* synopsis / column(set)s?
@ 2004-06-28 22:58 Alexander Klink
From: Alexander Klink @ 2004-06-28 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I am trying to make a synopsis, i.e a text where in the leftmost
column the original document can be read, in the middle the changes
and in the right column the reasons for the changes.

So basically I want to typeset first some text in the leftmost
column (over several pages, on a grid), and then the one in the
middle and then the one on the right.

Is there an easy way to do this using column(set)s?

Any help greatly appreciated ...

Greetings,
		AleX

* Re: synopsis / column(set)s?
@ 2004-06-29  8:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-06-29  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexander Klink wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am trying to make a synopsis, i.e a text where in the leftmost
>column the original document can be read, in the middle the changes
>and in the right column the reasons for the changes.
>
>So basically I want to typeset first some text in the leftmost
>column (over several pages, on a grid), and then the one in the
>middle and then the one on the right.
>
>Is there an easy way to do this using column(set)s?

maybe tabulations are more convenient:

\starttext

\definetabulate[ThreeOfThem][|p|p|p|]

\startThreeOfThem
\NC \input ward \NC \input zapf \NC \input bryson \NC \NR
\stopThreeOfThem

\stoptext

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* overstrikes and hyphenation (was Re: synopsis / column(set)s?)
@ 2004-07-04 22:07   ` Alexander Klink
From: Alexander Klink @ 2004-07-04 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 10:34:44AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >So basically I want to typeset first some text in the leftmost
> >column (over several pages, on a grid), and then the one in the
> >middle and then the one on the right.
> >
> >Is there an easy way to do this using column(set)s?
> maybe tabulations are more convenient:
thanks, this works exactly as I intended it.

But now I got yet another problem: I want to show that things have
changed in the original document by \overstrike-ing (or \overstrikes-ing)
them. Unluckily there seems to be no hyphenation once I do this. This
is especially ugly with the columns. Is there a way to turn hyphenation
on within \overstrikes?

Greetings,
		AleX

* Re: overstrikes and hyphenation (was Re: synopsis / column(set)s?)
@ 2004-07-14 14:25     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-07-14 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexander Klink wrote:

>Hi Hans,
>
>On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 10:34:44AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>>So basically I want to typeset first some text in the leftmost
>>>column (over several pages, on a grid), and then the one in the
>>>middle and then the one on the right.
>>>
>>>Is there an easy way to do this using column(set)s?
>>>

>>maybe tabulations are more convenient:
>>

>thanks, this works exactly as I intended it.
>
>But now I got yet another problem: I want to show that things have
>changed in the original document by \overstrike-ing (or \overstrikes-ing)
>them. Unluckily there seems to be no hyphenation once I do this. This
>is especially ugly with the columns. Is there a way to turn hyphenation
>on within \overstrikes?

no, the problem is that i kind of fake under/overlines and hyphenation would spoil that game.

The good news is that you can do:

\setuppapersize[S6][S6]

\definetextbackground[underline][location=text,alternative=1,background=,frame=off]

\definestartstop
  [underline]
  [before={\starttextbackground[underline]},
   after=\stoptextbackground]

\starttext

\input tufte
\starttextbackground[underline]\input tufte \stoptextbackground
\input tufte
\startunderline\input tufte \stopunderline
\input tufte

\stoptext

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE