* fighting with footnotes
@ 2004-07-15 14:07 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2004-07-15 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear posse,

I am having trouble with footnotes. For an article, I want some footnotes to
be symbolized by \ast, \dag, etc, but without affecting the numbering of
regular footnotes. For example, the title of article may have a footnote
symbolized by \ast, but the first footnote in the main text should still be
symbolized by `1' (then `2', etc). I tried localfootnotes but I could not get
them placed in the footer at the bottom of the page. [location=page] did not
help.

Related question: can't I just specify a footnote outside the counting
mechanism with any symbol I want at any point in the text, without disturbing
the regular counted footnotes?

I'm also confused by the conversion key. page 93 of the documentation reads:

"With the variable conversion you set up the type of numbering. You may even
use your own character, for example an emdash (keyed in as ---­)."

But if I do, e.g., conversion={---}, TeX complains of course. What am I
missing?

Related questions:

Where are the conversion keys set 2, set 3, etc. documented?

How can I reset the numbering if I make local changes? For example, I am using
regular default footnotes, then I switch to conversion=set 2, then I want to
reset to the default footnotes without losing my numbering. I thought that
[n=0] etc. might help but that key seems to affect the paragraph formatting of
the footnotes, not the numbering. I tried using \start-\stop but that does not
isolate the counting mechanism apparently.

Fighting TeX is really frustrating sometimes, and I'm sure the answers are
really simple...

Best
Idris

* Re: fighting with footnotes
@ 2004-07-16 10:35 ` Hans Hagen Outside
From: Hans Hagen Outside @ 2004-07-16 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

ishamid wrote:

>Dear posse,
>
>I am having trouble with footnotes. For an article, I want some footnotes to
>be symbolized by \ast, \dag, etc, but without affecting the numbering of
>regular footnotes. For example, the title of article may have a footnote
>symbolized by \ast, but the first footnote in the main text should still be
>symbolized by `1' (then `2', etc). I tried localfootnotes but I could not get
>them placed in the footer at the bottom of the page. [location=page] did not
>help.

\starttext

\unexpanded\def\myfootnote{\setupfootnotes[conversion=set 2]\footnote}

\chapter{test\myfootnote{test}}

test \footnote{test} test

\stoptext

since you're the footnote guy, collect such things on a todo list; later
i may consider adding support for cloned notes with different settings,
something:

\definenote[myfootnote][footnote]
\setupnote[myfootnote][conversion=set 2]

trivial to implement but i'm in a hurry now

>Related question: can't I just specify a footnote outside the counting
>mechanism with any symbol I want at any point in the text, without disturbing
>the regular counted footnotes?
>
>I'm also confused by the conversion key. page 93 of the documentation reads:
>
>"With the variable conversion you set up the type of numbering. You may even
>use your own character, for example an emdash (keyed in as ---­)."
>
>But if I do, e.g., conversion={---}, TeX complains of course. What am I
>missing?
>
>Related questions:
>
>Where are the conversion keys set 2, set 3, etc. documented?

core-con.tex

it's a generic mechanism to map number on symbols or anything you want
(see metafun manual for example of mapping onto graphics)

>How can I reset the numbering if I make local changes? For example, I am using
>regular default footnotes, then I switch to conversion=set 2, then I want to
>reset to the default footnotes without losing my numbering. I thought that
>[n=0] etc. might help but that key seems to affect the paragraph formatting of
>the footnotes, not the numbering. I tried using \start-\stop but that does not
>isolate the counting mechanism apparently.

numbering is global (makes sense sinc you use footnotes local)

>Fighting TeX is really frustrating sometimes, and I'm sure the answers are
>really simple...

\let\incrementnumber\verhoognummer
\let\decrementnumber\verlaagnummer

\resetnumber[footnote]
\decrementnumber[footnote]
\incrementnumber[footnote]

remind me to internationalize those commands -)

\unexpanded\def\myfootnote#1%
  {\setupfootnotes[conversion=set 2]\footnote{#1}\decrementnumber[footnote]}

\chapter{test\myfootnote{test}}

test \footnote{test} test

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE