircle scaled 2pt;
      for i=1 upto 5:
        draw line[i] scaled s
             shifted offset withcolor GREY;
      endfor;
      pickup pencircle scaled 2pt;
      fill (-150s,0)..(0,150s)..(150s,0)..cycle shifted (s*p65+offset) withcolor WHITE;
      fill (-60s,0)..(0,60s)..(60s,0)..cycle shifted (s*p65+offset) withcolor GREY;
      draw (-150s,0)..(0,150s)..(150s,0)..cycle shifted (s*p65+offset) withcolor GREY;
      fill (-150s,0)..(0,150s)..(150s,0)..cycle shifted (s*p82+offset) withcolor WHITE;
      fill (-60s,0)..(0,60s)..(60s,0)..cycle shifted (s*p82+offset) withcolor GREY;
      draw (-150s,0)..(0,150s)..(150s,0)..cycle shifted (s*p82+offset) withcolor GREY;
      pickup pencircle xscaled 6pt;
      for i=6 upto 8:
        draw line[i] scaled s shifted offset withcolor GREY;
      endfor;
    endfor;
  endfor;
  pickup pencircle scaled 1;
  draw (0,0)--(width,0)--(width,height)--(0,height)--cycle
       withcolor WHITE;
  drawing = unitsquare xscaled width yscaled height;
  clip currentpicture to drawing;
  draw drawing;
endfig;

* Re: metafun
       [not found] ` <4.3.2.7.0.20000912152319.00b2ae30@rzdspc1.informatik.uni-h amburg.de>
@ 2000-09-13  7:39 ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2000-09-13  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just uploaded the preliminary versions of the metafun manuals. You can
> access them vis the beta page:

I only skimmed it, but it looks wonderful. That's precisely what I've
needed.
Many thanks, Mr. Hagen.

Michal Kvasnicka

P.S. Let me express my thanks to you also for your wonderful design---it's
a great opportunity for me to learn gratis from a Master.

--
Economics is the only field in which two people can get a Nobel Prize
for saying exactly the opposite things.

@ 2000-09-12 15:06   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-12 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:41 PM 9/12/00 +0200, Robert F. Beeger wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I browsed through it and what I saw looks fascinating.
>It's worth a reading, I think. And surely it can be used as a reference
>afterwards.
>By the way : I found two typos at page 1.
>"METAPOST on the other hand produces POSTSCRIPT code, which means that it
>has some features not present in METAPOST and vise versa."
>should be
>"METAPOST on the other hand produces POSTSCRIPT code, which means that it
>has some features not present in METAFONT and vice versa."
>
>Just a question: When will the next non-beta release of ConTeXt be released?
>What makes the actual beta still a beta? Well, that was more than one
>question. :)

When nobody has problems I can promote it to non beta

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: metafun
@ 2000-09-12 13:41 ` Robert F. Beeger
       [not found] ` <4.3.2.7.0.20000912152319.00b2ae30@rzdspc1.informatik.uni-h amburg.de>
From: Robert F. Beeger @ 2000-09-12 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I browsed through it and what I saw looks fascinating.
It's worth a reading, I think. And surely it can be used as a reference
afterwards.
By the way : I found two typos at page 1.
"METAPOST on the other hand produces POSTSCRIPT code, which means that it
has some features not present in METAPOST and vise versa."
should be
"METAPOST on the other hand produces POSTSCRIPT code, which means that it
has some features not present in METAFONT and vice versa."

Just a question: When will the next non-beta release of ConTeXt be released?
What makes the actual beta still a beta? Well, that was more than one
question. :)

Greets
    Robert

At 12:26 12.09.00 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just uploaded the preliminary versions of the metafun manuals. You can
>access them vis the beta page:
>
>www.pragma-ade.com/pragma-ade/beta.htm
>
>Keep in mind that some functionality may change (improve). You need the
>beta version of context to run things as described.
>
>The current version is far from complete and should not be redistributed.
>The manual is meant to be printed / viewed in color.
>
>Hans
>                                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>                       Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>  tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* metafun
@ 2000-09-12 10:26 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-12 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-07-24 20:20   ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-07-24 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> tex cannot do. The metafun manual I'm working on shows some.

I'm on the edge for it! :-)

--
*corvus tecum*
  -_hraban_-